*Unofficial* FT Legacy (Founders Plane)

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Anyone have any idea when the Legacy will be in the store? I am wanting to ask the wife to get me one for Christmas. Will it be available before then?

My best guess is, and this is by no means an official Flite Test response, right after Flite Fest Texas. So, you should be able to get them in time for Christmas. Maybe even by Thanksgiving. Although, I wouldn't suggest stuffing the turkey with it. :p

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Finally getting back to my build. Twin C Pack.

1537931476300.png

(Intruder for scale :cool: )

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
At FF Ohio, they were passing the transmitter around for the Founder's Plane. What happened to it? Did it survive? Did an over confident pilot get ahold of it? What?

d8veh

Elite member
Planes with big flat-bottomed wings like that normally need washout to stop the tips from stalling. You need to find a way to build in some twist when you make the wings. Without plans, i can't say the easiest way to achieve that.

tamuct01

Almost all the FT planes attempt to address washout by having the tip sections of the wing with only a single piece of foamboard forming an undercambered airfoil. I've not seen any thorough testing to prove whether this technique actually performs this function well, but anecdotally it works.

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
I didn't see any issues with the Legacy needing washout. Also, washout is a really bad idea if you have any plans to fly aerobatics because it works in reverse when flying inverted. Inverted tip stalls are super nasty.

donalson

I know this is a newer plane but I got one at FFTX... i'm debating on how to build it... single? twin? 3ch? 4ch? flat? dihedral?...

I'm thinking of giving a 3ch dihedral model a try with adams foam board... it looks like it could be the perfect LED night flyer...

also I love the flap design...

also I'm wondering about building it up with some floats... I imagine sizing up the cub floats a bit could work out well... lots to consider and build in the next year :)

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
I went tri, with flat foldable wing, ailerons/no-flaps and MILD differential . . . but I chose to shape it into something else. Overview thread and tweaked parts coming.

WHEN ARE THE PLANS COMING OUT???!!!

I expect this isn't much of a satisfying answer, but . . .

Soon.

You might notice it's in pre-order in the store, and I expect the plans will come out shortly after those ship. Maybe not down to "days" yet, but "weeks" is certainly in the low digits.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Planes with big flat-bottomed wings like that normally need washout to stop the tips from stalling. You need to find a way to build in some twist when you make the wings. Without plans, i can't say the easiest way to achieve that.
Look for a Balsa Design for a slope soarer called the "Super Turkey" I built a couple back in the early 80s. It was a slab wing polyhedral jedelsky wing design and they achieved washout using a simple technique. The cut the wing tip TE so that the tip less cord than the wing and that the tip was the shortest cord with the cord increasing as you progressed towards the fuselage. The cut was a simple straight cut.

I tried hard to get it to stall and it always first leveled out and then just dropped its nose. Using this simple method the washout was almost extreme and grossly effective.

Cutting or sweeping the LE does the exact opposite!. i built a wing for the TT using the cut TE idea and it NEVER tip stalls! It does nik rapidly and even drop the plane nose violently at stall but it never rolls at stall! See - https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/building-hai-lees-tiny-trainer-slow-wing.33350/

Have fun!

donalson

so it has been releases... we should be seeing plans very soon :)... and hopefully the extra pack kit (landing gear and stuff) should be avl soon at FT...

I already got the kit itself but I want to build a 3 channel trainer to let my kidos fly and maybe turn into a LED plane...

PoorManRC

Master member
it is releases... and i can't wait to get mine...:) im starting with 3 channel... because i am basically a noob... flying anyway...