Versa Wing converted to Funfighter

Kristoffer

Mr.FixIt
As a result of my first Versa Wing diving straight into the ground during maiden flight, the whole center of the wing exploded.
Leaving only the wingtips and most of the Elevons intact.
So I tried to salvage as much as possible of both wings, with an idea to make a mini wing later.

IMG_2403.JPG IMG_2404.JPG IMG_2405.JPG IMG_2502.JPG IMG_2504.JPG

The reason it "exploded" is because of the foam sheets not having the paperfilm found on the standard Dollar Tree boards.
Anyway, I buildt a new Versa Wing, and started wondering what I could do with the leftover wings.
And after a mistake in ordering some motors from HK, I got some 28-size motors and among those a Funfighter 1950Kv.
So I started Looking at some Funjet/Funfighters for inspiration.

Used som leftover pieces of foamboard, and started fabricating a centersection consisting of a "foldover" wingshape and two sides.
IMG_2662.JPG

A little sanding to smooth out the straight edges.
IMG_2663.JPG IMG_2664.JPG IMG_2665.JPG

A little hitch when I got the motormount, in the typical Hobbyking fashion.
One mount, four screws, one motor. Not quite..
Two of the motormount holes are offset, and two different dimensions on the holes in the motor, but Yes the screws only fit two of the holes.
IMG_2668.JPG
Had another mount lying around so I just had to use that instead.

So here is the rough result before finishing, and paint/decals.
IMG_2671.JPG IMG_2672.JPG IMG_2673.JPG IMG_2674.JPG
Cant wait to try it. But of course today the first autum wind really hit, even knocking over some small trees in the neighbourhood. So I'll get back with some video

Kristoffer

Mr.FixIt
Had some leftover spraycans from another build and gave it a quick coating, just for orientation.
It's a prototype, and since I have no idea how it will fly, I didn't bother too much on the finish.
And also because of the lacking paper on the foamboard, I cover the whole thing in packaging tape.

IMG_2676.JPG IMG_2677.JPG

SOOFLY

Looks sweet. Try rotating that motor mount to see if it fits the other way? All of my mounts like this only fit if there in the proper orientation, because those holes are not in the shape of a perfect square.

jayz 84

Posted a thousand or more times
A 5.25x6.25 APC prop on 4s will turn that thing into a beast ive got it on my 67% spitfire 100mph+

SanderHG

Looks good! That motormount is pretty normal, a lot of motors have that bolt pattern (2 bolts with 19mm spacing and 2 with 16mm iirc). It's a pusher as well, should be fine with just 2 screws if you have no other options.

Kristoffer

Mr.FixIt
Looks sweet. Try rotating that motor mount to see if it fits the other way? All of my mounts like this only fit if there in the proper orientation, because those holes are not in the shape of a perfect square.

Thanks, I've had a few HK motors now, and I'm used to some modifications or mismatches.:rolleyes:
The motor really did have two different sizes of holes, but the screws were all 3mm.
And the motor mount must have been for something else.
I had a standard 28 size crossmount that alligned pefectly with the holes.

Kristoffer

Mr.FixIt
Maiden..!!

Ohh man!!

I have created the sweetest flying machine!!! :applause:
The wind finally died down right before sunset, and I got to maiden it.
Allright I may be a bit enthusiastic right now, but I have never flown something like this.
I have different planes with different caracteristics, but this was new to me.

I've got about 6-7 flights on the Versa Wing, which in it self is a dream to fly. And so I would have to describe it as a mix between that, and a slopesoarer type plane. When I cut the throttle, it just GLIDES forever..!
But also quite agile with the 1950kv motor.

Flying weight with a 1300mah 3s, is 446grams / 15,7 oz. And that gave me almost 15 minutes in the air (including some gliding)
I have lots of room for a 2200mah, but I am a little concerned about the weight.
With the 6x4 APC style prop it had lots of torque, and climbs vertical with ease!
If I go with the 2200 mah, maybe I need more push?

No light for filming yesterday, but I will try today :)

Thanks for commenting

jayz 84

I will try with a 4s, but I only have 2200's and I am a bit concerned about the weight.
For now I used a 6x4 "APC style" prop.

You wanna keep it as light as possible that 2200 will be to much i wouldent go much more then 600gram auw. ? Is the versa scaled down or full size

Kristoffer

Mr.FixIt
You wanna keep it as light as possible that 2200 will be to much i wouldent go much more then 600gram auw. ? Is the versa scaled down or full size

Well, I used the remaining part of the wings after it crashed, so they are each about 15,5"/ 32cm
Total wingspan with centersection: 29" / 74cm

It actually behaves like it could use some more weight to brake through the air, but then again I've only had two flights with it. And I use minimal throws on it for now.
Ailreons 30% and Elevator 45%.

I think maybe a 4s -1300mah would do the trick..

Kristoffer

Mr.FixIt
Video..!!

Captured the second flight on a HD Wingcamera from HK.
It is hotglued shut around the circuitboard, so no audio.. Hence the music.

jayz 84

Well, I used the remaining part of the wings after it crashed, so they are each about 15,5"/ 32cm
Total wingspan with centersection: 29" / 74cm

It actually behaves like it could use some more weight to brake through the air, but then again I've only had two flights with it. And I use minimal throws on it for now.
Ailreons 30% and Elevator 45%.

I think maybe a 4s -1300mah would do the trick..

30In wing its not gonna handle that 2200 very well ya you prob would get it flying but. It would come in pretty fast on landing just to keep it from stalling go for the 1300 to 1500mah