VR-1.1 Lutra - My First Design (second now) - Build Log

Timmy

Legendary member
First dilemma:
The thing is so big because I want to make it swappable and because of the huge 10" prop not touching the tail boom. I'm afraid I'm gonna have to make simple soarer type wings for it and its gonna end up too floaty for my liking. Also do you peeps think it needs thrust angle like the explorer?

Last edited:

Innaviation

First dilemma:
The thing is so big because I want to make it swappable and because of the huge 10" prop not touching the tail boom. I'm afraid I'm gonna have to make simple soarer type wings for it and its gonna end up too floaty for my liking. Also do you peeps think it needs thrust angle like the explorer?
I think you should probably use the explorer power pack which should give you the necessary thrust angle. You also might consider using a 8-9'' inch prop instead of a 10''

Timmy

Legendary member
I think you should probably use the explorer power pack which should give you the necessary thrust angle. You also might consider using a 8-9'' inch prop instead of a 10''
yeah I know but I don't have a 9" and using a 10" with force me to be creative about it. Also I want it to be swappable so the explorer pack won't do.

Innaviation

yeah I know but I don't have a 9" and using a 10" with force me to be creative about it. Also I want it to be swappable so the explorer pack won't do.
Oh, you want it to be swappable with a original pack. Last time I tried to do that I ran into similar issues...

I think the only real way to solve it without other worse issues would be to shorten the distance between the prop and the tail. It will make it a little pitch sensitive but probably not to bad.

Timmy

Legendary member
Oh, you want it to be swappable with a original pack. Last time I tried to do that I ran into similar issues...

I think the only real way to solve it without other worse issues would be to shorten the distance between the prop and the tail. It will make it a little pitch sensitive but probably not to bad.
That could work but you also gave me another idea!

FlyingWithRyan

Elite member
I think theres a guy on here with a plane called the Spectre that has a real cool twin boom style plane. Similar to the skyhunter / nano skyhunter design

Timmy

Legendary member
Ok, I've gotten it to the size of @The Hangar 's F7F (1300mm wingspan, 1000mm length). His plane flew comfortably at half throttle with 2 motors of the same size and prop as I want this plane to fly on, except my plane only has one motor. So I have power concerns. His plane weighed about 1kg. I'm expecting mine to weigh the same. I need to get the plane to be even smaller. Oh and this is with the original design, no twin boom. I could shorten the boom length on the single boom design like innaviation said but I've already done that and I'm afraid of pitchyness problems.

Timmy

Legendary member
Here's the front view:
2020-08-30 22_42_09-_VR-1.svg - Inkscape.png

Its missing the tail.
The prop is behind the wing just in case it's not clear

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
You're off to a great start! Now for a couple suggestion:
Take a look at the hobbyzone aeroscout. I would personally take a lot of ideas from it, like thrust angle for example. Also, notice the power plant. It uses a motor slightly larger than the F pack and has a 1 meter wingspan, so using a C pack should be just fine on yours. You might want to make the nose slope down a little more and use it to create the angle that your power pod needs to be at to achive the correct thrust angle. Also is this going to be a 3CH with rudder or ailerons?
1598922998811.png

Timmy

Legendary member
You're off to a great start! Now for a couple suggestion:
Take a look at the hobbyzone aeroscout. I would personally take a lot of ideas from it, like thrust angle for example. Also, notice the power plant. It uses a motor slightly larger than the F pack and has a 1 meter wingspan, so using a C pack should be just fine on yours. You might want to and use it to create the angle that your power pod needs to be at to achive the correct thrust angle. Also is this going to be a 3CH with rudder or ailerons?
View attachment 178284
This is the post I've been expecting! suggestions! I was wondering about thrust angle. I guess I'll go for a couple of degrees upwards?
make the nose slope down a little more
wut do you mean by that?

Also thanks for finding the aero scout for me! now I have something to go off. By the way the wingspan has been lengthened to 1300mm

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
wut do you mean by that?
It’s kinda just about looks. I like how the aero scout has the nose sloping down, where yours is more of a flat line. You would need that space for the power pod if you had a straight thrust angle, but since it’s sloping down, you you would angle the nose down a bit. Does that make sense? Also, I’d go with the amount of up thrust that the Aeroscout has, but if it’s having trouble flying, that would be the first thing I would change. I had terrible luck with my explorer - I built many power pods exactly to spec thinking I must have messed up the thrust angle on the previous one. It flew, but barely. It was full throttle on 3s and a c pack just to keep it in the air. I finally gave it a more up thrust and it flew amazing.

Timmy

Legendary member
It’s kinda just about looks. I like how the aero scout has the nose sloping down, where yours is more of a flat line. You would need that space for the power pod if you had a straight thrust angle, but since it’s sloping down, you you would angle the nose down a bit. Does that make sense? Also, I’d go with the amount of up thrust that the Aeroscout has, but if it’s having trouble flying, that would be the first thing I would change. I had terrible luck with my explorer - I built many power pods exactly to spec thinking I must have messed up the thrust angle on the previous one. It flew, but barely. It was full throttle on 3s and a c pack just to keep it in the air. I finally gave it a more up thrust and it flew amazing.
you mean i should have a pointier nose?