The Coffee Shop - For general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcedStorm777

It just breeds low standards for humanity and as all things has become the "Normal" in certain places. It speaks to the devolution of humanity and its destiny with chaos. How long before we are all grunting and flinging poo at each other over our yards fences as our best case level of communication?

Follow and become lost in the shuffle or lead and succeed in anything you wish to accomplish?

I'm old and grown and understand respect of other human beings. I still say hello to anyone I pass walking down a street or in a store even in places where the word hello is someone's que to reply "hey man got a cigarette?" or to just look down at their shoes to avoid eye contact. Yes I curse a lot but its usually over failed humanity and its current faults but not in front of kids below legal drinking age as long as I know they are present.

I will probably draw a lot of flack for this but I got ZERO use or tolerance for ghetto culture as it promotes all the wrong values and perpetuates too much wrong in the world like drugs and poor treatment of woman, not to mention crime... In what reality for a normal thinking human is murder good? Yet how many posers follow that culture today thinking "Its cool" let alone the ones who actually live and believe in it. Oh and that whole excuse "I have no choice but to be this way"... that turd wont flush. There is ALWAYS choice. There is ALWAYS self respect. If you ignore both of those things you have failed life.

I have to agree with what PsyBorg said. As a 16 year old on a high school wrestling team I hear my fair share of swearing. Our coach wants none of it in the program and pretty much all of the wrestlers rarely swear but a lot of the football players who come wrestle swear left and right as their coach doesn't care. I find it very difficult to say in it's natural form is a huge problem. What i mean by this is lets say you just get suddenly taken down from behind and it scares the heck out of you. In that case I don't see a huge problem with swearing so long as it isn't a huge habit. I do think that unnecessary swearing or just swearing to "sound cool." Is really stupid. That whole last paragraph you posted about the ghetto cultures and all that is pure GOLD. I absolutely couldn't agree with you any more.

IcedStorm777

I just think if you "don't know how to act" it puts you at a great disadvantage. You'll avoid or feel uncomfortable or out of place in so many situations. Like knowing how a gentleman conducts himself. If my girlfriend and I are just running around like kids having fun, whoever gets to the door first opens it. But if she's dressed up a bit and we're doing something nice, I beat her to the door and take care of that. It's all very subtle. I had a girlfriend from the Ukraine - After a little while I noticed how when approaching a door she would slow her pace almost imperceptibly, to make sure I could beat her to it. Believe it or not she didn't know she did this.

But yeah, if speaking well is your default, you'll live your life with more natural confidence and with more opportunities and options.

I really like what you said here, you have to judge the situation. I will say though that chivalry is DEFINETELY a lost art. People saying that holding doors for girls or asking if they would like help (girl or guys in fact but just being a good human and helping someone if they need it) is often demonized. I live in Colorado which leans very far one way on the political spectrum and it's not uncommon for me to hold the door for a girl and for them to say "I don't need your help, I am a strong independent woman." Or something along those lines. And it is really frustrating because I am trying to be kind and do the right thing and this person genuinely thinks I am a sexest or something like that.

...and that whole excuse "I have no choice but to be this way"... that turd wont flush. There is ALWAYS choice. There is ALWAYS self respect. If you ignore both of those things you have failed life.
True story: In a study, two brothers were interviewed. They had grown up under a father who was an abusive drunkard, couldn't hold a job, in fights all the time and in & out of prison. The man was no good to the people around him or society in general. One of the sons had grown up to be just like his father. The other rose in the ranks to become a regional manager of a retail chain, took good care of his family and contributed to the community. In this study, both men were asked separately "Why do you think your life has turned out the way it has?" Both brothers gave the same answer: How could I have turned out any other way with a father like that?

IcedStorm777

True story: In a study, two brothers were interviewed. They had grown up under a father who was an abusive drunkard, couldn't hold a job, in fights all the time and in & out of prison. The man was no good to the people around him or society in general. One of the sons had grown up to be just like his father. The other rose in the ranks to become a regional manager of a retail chain, took good care of his family and contributed to the community. In this study, both men were asked separately "Why do you think your life has turned out the way it has?" Both brothers gave the same answer: How could I have turned out any other way with a father like that?

Yup, as much as conditions outside also affect your life their is much more personal responsibility than most people think on you to change it. On top of that the second you use the "I was made that way excuse" all hope of changing is out the window. That is the ultimate emotional argument. Someone presents facts and logic on why your position is wrong... either morally or legally and you respond with "I was made that way." All the other person can say is no you weren't. I mean by that token I could say I was made to rule the world and I can do anything to justify that, say killing my political enemies or stealing from them. Very dumb excuse.

I really like what you said here, you have to judge the situation. I will say though that chivalry is DEFINETELY a lost art. People saying that holding doors for girls or asking if they would like help (girl or guys in fact but just being a good human and helping someone if they need it) is often demonized. I live in Colorado which leans very far one way on the political spectrum and it's not uncommon for me to hold the door for a girl and for them to say "I don't need your help, I am a strong independent woman." Or something along those lines. And it is really frustrating because I am trying to be kind and do the right thing and this person genuinely thinks I am a sexest or something like that.
Wow yeah. Well I'm getting older and I find that some people have gotten themselves confused over some things these days. Bummer, right? But I've come to know a couple things. I can have complete confidence that I've done no wrong, that I'm conducting myself in exactly the way I want to (in this situation). For a special partner, I know what kind of woman I'm after - or some traits at least. This girl is confused, and she's not my kind of girl. So as the drama unfolds it brings an immediate sly grin to my face. "Poor confused girl. She's got it wrong. I hope she can figure herself out some day."

Like the early James Bond movies. Sean Connery. He was a gentleman. He "knew how to act". And he was in complete control.

IcedStorm777

Wow yeah. Well I'm getting older and I find that some people have gotten themselves confused over some things these days. Bummer, right? But I've come to know a couple things. I can have complete confidence that I've done no wrong, that I'm conducting myself in exactly the way I want to (in this situation). For a special partner, I know what kind of woman I'm after - or some traits at least. This girl is confused, and she's not my kind of girl. So as the drama unfolds it brings an immediate sly grin to my face. "Poor confused girl. She's got it wrong. I hope she can figure herself out some day."

Like the early James Bond movies. Sean Connery. He was a gentleman. He "knew how to act". And he was in complete control.

Oh just for the record I was just saying random people like at the grocery store or something like that, not any of my friends. If any of my friends thought that way we probably wouldn't remain friends not because i hate them but because we would disagree on most things. James bond-I need to watch another one of those, its been a while...

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
I have to agree with what PsyBorg said. As a 16 year old on a high school wrestling team I hear my fair share of swearing. Our coach wants none of it in the program and pretty much all of the wrestlers rarely swear but a lot of the football players who come wrestle swear left and right as their coach doesn't care. I find it very difficult to say in it's natural form is a huge problem. What i mean by this is lets say you just get suddenly taken down from behind and it scares the heck out of you. In that case I don't see a huge problem with swearing so long as it isn't a huge habit. I do think that unnecessary swearing or just swearing to "sound cool." Is really stupid. That whole last paragraph you posted about the ghetto cultures and all that is pure GOLD. I absolutely couldn't agree with you any more.
ik what you mean... also kids of my age are rude to elderly folk... i really try to be polite.. and for some reason kids(or teens i should say) quite often seem to think that it is demeaning to be polite... someone tell me how they got that idea.

although here ladies/girls are quite pleased when you open the door for them, or help them.. i guess it is because basically no one else helps them, so when someone does help them they are glad to find "an earth worm in a field of clay" to use the farmers term;)

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
It all boils down to "do you respect yourself enough to hold a higher standard in everything you do" or do you "Monkey see monkey do copy others to fit in" The people that copy and act a fool have no effect on your life unless you let them. They are not in any position to advance you or elevate you in life. By associating with and joining in with people like this you intentionally make the choice to be held back in life because you live at their level and do not strive for better. Nor will people from outside that circle accept you to be capable of being better.

Yes financial status has a lot to do with how you live.. but if you continue to live where there is no way to elevate yourself then you limit how much or how well you will live the rest of your life. If you can not feel safe in a school to learn or to not be harassed for being smart then move on to another school. Will it be inconvenient probably but you will gain an advantage later in life when you can go to a job interview after properly spelling all the answers on an application, properly submitting a resume before hand having your resume and application actually read because you showed the effort to spell correctly. From getting into a better school and making better friends you elevate your level of acceptance that has value. This will enable you to be more easily accepted to live in a certain place regardless of financial status where you can safely get that education to propel yourself forward. Good actions stack.. bad actions adds to the weight holding you down.. Simple choices only you can make.

When you walk into an interview respectfully dressed with your pants pulled up and your shirt tucked in you make an initial impression to make the person you will speak to WANT to know who you are. Go into a job interview with a sag speaking rap video slang and you wont last 5 seconds...

So why waste any effort at all doing something that in its best form can only hold you back in YOUR life..

I know this all sounds preachy from a Boomer but its fact and I don't think younger people are even told this type stuff to get that boost any more. Not by friends, not by parents, not by teachers.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
It all boils down to "do you respect yourself enough to hold a higher standard in everything you do" or do you "Monkey see monkey do copy others to fit in" The people that copy and act a fool have no effect on your life unless you let them. They are not in any position to advance you or elevate you in life. By associating with and joining in with people like this you intentionally make the choice to be held back in life because you live at their level and do not strive for better. Nor will people from outside that circle accept you to be capable of being better.

Yes financial status has a lot to do with how you live.. but if you continue to live where there is no way to elevate yourself then you limit how much or how well you will live the rest of your life. If you can not feel safe in a school to learn or to not be harassed for being smart then move on to another school. Will it be inconvenient probably but you will gain an advantage later in life when you can go to a job interview after properly spelling all the answers on an application, properly submitting a resume before hand having your resume and application actually read because you showed the effort to spell correctly. From getting into a better school and making better friends you elevate your level of acceptance that has value. This will enable you to be more easily accepted to live in a certain place regardless of financial status where you can safely get that education to propel yourself forward. Good actions stack.. bad actions adds to the weight holding you down.. Simple choices only you can make.

When you walk into an interview respectfully dressed with your pants pulled up and your shirt tucked in you make an initial impression to make the person you will speak to WANT to know who you are. Go into a job interview with a sag speaking rap video slang and you wont last 5 seconds...

So why waste any effort at all doing something that in its best form can only hold you back in YOUR life..

I know this all sounds preachy from a Boomer but its fact and I don't think younger people are even told this type stuff to get that boost any more. Not by friends, not by parents, not by teachers.
i can't agree with you more.

something i think every one should know... financial position should never affect your goals and dreams.

IcedStorm777

ik what you mean... also kids of my age are rude to elderly folk... i really try to be polite.. and for some reason kids(or teens i should say) quite often seem to think that it is demeaning to be polite... someone tell me how they got that idea.

although here ladies/girls are quite pleased when you open the door for them, or help them.. i guess it is because basically no one else helps them, so when someone does help them they are glad to find "an earth worm in a field of clay" to use the farmers term;)

I know, and I honestly find elderly people more interesting to hang out with then most people because they have life experience. If I go somewhere where their are multiple families hanging out, 9 times out of 10 you will find me hanging out and talking with the adults, not the kids. After all, you talk to a kid about wrestling and they say something like "That sport seems super weird and you have to wear spandex eww." You talk to a 60 or 70 year old and they will probably have some crazy story about how they got into a back ally fight with a kangaroo or some off the wall experience. Plus they have told the story so much that they now how to tell a good story. Much more interesting in my opinion. As I said earlier though I do think a lot of it is situational. For example if I am hanging out with my friends I would use more slang (I'm not talking swearing or anything like that) than around my parents. Lets say one of my friends asks me if i can 3d print something for him, i might say like yeah for sure, or bet, or something like that where as if my dad asked i would say yes sir.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
okay i can't believe this is true but itis..

i am getting a chainsaw (in parts) Free!!!
and a ryobi bushcutter (the clutch is slipping but otherwise it is practically brand new...free!!!

yayaayay now i can make a 1/4 cub... and a neiuport 17 ..... awesome..........

and all for free

Status
Not open for further replies.