The Coffee Shop - For general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
A long time ago there was a young noob, his name was @Timmy. He was very green, very wet behind the ears. He was humble and polite and inquisitive, and he asked incredibly noob questions, like "How do you design a plane?" But then he came back a month later with a very respectable, unique, self-designed plane. He didn't cry for attention and didn't try to shout the loudest. He didn't have time to waste on children, though he was quite young himself. He didn't demand everybody shoot videos to show him how to do things. He didn't beg the community to design his plane for him. When given sound advice he listened, and implemented the sensible parts the best he could. He didn't go around declaring how special or how intelligent he is. He was here, he asked questions, he built planes, did his thing, showed us how well his planes fly, then moved on. And now our dear @Timmy is no more.

#NeverForgetTimmy

Taildragger

Legendary member
All y'all playing with CAD... 🙄

Im not unfamiliar, i did get quite a ways into an engineering degree at one point in my crazy life. Thing is, i also learned basic drafting early on so when it comes to building one off foam board planes, pencil and paper seems so much faster to me. I can totally understand going with software after you've got the design down so you can have a way to share the build with others, but for the build, crash, fly, repeat method it seems like you could spend a lot more time cutting and gluing if not for that computer screen...

Thats just my grumpy ol $0.02
Oh believe me, the drafting definitely is faste, I just have no clue how to do it. I'm only 14 lol
I did try to take a drafting class but it was more the architectural drafting, not the kind I would use for airplanes

Bricks

Master member
Something about this forum is interesting, how people use the like button, on another forum I’m on I have a little over a thousand posts and have 3500 likes, this one I have 638 posts and 463 likes, I personally use the like button on a post as more of I read it, only don’t “like” it if I don’t agree with the post, others on here seem to use the like button as some sacred button only to be used on the greatest posts, even a halarious joke may get but a like or two, where as on the other forum it would get ten or so in a heartbeat.

Just something I noticed,

Cheers, flightspeed

(I’m not complaining or anything! Just something I noticed)

Maybe on here a LIKE actually means something, I only use likes when someone gives out good information and is accurate....As far as I know.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Oh believe me, the drafting definitely is faste, I just have no clue how to do it. I'm only 14 lol
I did try to take a drafting class but it was more the architectural drafting, not the kind I would use for airplanes
Its not that i apply a ton of any "real" drafting, still have a few rulers and such, but no big drafting table or anything. (Though that would be fun 🤔) its just the the experience transferring 3d objects to paper by hand, and vice versa that i think helps the most. Anyone that can use CAD can do that! I was just saying that, for prototyping foamboard planes, it just seems like an extra step is all...

Taildragger

Legendary member
A long time ago there was a young noob, his name was @Timmy. He was very green, very wet behind the ears. He was humble and polite and inquisitive, and he asked incredibly noob questions, like "How do you design a plane?" But then he came back a month later with a very respectable, unique, self-designed plane. He didn't cry for attention and didn't try to shout the loudest. He didn't have time to waste on children, though he was quite young himself. He didn't demand everybody shoot videos to show him how to do things. He didn't beg the community to design his plane for him. When given sound advice he listened, and implemented the sensible parts the best he could. He didn't go around declaring how special or how intelligent he is. He was here, he asked questions, he built planes, did his thing, showed us how well his planes fly, then moved on. And now our dear @Timmy is no more.

#NeverForgetTimmy
Hey @SquirrelTail I saw that like. You can't be "off the forums" and still interact! :LOL:

Taildragger

Legendary member
this was where i was ten minuts ago
1638906097370.png

Its not that i apply a ton of any "real" drafting, still have a few rulers and such, but no big drafting table or anything. (Though that would be fun 🤔) its just the the experience transferring 3d objects to paper by hand, and vice versa that i think helps the most. Anyone that can use CAD can do that! I was just saying that, for prototyping foamboard planes, it just seems like an extra step is all...
I'm with you @Hondo76251. My class at university was the last one to present all our work on true blueprints, drafted on vellum. Everyone after us was focused entirely on AutoCad and never sharpened a pencil lead in their life. Now after many years out in the world I can tell you with complete certainty that the young people sorely lack the integral drafting experience that my class had. We used to have to sharpen a pencil before drafting a line or a note on the page, so if you're looking at it, there should be a reason it's there, not just that I clicked this or didn't click that or "oh it's about layers" or some poor excuse for not knowing proper drafting techniques.

AutoCad is the premier tool for what it does, it's the great Mother program of computer drafting. It's only as smart as its user.

Status
Not open for further replies.