The Coffee Shop - For general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
The conflict over holding doors open for people is baffling to me. I have never had a woman be offended I held a door open for her and have only ever been told of one instance of it happening, in which that woman was promptly put in her place. In the UK, women generally don't mind men holding doors open for them, because men hold doors open for men. Women hold doors open for women. Women hold doors open for men - WHOEVER is trailing behind you, the polite thing to do is not let the door swing back in their face haha!

The only time a door being held open is awkward is when the person trailing behind is a little bit far away and so they have to break into an awkward jog-walk as to not keep the door-holder standing there. lol
I hold doors open for men too but Im not gay, just polite. If I pass through a door and someone is about to follow I hold it open for them, if they are any distance away I dont bother. when I reach adoor I open it and always allow the person behind to exit first its good manners.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I try to be polite and hold the door for folks following behind, regardless of their gender. But there is an awkward moment that puts me off being polite: when you hold the door and the "follower" waltzes through the door without taking the hand-off. You're left standing there, reduced to being the door-man or door-woman, and have also lost whatever precedence you had by getting to the door first.

Then there's the moment when you arrive at a door at the same time as the person on the other side. If you're on the "pull" side, you'll again be relegated to the "door-man" role.

I try to avoid doorways at all costs because of these socially awkward situations. ;-)
Try taking the fire exits in future lol PMSL:LOL:

IcedStorm777

You bet. And girls are more fun to be respectful to than guys, because... well, because girls. :D

Lol but also much more nerve racking in my experience. Granted as a homeschooled sophmore who prides himself on having a golden personality (Some people are attractive but hey, I guess i will take what i can get XD) I strive to always respect girls. Specifically one in particular... who may or may not be a senior... and i definitely just respect here because that is the right thing to do, not to impress her of course...

Lol but also much more nerve racking in my experience. Granted as a homeschooled sophmore who prides himself on having a golden personality (Some people are attractive but hey, I guess i will take what i can get XD) I strive to always respect girls. Specifically one in particular... who may or may not be a senior... and i definitely just respect here because that is the right thing to do, not to impress her of course...
Wow I'm starting to respect her too! But without a photo or vid she doesn't exist. :ROFLMAO:

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
My favorite saying is Women are like continents:
18 to 22 - They are like Africa: half wild, half-discovered, fertile and a natural beauty.
23 to 30 - They are like Europe: well developed and open to trade especially to someone with cash.
31 to 35 - They are like Spain: very hot, relaxed and convinced of there own beauty.
36 to 40 - They are like Greece: gently aging but still warm and a desirable place to visit.
41 to 50 - They are like Great Britain: with a glorious and all conquering past
51 to 60 - They are like Isreal: Been through the war and doesnt make the same mistake twice and takes care of business.
61 to 69 - They are like Canada: Self preserving, but open to meeting new people.
At 70 - They are like Antarctica: everyone knows where it is but nobody wants to go there.

Lol thanks I guess. Well, I just wish i was smooth around girls i like. I'm an amazing wingman and a great "friend" to have and all the girls I'm friends with I'm like their best "boy friend" but I'm just SO bad around the girl i like. It's not even funny ;(
I'm still the same way. :p Never grew out of that one.

18 to 22 - They are like Africa: half wild, half-discovered, fertile and a natural beauty.
23 to 30 - They are like Europe: well developed and open to trade especially to someone with cash.
31 to 35 - They are like Spain: very hot, relaxed and convinced of there own beauty.
36 to 40 - They are like Greece: gently aging but still warm and a desirable place to visit.
51 to 60 - They are like Isreal: Been through the war and doesnt make the same mistake twice and takes care of business.
61 to 69 - They are like Canada: Self preserving, but open to meeting new people.
At 70 - They are like Antarctica: everyone knows where it is but nobody wants to go there.
This one's good to keep in mind. I was around 40 and talking to a Dr. much wiser than I. Talking about meeting women, I said "yeah but I'm 40."
He turned me around real quick. He said I'm at my prime right now. He said as women are crossing their mid-to late-30s they're starting to come apart. The smooth bits aren't as smooth, the firm bits are becoming more squishy than firm... And they're panicking. At 40 I'm just maturing into a full-grown highly marketable man.

mastermalpass

Elite member
So why waste any effort at all doing something that in its best form can only hold you back in YOUR life..

I know this all sounds preachy from a Boomer but its fact and I don't think younger people are even told this type stuff to get that boost any more. Not by friends, not by parents, not by teachers.

Though it is definitely important to read a situation and make oneself appropriate for it, be that through dressing smart, shaving your face, tying back long hair and of course, adjusting language and (to a lesser demand these days) elocution, in order to show respect to an environment that isn't yours, I do feel like in everyday situations too much judgement was cast upon people because of their aesthetics.

As a result, people have lost faith in people being 'classy' or 'propper'. Countless incidents of well-spoken men in suits just being... Bad people, to sum it up... And the internet granting a voice to those with tattoos and thick accents who turn out to have big hearts and demonstrate great intelligence, has pulled out the foundations of what classical classy behaviour used to represent.

So, in many situations, people like myself are more than happy to hear people out no matter how scruffy they may be. Because when the stereotypes are proven innacurate more times than not, you prefer to find things out for yourself.

Unfortunately, many have over-corrected (and by that I mean given up correcting behaviour outright) and many children are being raised with little-to-no boundaries. Sadly, these children suffer as a result and many will grow up to feel their parents didn't really raise them very much. My girlfriend's Mum is a head teacher and all to often parents are expecting her to fix their kid's bad behaviour. It's all got a bit lost.

mastermalpass

Elite member
Lol thanks I guess. Well, I just wish i was smooth around girls i like. I'm an amazing wingman and a great "friend" to have and all the girls I'm friends with I'm like their best "boy friend" but I'm just SO bad around the girl i like. It's not even funny ;(

Do you mean bad as in you get anxious and awkward and say things that right after you say goodbye to her you're thinking to yourself "I said so'n so... WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!" Or do you mean bad as in you don't seem to just win her attraction on command like some men seem to be able to? lol

Either way, I think you need to take a deep breath and in a moment when it just you and her ('cause no one likes an audience for this) ask her on a date. Just do it. Don't wait for 'the right moment' - there's no such thing. I know its scary, but you just have to. She will likely respect you for having the guts to ask in the first place. A lot of men don't bother actually asking these days - my girlfriend has had two previous partners and a couple other potentials; I was the only one to actually bother asking (she was 26 and I was 27... That's how bad it is). When you give her the chance to think about it and say 'no' you're already better than a lot of men out there.

And if she does say 'no'? You can relax now. No more worrying about 'blowing your chances' now you know there weren't any to begin with and all these feelings you have pent up (that would otherwise only get worse) can now vent off and you can move on. Maybe she'll make a good friend - I ask women out before I really get the feels for them, makes it easier to be friends with them instead haha! Now that you're not stuck crushing on her anymore, maybe you'll start to notice someone else - someone better suited to you!

If she says yes? ... Well, you're gonna be nervous a bit longer, I'm afraid you have a date to navigate now haha!

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Just found this on Facebook market place, for sale in the UK: Its got a 30cc petrol engine fitted, just add batteries and receiver £300 ($409).
1610566395826.png

mastermalpass

Elite member

I don't want to be a bore, or a some kind of corrections officer, or imply you had any bad intention here, but I just wanna say: this male-dominated boy's club is going to stay a male-dominated boy's club if women come here and see us being this generalising about them. I know its fun and maybe women of your generation are fine with this, but certainly women and girls that I speak to may worry that if they make themselves known here, we might not see them as our equals. Don't wanna come across like I'm telling you off - I know you're just having fun, but I'm just warning that we might not want to share these kind of statements if we want women to feel totally relaxed here.

I know this might feel like its come out of nowhere - before my girlfriend made it clear just how often groups of men can be unintentionally exclusionary to women, I was completely unaware as well. Just, now that I know, I feel I should warn people that they might not be coming off as soft and friendly as they would like to be. Just an advisory - no scorn here. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.