Who's commented on Remote ID?

CapnBry

Elite member
Just so everyone knows: There's no official length limit to comments. If your comment doesn't fit in the form, you can attach it as a Word document or PDF. (Mine was a 26 page Word document. :) )
Oh snap that is good to know. I was actually a little relieved that it had a 5000 word limit because I could have spent all day writing counterpoints and suggestions to a dozen more parts. Glad to hear they're getting some well thought out responses and suggestions from the community instead of just people yelling about how awful it is.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Just sent in my second comment. It was not such a personal comment as the first but should be just as effective being that it is a submitted comment. Does anybody know of where you can see the number of comments submitted. I wonder if there has been a spike this weekend being the last chance to get them in. It actually might be more effective to post numerous comments instead of one long one, might have better possibilities just in the numbers alone.

Mad Turkey

Mine went in tonight. I want to thank the Flite Test crew for their efforts in helping me to shape what I hope was a useful comment. They've been doing good work to represent the hobby to the FAA. Now let's hope we can get something out of this that we can live with.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Somebody has been busy. Over 44,000 this morning.

EDIT: Disclaimer at bottom:
* This count refers to the total comment/submissions received on this document, as of 11:59 PM yesterday. Note: Agencies review all submissions, however some agencies may choose to redact, or withhold, certain submissions (or portions thereof) such as those containing private or proprietary information, inappropriate language, or duplicate/near duplicate examples of a mass-mail campaign. This can result in discrepancies between this count and those displayed when conducting searches on the Public Submission document type. For specific information about an agency’s public submission policy, refer to its website or the Federal Register document.

Last edited:

stereodreieck86

Here is my extended comment:

Here is my perspective (from a German guy) who has never been to the U.S; let's talk about Europe first, then America because laws in Europe are more restrictive than ever before and these overly restrictive laws or at least the mindset will.
But what exactly happened in 2017 !? I am not going to go into details but here are a few points; you have to do a test (called Kenntnisnachweis), pay 26bucks and carry the card that comes with it with you all the time, you can not fly without a spotter at all if under 14years old and the biggest problem you can't fly over 100metres without the Kenntnisnachweis which is the most severe incision of all (keep in mind we used to happily fly up to 300metres, sometimes even more in Airspace G).
Because of all these laws, many people quit the Hobby already and it's going to get worse from Summer 2020 because of even more restrictive laws.
And what's going to happen if laws get way too restrictive, well let's have a look at the relationship with our lovely neighbors, the French people; we (Germans) used to travel to the lovely country of whine, baguette, and Oh I almost forgot, of course, Slope- and Thermal soaring but that's all history because France put some ridiculous laws in place what do I mean by ridiculous !? You are extremely restricted on maximum altitude (I believe its 100metres), need a transponder (these transponders do not even exist right now, they are still in development as far as I know) for pretty much all types of planes and so on which means Thermals oaring and pretty much everything fast or big like Jets is pretty much history. We (Germans) do not travel to France any longer and put our money into the local economy.
But enough about Europe lets move on to the land of the Free (with the most people in prison per capita worldwide) and the proposed laws.
I fear for my privacy with the proposed laws because only very few people should have access to my data like Name, Position, etc. I think the proposed laws will not only violate my privacy (even though I am not even a U.S citizen) but also undermine a fundamental pillar (which is right to informational self-determination) present in every modern country and constitution.
The lack of a risk assessment is also a huge red flag for me because the normal procedure would have been a risk assessment first in order to determine if new laws are even necessary or not or to what extent.
Speaking of risk assessment, let's have a look at the best risk assessors in the world, insurance companies, they rely on accurate risk assessment but you can still get insurance (up to a few millions) for a couple of bucks (the price is pretty much the same for many years) which clearly shows how low the risk really is.
The proposed laws or anything near that will also choke innovation made in America because fewer people join the Hobby, fewer people get inspired, fewer people come up with great ideas and U.S will suffer economically because of that.
A representative of the Military-industrial complex said once; "We have to be the leader in aspect" they call it Fullspectrumdominance and America will lose its Fullspectrumdominance if this makes it into laws.

chris398mx

Master member
Well, I put my comment in last night and looked again today to see how many comments were submitted. If I was reading correctly, the website said over 50,000 which was encouraging. Although I personally think we should have had at 3 times that many as 2/3 of the AMA members should have commented. Now the bad news. I was wondering how many comments were actually worth while so I started reading some of them and putting them into 3 categories. Keep in mind that my sampling was small and completely random on which comments I read.
1. Completely worthless and will be ignored or worse will do harm to our cause ( 40% in this category)
2. The person at least tried, but did not address specifics of the rules or alternate solutions to the rules. (35% in this category)
3. Good useful comments stating issues with the proposed plan and listing some alternatives (25% in this category) Some of the suggestions were not very useful or seemed within reach (my opinion only), but at least the person tried to be constructive.

