P40 Build

moke

So it is finished.
We will be allowed to go out of the lock down in 15th of May so the maiden have to wait.
Till then I decided to ensure the imortalization of the "Flite test" of this bird.
Sorted a sq11 camera for it. You can see in the pictures what I came up with for mounting it using my 3d printer and some "velcro zip ties"
For the other perspective just ordered a baseball cap with action camera mount. Just have to wait for the delivery....
Enjoy
Any comments, tips are welcome.
very nice. Looking forward to hearing about the flight

daniZZ

So I tried to maiden it today
It was a very calm day almost no wind at all so I just can't explain what happened.
The P40 nose dived at first try, did it again at second try. This time the firewall came lose from the power pod.
Field repaired with duct tape, reinstalled the power pod and it nose dived again.
This time the hatch (which in my plane was part of the removable wing) taken the more beat, the power pod again came lose from the skewers in front of the fuse, over all the fuse is compromised.
I can't explain what happened, really can't, I can't say it was a pilot error because I did not had the chance to pilot it.
My setup from nose to tail:
64mm plastic spinner
9047 gemfan prop
2217 1250KV motor
45A ESC
1000 mAh zippy lipo (it was weighted to be similar weight with a 2200 Zippy. I have one 2200 but I wanted the first flite to be short, not so short as it turned out to be, and wanted to put the 2200 in for a longer flite after it. Obviously didn't had the chance)
Lipo saver
All around 9g SG90 servos
Volantex EX6 receiver.

CG wise it was balanced with both batteries at the first fold of the wing from the leading edge (see the picture where my finger is).

The other thing what is in explainable about today is that we had my daughte's plane also with us (a volantex mini train star which has giros' for stable flite). We tried to flite that one also and it nose dived also. we where unable to make it fly, it even turned around for up side down flite which for a giro stabilised plane is not normal. but it kept nose diving.
We successfully flite that one several times but today was impossible.....

Any thoughts?

See the carnage:
The whole front of the fuse has wrikles like the hatch.....

Attachments

• 20200515_195910A.jpg
    20200515_195910A.jpg
    722.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200515_195914A.jpg
    20200515_195914A.jpg
    690.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200515_195932A.jpg
    20200515_195932A.jpg
    582.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200515_195953A.jpg
    20200515_195953A.jpg
    784.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200515_195958A.jpg
    20200515_195958A.jpg
    734.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200515_200012A.jpg
    20200515_200012A.jpg
    688.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Homey

Elite member
It was a very calm day almost no wind at all so I just can't explain what happened.
The P40 nose dived at first try, did it again at second try. This time the firewall came lose from the power pod.
Field repaired with duct tape, reinstalled the power pod and it nose dived again.
This time the hatch (which in my plane was part of the removable wing) taken the more beat, the power pod again came lose from the skewers in front of the fuse, over all the fuse is compromised.
I can't explain what happened, really can't, I can't say it was a pilot error because I did not had the chance to pilot it.
64mm plastic spinner
9047 gemfan prop
2017 1250KV motor
45A ESC
1000 mAh zippy lipo (it was weighted to be similar weight with a 2200 Zippy. I have one 2200 but I wanted the first flite to be short, not so short as it turned out to be, and wanted to put the 2200 in for a longer flite after it. Obviously didn't had the chance)
Lipo saver
Volantex EX6 receiver.

CG wise it was balanced with both batteries at the first fold of the wing from the leading edge (see the picture where my finger is).

The other thing what is in explainable about today is that we had my daughte's plane also with us (a volantex mini train star which has giros' for stable flite). We tried to flite that one also and it nose dived also. we where unable to make it fly, it even turned around for up side down flite which for a giro stabilised plane is not normal. but it kept nose diving.

Any thoughts?

See the carnage:
The whole front of the fuse has wrikles like the hatch.....[/QUOTE

Sounds like your elevator may be reversed. If everything balances and even the Volantex with stabilizer doesn't fly, that's all I can think of. Maybe check your TX.

Peter

daniZZ

I'll check the elevator, even I checked it before flite, looked good that time but really I can't recall now how it moved. Other problem could be the launching. I didn't had something I could use as a runway, an being only with my daughter I tried to hand-launch myself, maybe I didn't give it enough impulse aka air speed...
Don't know....

By the way, the volantex trainstar mini has it's own dedicated TX without the possibility of reversing controls...............
Strange I know..

daniZZ

Just a short question.
I have to rebuild the power pod because it is very beaten up. I don't want to make it again out of foam board, just don't trust in it anymore for that piece. Found a 3d printable c pack power pod for the ft Guinea pig. Will it fit my existing p40 fuselage????

daniZZ

Hi guys
Need your help
Can you please share the AUW of your P40's.
I think mine was way to heavy....

daniZZ

Silly question, but are you sure the gyro unit is aligned correctly?
If you are asking about the volantex trainstar mini., except charging the battery and changing the propeller (the last one broke) I did not do anything to it compared to last time when it flite perfectly.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
64mm plastic spinner
9047 gemfan prop
2017 1250KV motor
45A ESC
Lipo saver
Volantex EX6 receiver.

Any thoughts?

See the carnage:
The whole front of the fuse has wrikles like the hatch.....
I think it is so cool your daughter is getting involved. There needs to be more girls in the hobby for sure. Lets see if we can get you guys airborne.

So looking ay your specs on the plane i am looking at the size of the motor and battery and i would say both are small, so this might translate to it being tail heavy. But you said it balances as is so that wouldnt be the issue. Unless you try the 2200 maybe going a bit more nose heavy would help. Remeber just because you have a larger battery in there doesnt mean you have to use it all. Sometimes when i maiden a plane i will use a whole 2200 just to het it sorted out. The motor itself could be to small for the airframe. Lack of power will make it tip stall from the launch. Maybe a 2212 would be a better option. Other then tthat it comes down to you as the pilot. Launch could be done with about 75% throttle and then pulled back once it establishes its ideal flight speed, usually will fly lofty at around 50-60%. You gotta toss it like you mean it and the throttle should want to pull it out of your hands, like you have to hold it back. Some video of your launch attempts will seriously help the diagnosis though

daniZZ

Hold on, are you saying that a 2212 would be better than the 2217?
I don't want to question it but I bought the 2217 just to have a more powerful motor. I already have a 2212 1400 kv, but I thought that the 2217 is more powerful.
Can you please just turn back the light on me please....

Thanks

Sory, just seen the light.
I just re read my own post you are quoting and seen that accidentally I written 2017 instead of 2217.
So my motor is a 2217 7T 1250 kv. I think that this should be enough...
But again I can't trust my judgment anymore.... I used to think it will fly... :(

Last edited:

daniZZ

I must have misunderstood. You wrote 2017 1250kv on the post you linked me to
No, it was my mistake, mistype, in that post.
Edited it right now.
So the diagnostics is "severe pilot-itis"
I would like to make it suitable for rolling take-off, don't trust my hands any more, and it felt awkward to throw it....

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
No, it was my mistake, mistype, in that post.
Edited it right now.
So the diagnostics is "severe pilot-itis"
I would like to make it suitable for rolling take-off, don't trust my hands any more, and it felt awkward to throw it....
FT has a series of beginner pilot vids that might help. Or even go on YT to see some hand launches.

Judging by what you just said as far as the rolling take off is that you are stalling once airborne. You will want to ease the power up progressively and let the plane lift itself instead of forcing the elevation gain with elevator. It will take more runway but the plane will do the work for you. And keep the throttle on till it gets up to flying speed then roll back the power after. On the ground the motor has to work against drag. To lift off it need to not only fight drag but gravity pulling it down as well so its work load more then doubles. So it needs power to begin with. Kinda like driving a car. You accelerate to get up to speed, then once reached you let off the pedal to cruise. Same thing

moke

admire that you are sticking with it. don't give up on this. give it some throttle and enough up elevator to get it off the ground,,,,then get a 'few mistakes high'. Also, on the P40, I found that setting lower rates for first couple of flights really helped me get it dialed in nicely. On high rates with the motor and battery set up you have it can be fast, aerobatic and a handful to keep up with until you have some experience

daniZZ

admire that you are sticking with it. don't give up on this. give it some throttle and enough up elevator to get it off the ground,,,,then get a 'few mistakes high'. Also, on the P40, I found that setting lower rates for first couple of flights really helped me get it dialed in nicely. On high rates with the motor and battery set up you have it can be fast, aerobatic and a handful to keep up with until you have some experience

Yes I know, I'm stubborn but if it would went nicely, I would not have the chance to build another one.
That way I can become a master builder even if I'm not a good pilot.
RC car racing was way easier (as long you didn't had to turn;)...) I remember I had some part of flying with the short course truck, but back then I was hoping it would come back down not to stay in the air...

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Yes I know, I'm stubborn but if it would went nicely, I would not have the chance to build another one.
That way I can become a master builder even if I'm not a good pilot.
RC car racing was way easier (as long you didn't had to turn;)...) I remember I had some part of flying with the short course truck, but back then I was hoping it would come back down not to stay in the air...
When i started i felt the same way buddy. I think i said before that my building and fixing skills well surpassed my piloting skills in the beginning, still does in most cases lol

Cobra1365

Assuming you’re taking off from the ground (rolling takeoff), check how much deflection you have in your elevator. You may have too much throw and when you think you‘re giving it just a little, you’re giving it quite a bit.
A buddy had this happen on his Corsair. Dialed the throw back to 70% and all is good.

If you’re hand launching, does the airplane pitch up THEN dive into the ground? If so, it’s again, too much deflection or a tail heavy cg, resulting in a stall. If it just goes down right after tossing, check the incidence of the wings and of the horizontal stab. If the horizontal stab is angled down, it could be forcing the airplane up a bit. Then, you add elevator and over she goes. It’s unlikely, as it’s happening with two different airplanes.

Last edited: