VR-1.1 Lutra - My First Design (second now) - Build Log

Timmy

Legendary member
I also still have power concerns. The thing is as big and around the same weight as the guinea, with the same wing basically but smaller, plus i only have one motor vs the two motors on the guinea. I'm using one 2212 1000kv motor with a 10x4.5

Ranger_107

Elite member
I bet it will still fly fine, just maybe put it on 4s?
and just paint stirrers on the parts that are most likely to snap.

Timmy

Legendary member
Second dilemma:
The fuselage is too wide and doesn't fit flat on one piece of foam. I need to make it thinner but then it starts to look funky.
dilemma partially solved: I'll have a wing box because i want something special to go inside and because it will shorten the fuse's height.
the one.png

The spar will pass just above the power pod but the wing will have to be cut a bit

Timmy

Legendary member
dilemma partially solved: I'll have a wing box because i want something special to go inside and because it will shorten the fuse's height.
View attachment 178369
The spar will pass just above the power pod but the wing will have to be cut a bit
Wait....why don't i just have the power pod stick out a bit to reduce the size of my plane!?! boom! Imma gonna do that tomorrow though.

Last edited:

Timmy

Legendary member
never mind I did it already. ok it looks like this now but now the spar needs to pass through the pod. which i don't like. Solutions?
the one.png

Looks much sleeker!

Timmy

Legendary member
man, this is quickly getting complicated! The power pod is causing so many difficulties in terms of the size of the plane and the wing now too

Yep. It's good to start with the largest and most basic parameters first, like size and style of aircraft and purpose, then work within those parameters. I designed my Stick to be clean & simple and a direct path to successful flight, and to streamline the build process. It was simple enough that I thought I might not be impressed in the end, but I fell in love with it.

quorneng

Master member
Timmy
My suggestion would be to build the wing, then make a motor pod with an underside that exactly fitted the top surface of the wing and simply glue it on. The motor pod would also sort of act a partial dihedral brace.

I did thus on my scratch built 'push pull' which has a very similar layout to yours but has two motors in tandem.
PushPull.JPG

You can see the spar running through the motor pod.
Of course it makes it a 'one piece' plane (nothing is removable) but it is light and strong. It was built in 2012 and it is still going strong.

Timmy
My suggestion would be to build the wing, then make a motor pod with an underside that exactly fitted the top surface of the wing and simply glue it on. The motor pod would also sort of act a partial dihedral brace.

I did thus on my scratch built 'push pull' which has a very similar layout to yours but has two motors in tandem.
View attachment 178400
You can see the spar running through the motor pod.
Of course it makes it a 'one piece' plane (nothing is removable) but it is light and strong. It was built in 2012 and it is still going strong.
Haha Push-Me-Pull-You.
Pushmepullyou.jpg

Timmy

Legendary member
Alright I've come up with this:
the one.png

The power pod has a cut-out so it'll fit over the spar. The wing will have to be cut though. I didn't want to cut the power pod to fit the wing too, because at that point it probably wouldn't be strong enough to go in any other planes.

Last edited:

Flyingshark

Master member
Alright I've come up with this:
View attachment 178405
The power pod has a cut-out so it'll fit over the spar. The wing will have to be cut though. I didn't want to cut the power pod to fit the wing too because at that point it probably would't be strong enough to go in any other planes.
If you're really planning on moving this pod between planes, then you should probably reinforce the area above the cutout with some skewers or popsicle sticks so it doesn't bend when you push the pod into the fuse of something like the spitfire.