So this means that out of the 50,000 comments, only about 12,500 will hold any value. I guess this is better than nothing , but I was hoping the RC community could do better than this.

Here is hoping for the best!

Vimana89

Legendary member
Here is my extended comment:

Here is my perspective (from a German guy) who has never been to the U.S; let's talk about Europe first, then America because laws in Europe are more restrictive than ever before and these overly restrictive laws or at least the mindset will.
But what exactly happened in 2017 !? I am not going to go into details but here are a few points; you have to do a test (called Kenntnisnachweis), pay 26bucks and carry the card that comes with it with you all the time, you can not fly without a spotter at all if under 14years old and the biggest problem you can't fly over 100metres without the Kenntnisnachweis which is the most severe incision of all (keep in mind we used to happily fly up to 300metres, sometimes even more in Airspace G).
Because of all these laws, many people quit the Hobby already and it's going to get worse from Summer 2020 because of even more restrictive laws.
And what's going to happen if laws get way too restrictive, well let's have a look at the relationship with our lovely neighbors, the French people; we (Germans) used to travel to the lovely country of whine, baguette, and Oh I almost forgot, of course, Slope- and Thermal soaring but that's all history because France put some ridiculous laws in place what do I mean by ridiculous !? You are extremely restricted on maximum altitude (I believe its 100metres), need a transponder (these transponders do not even exist right now, they are still in development as far as I know) for pretty much all types of planes and so on which means Thermals oaring and pretty much everything fast or big like Jets is pretty much history. We (Germans) do not travel to France any longer and put our money into the local economy.
But enough about Europe lets move on to the land of the Free (with the most people in prison per capita worldwide) and the proposed laws.
I fear for my privacy with the proposed laws because only very few people should have access to my data like Name, Position, etc. I think the proposed laws will not only violate my privacy (even though I am not even a U.S citizen) but also undermine a fundamental pillar (which is right to informational self-determination) present in every modern country and constitution.
The lack of a risk assessment is also a huge red flag for me because the normal procedure would have been a risk assessment first in order to determine if new laws are even necessary or not or to what extent.
Speaking of risk assessment, let's have a look at the best risk assessors in the world, insurance companies, they rely on accurate risk assessment but you can still get insurance (up to a few millions) for a couple of bucks (the price is pretty much the same for many years) which clearly shows how low the risk really is.
The proposed laws or anything near that will also choke innovation made in America because fewer people join the Hobby, fewer people get inspired, fewer people come up with great ideas and U.S will suffer economically because of that.
A representative of the Military-industrial complex said once; "We have to be the leader in aspect" they call it Fullspectrumdominance and America will lose its Fullspectrumdominance if this makes it into laws.
Absolutely true. Who's going to want(or have the skills to) grow up and build planes for "the man" when they kill our childhood interests in aviation, aerodynamics, and engineering(not to mention our fun)? Answer: not anyone particularly smart or innovative. Good on you for framing this in the perspective of their own self interest, because that's really all they listen to.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Also, even the crudest and most "worthless comments" are apparently being categorized positive or negative...and they are seeing an overwhelmingly negative response at this point. Lets keep the comments civil and factual in the official places, but everywhere else, don't be afraid to bash 'em. Lets not forget that the FAA's negligence has cost a lot of lives lately, in ways that have nothing to do with RC craft, so when they want to pull this double standard, somebody should immediately b* slap them with the ugly facts and put their dirty laundry on the table. You want to go on a witch hunt against RC when you can't even approve/certify FULL SCALE PASSENGER PLANES properly, and let those crappy 737 maxes with their faulty angle of attack sensors into the air, then you want to come at RC pilots like we are the problem? They should be berated for their lack of integrity. Never play ball in their court or let them limit the narrative on what's "politically incorrect" to say.

I've dropped home made memes on youtube comments "they will plow our hobby into the dirt faster than a hastily approved 737 Max." In some ways it's funny, but it's really not, because people actually lost their lives due to the stupidity and negligence of these self-serving authoritarian cretins.

Last edited:

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
I still think we should be lighting up the phones of our representatives.

This is an election year. A big one. Assuming Bernie as the dem candidate, this year we will be voting on whether or not the US Federal Govt should allow Americans to own private property at all.

I'm not here making the pitch for either party. I'm just saying we should be in there pitching our side to the people with the power to make a difference and who want our votes.

The FAA doesn't need our votes. They get their merit raises no matter what they crash.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I commented. Wrote a lengthy comment detailing issues with the NPRM and suggested changes to make it more compatible with the hobby. I've worked with people in government and have generally found that most are well-intentioned and dedicated, but are also often thrown tasks with tight deadlines that they have no knowledge about or training in (because "someone has to do it" and the person assigned happens to have availability). Helping them to understand what the hobby is and how it works is good. Ranting is non-productive.

A few suggested issues that one could tackle:
* privacy as relates to the information shared for those flying with Remote ID
* FRIAs can only be created for the first year
* no provision for retrofitting legacy aircraft with Remote ID
* no provision for flying over private land in remote areas without Remote ID (Class G airspace)
* the poorly conceived 51% amateur-built rule, which, among other issues, includes the transmitter and other electronic components in the 51% of stuff that potentially has to be fabricated and built by amateurs, and provides no definition around how the 51% is to be measured
* virtually useless Limited RID option - 400 foot radius sphere around the pilot (at 399 feet the aircraft would have just a few inches of vertical space in order to be less than 400 feet away), and of course, what happens to fixed wing aircraft as they approach that distance?
* requirement to individually register each aircraft even if not equipped with remote id, which serves no purpose and provides no useful information to the FAA

Good sum up of the hobby killing items in the proposed rule. @Captain Video - Keeping positive is important here. I will refrain from my normal quip on what I can be positive about. FTCA vid seemed to indicate that if a %number is there the FAA will then consider the comments. oddly, they could tell us what that number is.

I didn't see, but did the rule identify the punishment fro non-compliance?

Guess what I got last night... when I picked it out of the mailbox - this morning? The AMA magazine with the go make a comment on the FAA NPRM. exactly A day late and $4.25 short.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Even you are not in the USA, you need to make a comment, mine below...

Radio control (RC) has a long history going back many decades with no issues of safety. Model flying of free-flight extends back even before manned aviation. The wide variety types of model RC flying coves everything from a rubber powered balsa simple flying model through to micro turbine powered planes and helicopters with multiple types in-between.
Most radio control vehicles are flown line of sight but many include real-time video transmission placing the pilot in charge virtually in the aircraft’s cockpit.
So many amateur RC models are hand built with care and attention form a variety of materials, and using a host of building techniques.
Companies throughout the world have built a livelihood in supplying materials for these amateur builders.
Many schools use model aviation to teach science and technology utilising such cheap materials as foamboard and glue to create a capable airframe which inspires so many young people.
The NPRM for Remote ID would effectively destroy this long history of SAFE and INSPIRING flying.
Many people do not have the transport or money to be able to join an established model flying club, the ability to fly in a park, field etc. with absolutely no danger to other vehicles in the airspace.
The limitation of only allowing such planes to fly in incredibly limited locations is simple taking control to untenable levels.
The existing limitation of 400 feet and line of sight horizontally is completely fine for the majority of model flying. In fact most model flying occurs in the airspace that no manned aircraft should ever be in.
The existing LAANC system would be the preferable method of defining a location for model RC flying, providing a simple and effective method of advertising to other aircraft that that very low altitude model flying is occurring.
I do not believe that the additional controls the FAA are proposing will actually provide any additional safety, indeed no additional safety is needed as RC model flying has an unblemished record of safety. Indeed the transmission of operator location to any member of the general public would make their personal safety worse, opening them up to someone taking umbrage and attacking the RC flyer.
The simplest and most effective method is to strictly enforce the lower limit of altitude for general aviation to the 500 feet that is already in place except in the locality of an airport or helipad for take of and landings. This should lower limit should include any commercial non-manned aircraft. Time and time again the danger to life has come from manned flight, especially general aviation and I believe that better control of this area would be most beneficial to the public.
I wish i had seen this thread and subscribed... this is well put comment. Thank you Caroline. Where are the UK rules currently?