Robotech VF-9 that flies, maybe Hovers,

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
FTFMM - we have a green light.

FTFMM - This project is now back to being a GO!

Alright all who subscribed to the this project,
I will be getting this to flying shape for the FTFMM - challenge. My big/first design project I have had in the wings and feel that I must try and finish it.

Prior to now I have done much of the hard work, designed plans, built successfully from it and worked out most of the big build bugs. and I stalled at engine installation, camera installation, and lights and the maiden of course.

To which I say Poppycock!
CmdrMcBragg.jpg

Now I know I can do it.

I want to make a C-pack pusher prop version now to prove flight viability followed by the dual edf version. (available after the X-29 maiden)

RMDC

I don't know how I missed this thread. I only just found it today when I was searching for info on the Arrow (not sure how this was in the search results, but I'm not complaining :p ). Great minds must think alike (and fools must rarely differ), because I, too, wanted to work my skills up until I could make a VT with gerwalk capacity. Of course, in my case I was thinking of drastically simplifying the body. Now I'm eager to see how your incredible attention to detail fares.

FoamyDM

Glad you like is this thread should be seeing activity in the next couple of days. Right now I am building the flying flapjack. Details posted in the Build-ruary thread

FoamyDM

I haven't done a ton yet, but I have pulled it out and dusted it off.
I added a motor and hooked up the receiver to test controls.
1Prop drive.JPG

I have never been happy with the canard controls...
I know why now, too much slop and not enough range.
2Canard concern1.JPG 3Canard Concern2 Slop.JPG

I have to try/dream some things up...

Pieliker96

Elite member
As far as improving tolerances between the pushrod linkages goes, try cutting the arms off of some control horns and threading the wire through the holes. The horn should have at least three holes, and use the farthest apart possible to get it aligned as closely as possible with the pushrod. The canard control linkage should fit into the last hole.

In this specific case (steering linkage for a nose retract) I was able to get away with two holes, but it illustrates the idea.

New Bitmap Image.jpg

The fitment of the canard skewers could be improved by drilling some holes in old gift cards or the like and making plates that will hold each end of the skewer. The farther apart, the better.

Glad to see that this project is still alive :D

FoamyDM

Thank you... for the words of encouragement and suggestion on tight steering.

Based on the X-29 handling, I'm hoping to use the canard to assist the elevator authority... it looped slow.

Both my 64mm edfs are in my Viggen and X-29.
However, the X-29 isn't working for some mysterious reason, and may need.... dissection. and the Viggen needs a rebuild, so if this works, I may be moving onto stage 2 quickly...

Or I'll just build a Sky Terror! :p

kilroy07

Legendary member
So I just joined the community last September and all I can say is... WOW, just WOW! I am a HUGE Robotech fan and I had no idea someone was working on one of the designs. Well done man! Seriously, I am SO glad o hear you are working on this again! I might have to bump several design off my "todo" list to make room for this bad boy!

FoamyDM

In an effort to get this off the ground - literally, I will be gluing the canards in place. and sending it skyward (I hope.)

FoamyDM

Do I need V2 plans? I doubt I'll have time before the end of Feb. Flight Video? I'm hoping to.

FoamyDM

I have updated the first post with basic diagrams and pics and most importantly PLANS
I will add specs too.

FoamyDM

I put a larger more efficient prop, and tried. Taxi but had a wheel fail.
So I had to do the dreaded hand toss.
IMG_20190227_183917412.jpg

I might be able to salvage it. But I just don't know.

I think, based on the first toss that I may have been tail heavy. Hence the loop.

Qwenther

learned some new building tricks from a model I finished for a friend, which inspired me to keep moving. So, I'm excited to know the love and hope for this model hasn't gone away. Keep pressin on!
Ps: You gonna make this thing do what the video shows? :p:LOL: