RC plane + 4th of July sparklers?

Innaviation

I personally owned this, until I needed a part inside of it for something else, but it worked, provided certain conditions were met: 1: range sucks! not more than 100' or so.
https://www.toprace.com/product/top...-drone-delivery-holds-up-to-7-oz-tr-66-patent
it's the cheapest option, there are a number of more on Amazon, many over $100! Seems it woudn't be terribly difficult to fabricobble some sort of release, or ever better, an electric fuse sequenced with your release to actuate a second or 2 later! Electric fuse, think model Estes rockets, they sell electric fuses ready made to ignite their rockets. at over $1/ea it is easy enough to make your own: take some very very fine wire, like what's inside of twist ties holding your bag of bread closed, cut the head off a match ant bend your wire in half, glue match head where wire is bent (the bend in the wire is now a weak point, so it will get hot and red and blow first, when running sufficient current through it. Dip wire bent, glued match head in melted wax, this will provide a bit of fuel once the wire blows igniting your match head as well as provide a modicum of waterproofing. Make a few of these, experimenting with what is the lowest voltage possible wherein your wire still confligrates. Lowest possible means a bit of a delay, keep that in mind working out your release sequence. In lieu of fireworks, have you ever overwhelmed a capacitor? reverse polarity or too much current it goes up like a ladyfinger, firecracker, m80,... depending on the size of the capacitor and load attacking it. Someone mentioned a roman candle, I like the idea of using this as a sort of machine gun, Ohh, this could be great fun, disposable aircraft fireworks battle! it could be done over a body of water! Airplanes and drones, I live in Bothell, WA a bit NE of seattle, anyone nearby want in on this? Perhaps I'll figure soomething out and create an event
I don't live close to there but sounds like a ton of fun.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I'll likely just fly an American flag and maybe some red, white, and blue streamers from one of my planes.

We already have one wildfire here in the Tucson area that has been burning for over 2 weeks. The air outside is starting to look like the typical Southern California summer afternoon.

Man, I REALLY feel you on that...We've had so many idiots out here setting off illegal fireworks near the dry brush, I'm surprised we haven't had a wildfire break out yet. It happened over the weekend in Utah, and several friends of mine who live out there have been threatened with evacuations already. Having been through the Southern California wildfires in 2003 and 2007, and then having my work and home threatened by simultaneous fires at Camp Pendleton and Carlsbad, and then the Lilac fire of 2018, I have a very healthy respect for fires and how quickly they can get out of hand and spread.

I'd rather be safe and just use LEDs instead.

Timmy

Legendary member
Well, after a few weeks of planning and building we have finally flown a plane with 4th of July sparklers. We even got some awesome long exposure shots!
It would be cool if you put the sparklers in front of the wing to see how the air/sparks flow over the wing. I don't think the wing would catch fire with only those small sparks. But of course do it at your own risk.

Also I really appreciate that you did not say "like" very much. I think you and me are the only two teenagers that don't say "like" all the time.

Last edited:

Hoomi

Master member
Man, I REALLY feel you on that...We've had so many idiots out here setting off illegal fireworks near the dry brush, I'm surprised we haven't had a wildfire break out yet. It happened over the weekend in Utah, and several friends of mine who live out there have been threatened with evacuations already. Having been through the Southern California wildfires in 2003 and 2007, and then having my work and home threatened by simultaneous fires at Camp Pendleton and Carlsbad, and then the Lilac fire of 2018, I have a very healthy respect for fires and how quickly they can get out of hand and spread.

I'd rather be safe and just use LEDs instead.
The Bighorn Fire in the mountains just north of Tucson has now been burning for 3.5 weeks, and the last I saw, it was still under 55% contained. We've watched it work its way from the western end of the mountain range, and its now getting close to the eastern end of the range. It's burned nearly 120,000 acres already.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
The Bighorn Fire in the mountains just north of Tucson has now been burning for 3.5 weeks, and the last I saw, it was still under 55% contained. We've watched it work its way from the western end of the mountain range, and its now getting close to the eastern end of the range. It's burned nearly 120,000 acres already.

and yet they are still selling fireworks here... :rolleyes:

like the saying goes, "You can't spell crAZy without AZ!" :LOL:

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
and yet they are still selling fireworks here... :rolleyes:

like the saying goes, "You can't spell crAZy without AZ!" :LOL:

"Patriotism! 'Murica! DEAL WITH IT!"

*sigh* Whatever happened to safety and common sense?

Getting off of my soapbox now...

Anyway, lighting up a plane with LEDs looks great when it's up in the sky. :)

Hoomi

Master member
The problem with both common sense and common courtesy, is neither one is common any longer!

Sparklers? Fireworks? Phththt. These teenage thugs in MY neighborhood have been at it with the mega-explosions for more than three weeks. Enough fireworks. I'm just happy to get a day off!

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Better not use a plane you like too much... they always end up with a little battle damage 😉

20200702_162701.jpg

Innaviation

Well, since last weeks video I have struck another Idea regarding RC planes and fireworks. Although technically this isn't a firework I still think it might be a good Idea to put a smoke bomb on an RC plane.

Has anyone ever tried this before?