*Unofficial* FT Super Bee

Ische

RC Barnstormer
WP_20160903_21_16_54_Pro.jpg

2 Scratch built Super Bees up and running

Fidget

Plywood

Ische, did you cut the plywood piece? How did you do it? I got to that point last night and decided I was too tired to start into that. Planning to cut the outer shape out of 1/8" plywood and then basically punch the holes out with a drillpress. Hoping the 1/32" difference in thickness won't really be an issue.

I am in the process of building one of these but I have a motor question. I bought a pair of the 2300kv red bottom emax motors to run on 4s and looking for an esc for them. I have a pair of dynam 30amp airplane escs that I was planning to use but would they be ok with a motor running that high of an rpm?

Jimmyp

I finished mine last night and went out today for a maiden. 3s is very fast with the 2750 kv motors. Won't have time for a 4s test until next week.

Parts:
DYS 2205 2750 kv motors
Aerostar 30amp ESCs
5x4.5 bulnose props
1300mah 3s 40c
Hextronic 9g servos

Jimmyp

Ische, did you cut the plywood piece? How did you do it? I got to that point last night and decided I was too tired to start into that. Planning to cut the outer shape out of 1/8" plywood and then basically punch the holes out with a drillpress. Hoping the 1/32" difference in thickness won't really be an issue.

I had some 1/16 ply and I drilled the holes at the ends of the slots and the corners of the square holes. I then used a sharp utility knife and cut between the edges of the holes from both sides until I was through.

Fidget

I had some 1/16 ply and I drilled the holes at the ends of the slots and the corners of the square holes. I then used a sharp utility knife and cut between the edges of the holes from both sides until I was through.

Genius. Thanks!

ztoon

Gone with the Mistral
Almost ready to fly (power pods needs to be fitted).
- 6mm Depron and tape all around
- 3x 5gr servos
- HK 6 ch Rx
- 2x 1804 motor + 5030 prop + generic (cheap) 10amp esc (already used in my mini guinea, mini bloody baron, baby sr71, twin arrow)
w = 250gr (8.8 oz) without battery (plan to use a 1000mAh/3S)

Attachments

• IMG_20160908_184400.jpg
    IMG_20160908_184400.jpg
    603.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20160908_184452.jpg
    IMG_20160908_184452.jpg
    596 KB · Views: 7

ztoon

Gone with the Mistral
I maiden my FT superbee this morning. A very nice little plane. Of course mine is not as fast as the original one (2x 1804 instead of 2205 motors) but still fun to fly. A bit too sharp for a beginner I think, but with that smaller motors could be used as a 2nd intermediate plane. Loops and rolls are no pb, the perfect compact fun flyer as advertised by FT.

My Mobius cam run out of battery because before I flew my superbee there was an old timer member of my club with a big B17 (about 3 meters - 11kg made in the 90's) and I want to record some footage of it. A real beauty, with all the goodies (retracts, bomb bay, original livery). He bombed the runway (litteraly, with some home made small powder bombs + streamers), a fun moment :p

Fidget

Use a receiver with a case. I used a LemonRx (which I really like) one without a case and after a couple nose dives into dirt, the PCB broke in two.

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
Does anyone that has made this plane FPV have some pictures of where you placed your electronics? Obviously the camera goes up front, but where did you squeeze in the VTX?

Merrixs

Has anyone flown the Super Bee and the Mini Cruiser? Yes Yes I know, I should just build both and probably will, but does anyone have a preference between the two for FPV flying?

V'Ger

Californian Refugee
Has anyone attempted to mount a rudder servo on this plane? I am not interested using thrust differential to steer because I don't want to have to buy a computerized transmitter. Would I install it the way it is on the bloody baron and would it even be controllable?

Thank you for your time.

Chapinb

It's can certinally be made with a rudder.
I doubt it would be benificial though. My BB does not react well to rudder. With small amounts of diff thrust, the super bee makes the same excessive yaw motion. I expect a rudder to do very similar.
The BB and superbee like to be flown bank and yank. Skip the rudder and just run 3 channel.

mikeporterinmd

Still Learning
It's can certinally be made with a rudder.
I doubt it would be benificial though. My BB does not react well to rudder. With small amounts of diff thrust, the super bee makes the same excessive yaw motion. I expect a rudder to do very similar.
The BB and superbee like to be flown bank and yank. Skip the rudder and just run 3 channel.

Bloody Barons are built without landing gear, typically, right? I'm actually cutting out the plans for one tonight. So, skip the rudder?

Thanks,

Mike

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Bloody Barons are built without landing gear, typically, right? I'm actually cutting out the plans for one tonight. So, skip the rudder?

Thanks,

Mike

Yes. The Bloody Baron is a belly lander, so typically no landing gear. That said, I have seen some people add gear to theirs. And yes, you can skip the rudder. I usually do as well.