VR-1.1 Lutra - My First Design (second now) - Build Log

Timmy

Legendary member
If you're really planning on moving this pod between planes, then you should probably reinforce the area above the cutout with some skewers or popsicle sticks so it doesn't bend when you push the pod into the fuse of something like the spitfire.
I'll do that, thanks.

Timmy

Legendary member
Alright!
Schedule
- finish off designing the fuselage (today)
- Build fuselage (tomorrow and the day after if necessary)
- Build wings (Sept 5th and 6th)
- Finish off servo placement and push rod placement (Sept 12th)
- Build tail feathers (Sept 13 th)
- Finishing touches

I am expecting to be quite busy with school so progress will start to slow down next week. I hope I can stick to this schedule.

Timmy

Legendary member
I originally had something more complicated with lift arms and stuff but It was too small to cut out. So I went with something more simple. I used Algodoo to test out designs

Timmy

Legendary member
I'm not sure if this is gonna work
but I was thinking of doing this for the
elevator and rudder push rods:
the one.png

Last edited:

quorneng

Master member
Timmy
Fine for the RH elevator but the LH one at the end of the cross link will be very 'flexible' by comparison.
Push rods only work well when the servo arm and horn are in a direct line.
In addition if you look at geometry the ends of the elevator horns will tend to be further apart with 'up' elevator and closer together with 'down'. Your cross link will not allow that so something will have to 'bend' a bit making the servo work harder just as it is having to overcome the increased aerodynamic load from elevator deflection.
'Angled' hinge lines do create some issues. By far the easiest solution is to use a dedicated servo for each surface. ;)

Timmy

Legendary member
Timmy
Fine for the RH elevator but the LH one at the end of the cross link will be very 'flexible' by comparison.
Push rods only work well when the servo arm and horn are in a direct line.
In addition if you look at geometry the ends of the elevator horns will tend to be further apart with 'up' elevator and closer together with 'down'. Your cross link will not allow that so something will have to 'bend' a bit making the servo work harder just as it is having to overcome the increased aerodynamic load from elevator deflection.
'Angled' hinge lines do create some issues. By far the easiest solution is to use a dedicated servo for each surface. ;)
ok thanks for the tips. I appreciate it!

Timmy

Legendary member
I don't know what to do anymore! I just got a new motor so there is no need for this plane to be swappable! But now I can redesign the thing to be so much smaller. But i don't know for sure if I want it to be unswappable. Argh. I've just been moping about.

Last edited:

Timmy

Legendary member
After much moping, I've made it a low wing and mover the horizontal stab. upwards:
the one.png

I guess i really like the otter design cuz its starting to look like it.

quorneng

Master member
Timmy
Is that black bit is the front view of the battery? If it is what is going to occupy the rest of the fuselage?
Add the wings and tail and it represents quite a bit of frontal area that has to be dragged through the air. ;)