RC plane + 4th of July sparklers?

Innaviation

That's what I thought too but apparently you can still do "Consumer grade fireworks" which basically means firecrackers, Roman candles, bottle rockets, etc.

So I guess big fireworks aren't allowed but little ones are.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Well, since last weeks video I have struck another Idea regarding RC planes and fireworks. Although technically this isn't a firework I still think it might be a good Idea to put a smoke bomb on an RC plane.

Has anyone ever tried this before?

One of the guys at our field, who has a smoke system in one of his big 3D gassers, said it looks cool, right up until he starts doing harrier maneuvers or slow flight. You get a big ball of smoke around the plane, and it's next to impossible to see orientation. Next thing you know, you've got something that's wrecked because you went down instead of up.

If you REALLY want to try it, try it - just do it in something you don't care about losing, as I see much the same happening.

Park Invader

Well, since last weeks video I have struck another Idea regarding RC planes and fireworks. Although technically this isn't a firework I still think it might be a good Idea to put a smoke bomb on an RC plane.

Don't forget a heat shield because the smoke bomb can melt the foam.

"Corpse"

Legendary member
One of the guys at our field, who has a smoke system in one of his big 3D gassers, said it looks cool, right up until he starts doing harrier maneuvers or slow flight. You get a big ball of smoke around the plane, and it's next to impossible to see orientation. Next thing you know, you've got something that's wrecked because you went down instead of up.

If you REALLY want to try it, try it - just do it in something you don't care about losing, as I see much the same happening.
Me and @The Hangar's friends went out during independence day and stuck all the manner of fireworks onto the simple stick and simple cub. (I recommend the really bright fountains, they're great!) It was a blast!

Flyingshark

Master member

I think a long time ago, FliteTest put a smoke bomb on a Spitfire. I'll see if I can find the link on youtube.

[EDIT:]
Here it is:

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor

Smoke bombs are really cool to mount on planes! I just wish they lasted longer...
Don't forget a heat shield because the smoke bomb can melt the foam.
I just used a piece of clear packing tape and didn’t have any issues... on som I added a layer of tinfoil but I don’t think it made a difference at all.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
On the simple cub I did a low knife edge pass and it looked really cool how the rudder spread the smoke!

OliverW

Legendary member

NEVER RUN SMOKE!!! It destroys your planes. It's a big no no

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
NEVER RUN SMOKE!!! It destroys your planes. It's a big no no

It's some sort of special smoke system he bought from the AMA Expo a few years ago, allows him to switch it off and on. I don't know much more about it than that...

I personally don't run gas/nitro, too messy for me, so if *I* see smoke, it's because something has gone REALLY wrong...:)

OliverW

Legendary member
It's some sort of special smoke system he bought from the AMA Expo a few years ago, allows him to switch it off and on. I don't know much more about it than that...

I personally don't run gas/nitro, too messy for me, so if *I* see smoke, it's because something has gone REALLY wrong...:)
Yep that's pretty common for the big 3D birds. I was given my Slick 580, and it has had so much smoke run through it that a gallon of acetone had to be run through the underside of the fuse to get all the smoke oil out of the wood so new covering could stick down.