P40 Build

daniZZ

Assuming you’re taking off from the ground (rolling takeoff), check how much deflection you have in your elevator. You may have too much throw and when you think you‘re giving it just a little, you’re giving it quite a bit.
A buddy had this happen on his Corsair. Dialed the throw back to 70% and all is good.

In the first maiden I had a simple radio without settable dual rate values. I was using the preset low rates but for the second try I already got my flysky FST6 and cut out a throw gauge from the FT Mustang plans and set up the throws accordingly.

[QUOTE="
If you’re hand launching, does the airplane pitch up THEN dive into the ground? If so, it’s again, too much deflection or a tail heavy cg, resulting in a stall. If it just goes down right after tossing, check the incidence of the wings and of the horizontal stab. If the horizontal stab is angled down, it could be forcing the airplane up a bit. Then, you add elevator and over she goes. It’s unlikely, as it’s happening with two different airplanes.[/QUOTE]

Exactly that happened on the second attempt. It was going up in rocket like position and after releasing the elevator it was coming down in a rock like manner.. But how I already sad, I had the deflections dialed in according to the Mustang throw gauge.
By the way it was the same plane just repaired after the first "Flite test" failed.....
That means I should move the Cg more forward?????

Last edited:

daniZZ

Judging by what you just said as far as the rolling take off is that you are stalling once airborne.

I had no chance to try rolling take off. The wheels were really too small for the grass on the runway and they just refused to move. That lead to the plane tipping forward, pivoting around the wheel axis if I applied throttle enough to move the plane forward. I was trying it at home on a rug and after let's say 20% throttle the plane started to taxi nicely and slowly, but on the runway after 29-25% it was tiling nose down and start cutting the grass with the propeller.
In mather of fact, I gust realise that my propeller spent most of it's time in the grass. Let me just go back to check did I Downloaded the P40 plane or the P40 lawn mower..... :confused:

Cobra1365

I’m thinking you have a combination of what I mentioned.
For CG...measure the chord of the wing where it meets the fuselage. Move your CG to a third of that measurement from the leading edge (again where it meets the fuselage). Balance it with the airplane upside down. That should get you in the ball park.
For the elevator deflection, even though it’s set according to the plans, adjust how much throw you have. This can be done on the control horns.

Marty72

Elite member
Hi guys
Need your help
Can you please share the AUW of your P40's.
I think mine was way to heavy....

Hi DaniZZ,

The AUW on my P 40 is 749g (including battery), ready to fly. The CG I settled on was 1.75 inches (4.44 cm), spec was 2.0 inches (5.1 cm). If you are between these two numbers, the plane will definitely fly (the range is likely even wider).

Now I have a couple questions and suggestions. How new are you to flying RC planes? You mentioned a small trainer (w/ gyro), are you currently able to fly that with the same transmitter as the are using for the P 40?

Without video, it's going to be very difficult for members to diagnosis what went wrong. Video is extremely helpful, what you think happened, maybe different from what actually happened and video will point that out. The members on the forum can definitely make more helpful suggestions if they see video. With what you know right now, I'm not sure that building another P 40 and repeating your actions is going to give you a different result. Perhaps you should build an easier and much more durable FT plane like the Simple Scout (using all the same components). The Simple Scout is a great starter plane, very durable and will help you sort out your issues. Then, you can build the a new, even better P 40 (w/ the experience), and have a much better chance of success. All of this without buying anything other than foam.

daniZZ

Hi Marty

You are most probably right (in mather of fact I'm certain that you are right but it is hard to admit it)
If I would do it like that, most probably I would learn to fly the easy way, but than it wouldn't be me. I'm one of those guys who is buying a motorcycle before having a license for it and before ever sit on one (and here in Romania you have to go to a riding school and after that to do an riding test with a examinator policeman for a riding license), who is selling his Skoda to buy an Alfa Romeo just because of it's look (most probably those names are not meaning anything to you guys over the seas, but here the Skoda is considered to be between the most reliable brands and the Alfa's are just plain beauty....)
I know is not a thing to be proud off but I'm stubborn and determined. I'll build the P40 till I'll be able to fly it, just because I like the ease of building it and the look of it.
Till I'll done with it and I'll be able to handle it maybe they are releasing the P40 Master series and maybe it will be my next step....

Again huge post, sorry guys, maybe I'm better start building....

daniZZ

By the way building....

Look what I just bought :
Hot glue gun with charging cradle and wireless operation and li-Ion battery operated soldering iron...

Attachments

• IMG_20200528_192716.jpg
    IMG_20200528_192716.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200528_192724_1.jpg
    IMG_20200528_192724_1.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200528_192753.jpg
    IMG_20200528_192753.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200528_192757.jpg
    IMG_20200528_192757.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Hi Marty

You are most probably right (in mather of fact I'm certain that you are right but it is hard to admit it)
If I would do it like that, most probably I would learn to fly the easy way, but than it wouldn't be me. I'm one of those guys who is buying a motorcycle before having a license for it and before ever sit on one (and here in Romania you have to go to a riding school and after that to do an riding test with a examinator policeman for a riding license), who is selling his Skoda to buy an Alfa Romeo just because of it's look (most probably those names are not meaning anything to you guys over the seas, but here the Skoda is considered to be between the most reliable brands and the Alfa's are just plain beauty....)
I know is not a thing to be proud off but I'm stubborn and determined. I'll build the P40 till I'll be able to fly it, just because I like the ease of building it and the look of it.
Till I'll done with it and I'll be able to handle it maybe they are releasing the P40 Master series and maybe it will be my next step....

Again huge post, sorry guys, maybe I'm better start building....
I’ll admit I’ve never heard of Škoda, but we have Alfa Romeo’s here and they are gorgeous!

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Yes, it’s a Factory Five MKII kit. I built it 16 yrs ago and every time I get in it it’s like it’s new all over!
Their MK IV kit is pretty nice now. Pretty comprehensive kit.
Very nice! I bet it's exhilarating!! Did you use the running from a Fox Mustang?
What's crazy is you built that a year after I was born :LOL: