• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Simple Scout Maiden Flight video

Hoomi

Edited nearly six minutes of flight into a 3 minute video, with music from Eric Matyas' Soundimage page. I can see what everyone meant when they said the Simple Scout is a sweet-flying bird. She practically leaped off the runway, and flew great without any further trimming in flight. For the first flight, I kept it rather mundane, with no loops or rolls, but I think next weekend, I'll see what she can do when I'm not flying quite so conservatively.

We just got hit by a late blizzard here in Minnesota. I got impatient and maidened mine off the snow using floats. :D (Sadly that's the best video I could get without having three hands. :-\)

Make sure you put some really durable on the bottom of your floats to fly off snow though. It's much more abrasive that I thought it would be. After ten minutes of touch and goes it rubbed all the film from the tape off, and the glass fibers underneath were half gone too!

CarolineTyler

Edited nearly six minutes of flight into a 3 minute video, with music from Eric Matyas' Soundimage page. I can see what everyone meant when they said the Simple Scout is a sweet-flying bird. She practically leaped off the runway, and flew great without any further trimming in flight. For the first flight, I kept it rather mundane, with no loops or rolls, but I think next weekend, I'll see what she can do when I'm not flying quite so conservatively.

Very nice indeed! What camera did you use to record the flight? It's picture was excellent!

Hoomi

We rarely have to worry about snow down here in Baja Arizona. Cactus, mesquite, rocks, and blistering heat, but rarely snow. We get enough snow to actually stick on the ground for more than a few minutes maybe once every five to ten years.

Which is just fine with me. I'll take the heat, any day. I've never had to shovel sunshine out of my driveway to make it to work in the morning. :D

Hoomi

Very nice indeed! What camera did you use to record the flight? It's picture was excellent!
The camera is a Matecam 808 keychain camera. You can find them on Amazon for under $30. They're lightweight, with a small frontal profile, and record to a micro SD card. The only two drawbacks I've found to them, is that they record in 2 minute segments, and the control buttons are sometimes finicky.

I have a GoPro, but I like using the Matecam, as it's less load on the plane, and if something happens to it, I'm not out the couple of hundred dollars that the GoPro costs. I put Velcro on the bottom of the Matecam, and on the airplane, and after over a year of flying this way, I've never had the camera come loose in flight.