Robotech VF-9 that flies, maybe Hovers,

I wouldn't put retracts, especially with a custom 90 degree twist, on the plane until the design has proven that it will fly. Right now I would suggest keeping it as light as possible and get a maiden done with the basic forward flight stuff only. Just to prove that it is possible.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Thanks for the Good advice.
I'll slap on basic gear and check it's flight viability. I'll try to get some maiden flight footage up when it's ready.

In the meantime any suggestions on how to make the custom retracts work.

Pieliker96

Elite member
This looks flippin' awesome, kind of suprised at how little replies this has. It'll have retracts, VTOL, thrust vectoring, AND missiles? I'm pretty sure at least one of these things has never been done before, and this combination certainly hasn't ;)

Looking forward to the VTOL system - seems extremely challenging.

FoamyDM

While I've been working out how the landing gear will attach and function I forgot to look at how they will lay/fit in the craft.

The front wheel is easy, it sits nicely in the front of the center bay. just need to ensure it will be secured well.
IMG_0698.JPG
IMG_0699.JPG
IMG_0700.JPG

The back wheels aren't as easy as I thought. The rotating Nacells aren't adequate places to put them nor is there room. and the adjacent area in the body is ~1.25" and shallow. This isn't enough for the nearly 2.25" o.d. 3/4" pipe insulation I used for the Wheel foam. I think I'll have to wrap the wheels in a black 3/16" foam from walmart black poster board. I'll have to figure this out for the Beta design.

Not wanting to waste a perfectly good landing gear, I will mount them attached to the spar next to the lower nacell pods, outboard.
IMG_0697.JPG RWheeliso.JPG RWheelTop.JPG
I tried to piece together a plastic guide to mount it in to have some shocks. the hot glue didn't adhere well to the scratched up gift card.I'm concerned about losing spar strength if I anchor it wrong. I picked up a plastic glue. I'll try the slide again and see, otherwise I'll give zip-ties a go and cross my fingers. I just know DTFB won't withstand a hard landing.

Next pics should have these installed and a motor mounted.

It would be so much fun to attempt to fly it this weekend.

FoamyDM

This looks flippin' awesome, kind of suprised at how little replies this has. It'll have retracts, VTOL, thrust vectoring, AND missiles? I'm pretty sure at least one of these things has never been done before, and this combination certainly hasn't ;)

Looking forward to the VTOL system - seems extremely challenging.

Thanks for the encouragement. I hope you try the build when I get to releasing a Beta Plan set. I would love the feedback.

Admittedly I'm intimidated about the VTOL/Hover system, as I've never messed with a Gyro or Flight controller, which I'm convinced a novice pilot like me will need to use in hover mode. just the conversion alone is sketchy... :D either way it'll be fun. Still on stage one though.

FoamyDM

Update: I Put the wheels on. Went with the zip-ties. and glued the front gear in. They looked great... then I put the plane over. Two things.
1. The 2.1mm wire is way too thin to support the plane weight. (without battery).
2. the back wheels were JUST clearing the nacells. So I'm going with plan 2.

Build a shallow wide frame with coat hanger wire. and stiffen the front gear (somehow). I loved how it came in and out of the plane. I think for this run I'm going to glue the nacell bodies' on to test if it flies.

Side Note: the Thin Water Bottle caps aren't stiff enough for the weight of this plane without reinforcement around the wheel shaft bearing. Easy enough As I need to drill a bigger hole for the coat hanger wire anyway.

FoamyDM

The 2mm music wire is what's failing. I'm trying coat hangers in hopes it'll work.

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
Sorry to say this but the coat hanger stuff won't hold up for you. I guessing the size you need you will not be able to just cut with a set of wire cutters. You will need a dremel or some type of metal saw. If this plane is that heavy you might as well go big to protect it when landing.

FoamyDM

*Nods* OK.

Right Now I have it in and attached as coat Hanger. I will plan more stout stuff, including the wheels themselves.... but as I have no alternatives, in-shop, I'm going to do my tests with current gear expecting them to fail. I'm in the finishing stages of getting the Directional Thrust Module for my 2212 1000kv Motor with 1045 prop set for pushing a rated 800g of thrust.

Also I've notice the aelerons aren't very long. I'm pretty sure they are not long enough and will be using poster board to lengthen by double and taper. I'm also adding flaps. I also started setting in servos last night, and realized it was too late with a dull knife. Fortunately nothing bled, but a servo wire does need surgery/soldering. I'll finish that up tonight too. Pictures to come.

I'm expecting big things... mainly crashing. :) I'm hoping the long weekend will yeild much more experience.

Happy Turkey-day America!

FoamyDM

I looked back and noticed the alpha plan pics didn't loadright the first time... if you want, here are jpgs of my Alpha 1.0 print set. As you can see it did not include the top skin. That was done ad-hoc and I have changed my approach. and will be focusing on this on the Beta build.
Alpha Sheet preview.PNG
3 Modes preview.PNG
I hope this works. If not they have been attached to my VF-9 Album on my profile page.

FoamyDM

Has anyone use these Multi-switches? If so please give me your thoughts. I found reference here:

I was wondering how I might accomplish The lighting, missiles, bombs and other things I wanted without taking up ALL the channels. I think this is the solution to all my dreams. I could power the lights, and set up the match missiles.
Now I will have to put together a plan for this switch.

FoamyDM

Connected up: Time to test load the motor and FLY!

The holidays have slowed some things and this AF-X1 (Starfox) build and a Fan Boat helped.

But I have glued the loose parts (Nacell and main electronics compartment) down and installed the Flap, aileron, rudder and canard servos. The landing gear is solid and I'm ready to bolt on my motor and fly it.

VF-9 BasicHookedup3.JPG
VF-9 BasicHookedup2.JPG
VF-9 BasicHookedup1.JPG

I was going to put in my directional thrust ring... but I should get it in the air first. This is a pic of my scratch built version. I'm happy with it as a first-go.

IMG_0766.JPG

I'm hoping to add a maiden within a week. (crosses fingers, *please don't crash, please don't crash*) :D

FoamyDM

@ Kaign80 - Me Too. I have been intimidated by this after within a couple weekends, I maidened a bloody baron and had it fly up, bullet down to a crash and catch fire, followed by a fail on a my mini version of the FT explorer (A known good flyer), and the Mini Arrow, hand-launch into the ground and bust. Couple this with Terrible simulator runs.

I decided I needed to improve my piloting first.
Last thing I wanted to do was to maiden this great build only to kill it because my piloting skills are no goodnick

I've spent time been doing just that, I'm less confused on the return trip and I can nearly reliably, do a couple circuits. I also have the edf parts, a 3d printer, a couple troublesome quad build nearly complete, and a successful set of flights, on the bloody Baron (though I can't land without breaking props) the mini Explorer, and a sea Duck. While not stellar, I feel that I can get it up, fly around a bit and try a landing. I'm finally feeling ready to put this together now.

So to do's are:

• *mount motors.
    *Run the wiring to camera mount locations.
    *firm up flaps and landing gear
    *Do starting hops, then a circuit and land.

Thanks for the interest.

-FoamyDM

Last edited:

FoamyDM

Nice. Oooh, Podcast. (my work limits Youtube)

I hadn't even posted this and you were on it!