Willy Nillies Eaglet 250 build. It's here!

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I had to step away from the forums for a couple weeks and was overjoyed to come back and read this thread! :love:

Great looking build @Turbojoe! And I love the support and interaction of the community here. Thanks to everyone for sharing, supporting, and generally being good hoomans here. It does my wrinkled old heart good to see this. :p

Turbojoe

Elite member
I And I love the support and interaction of the community here. Thanks to everyone for sharing, supporting, and generally being good hoomans here. It does my wrinkled old heart good to see this. :p

Life throws some rotten times at you. Sometimes it's nice to know that even people that you've never met face to face care and wish nothing but the best outcome for you and all involved. Better times are ahead for you.........(y)

Joe

Turbojoe

Elite member
Hey Joe, Did you put any angle on the motor or is it flat on the firewall?

For the maiden it was flat to the firewall. It looks like plenty of down thrust is already built in to the firewall angle. Since the maiden I've moved electronics around enough to be able to remove half the nose weight I added and at Doug's suggestion I drooped the ailerons 1/8". I did add a small washer at the top of the mount but I'm guessing once I get a chance to fly her again it won't be needed so I'm going to take it back out.

Joe

TooJung2Die

Master member
At Doug's suggestion I drooped the ailerons 1/8".
Hmmm... I didn't know about trimming the ailerons like that. I have mine trimmed flat. 1/8" seems like a lot but if it helps I'll set mine like that too. I'll start with the motor flat to the firewall.

Where is the recommended CG?

Turbojoe

Elite member
Hmmm... I didn't know about trimming the ailerons like that. I have mine trimmed flat. 1/8" seems like a lot but if it helps I'll set mine like that too. I'll start with the motor flat to the firewall.

Where is the recommended CG?

My ailerons were flat too for the maiden. I've drooped the ailerons on planes with flat bottom wings before and it does help a lot with slow speed flight. My CG is now 1 3/8" behind the L.E. and Doug says that's where his is and he likes it. I'm hoping to get mine out again this weekend to see how all the changes turn out. She should be a dream to fly now.

Joe

Willy Nillies

Elite member
Hi guys,

Just my suggestion, but what we've found with this airfoil for best all around performance (without flaperons programmed in) is for the top of the aileron to match the top curverature of the wing. It's a good mix of speed and slow flight ability.

Optimally it would be best to have tapered stock ailerons instead of the flat plate ailerons, but cost/complexity and weight were driving factors.

We think you'll find either way you rig your ailerons, you'll still have a big ol' smile after your first flight. 😁

Sincerely,
Doug and Becky
WillyNillies.com

TooJung2Die

Master member
Hi Doug, I hope it will fly inverted. I'm just getting the hang of it. Wouldn't having the ailerons matching the top of the wing curve make flying inverted worse? I can mix camber and flaps in with the ailerons and put it on a three position switch. That way I can try 3 different aileron settings while in the air.

Jon

Last edited:

Willy Nillies

Elite member
Hi Jon,

If you have the ability with a 3 position switch, by all means do mix in different levels! It makes it even more fun! :) See video below, I describe how much and down trim mix. Even with the ailerons matching the top curve of the airfoil, inverted flight is very easy. ;-)

Sincerely
Doug and Becky
WillyNillies.com

Turbojoe

Elite member
Nothing earth shattering here. Just a quick update. My back problems have had me out of commission and laying flat for the last week. I woke up this morning and was feeling good enough to finally go out and fly! Looked out the window and oops! Raining and it's STILL raining. So much for that idea. :cry: I decided to finally go ahead and add the wing center section blue and red graphics that were missing compared to the big brother Eaglet 50. No big deal but I'm finally done with the covering. Now I just want to fly her again.....

Pay no attention to "Skully" in the background..........:eek: :unsure:

Joe
Eaglet 250 update.JPG

Turbojoe

Elite member
On the Eaglet 50 all colors are Solarfilm. On the Eaglet 250 the blue is Solarfilm from scrap and the red is what I got from Willy Nillies. The 250 is covered with Solarfilm white.

Joe

TooJung2Die

Master member
Thanks. I tried the Windex method for applying metallic green SolarFilm as trim. Did not go well. Windex reacts with SolarFilm adhesive. The SolarFilm curled, wouldn't lay flat and the adhesive bled out the edges when heated.

Turbojoe

Elite member
It's always hit or miss for me too. Sometimes Windex works sometimes it's the covering iron. I have a few bottles of the Monokote trim solvent but just can't stand the putrid odor of that stuff so it just stays on the shelf. For what I did on the little Eaglet I used the iron at 225 degrees with a sock on the iron. No bubbles and well adhered. Probably just got lucky is all....

Joe

Turbojoe

Elite member
I finally got a second flight on my Eaglet 250 this morning. After moving gear around and removing some nose weight she's darn close to perfect. Just very minor tweaking needed now. Mainly a tad more down elevator for inverted flight and very minor rudder/aileron mixing. Next time out I think I'll take her big brother the all balsa Eaglet 50 to blow the dust off it as well. I couldn't be more pleased with this bird. :)

Joe

Turbojoe

Elite member
Yay!!!! Wish we had better weather to fly some!

Sincerely,
Doug and Becky
WillyNillies.com

I got lucky. Missed a perfect day yesterday helping my daughter but that was more important than flying. Today wasn't perfect but the next several days are supposed to suck so I'm glad I got in these flights.

I've gotta say in only two flights this little Eaglet is just a few very minute TX setting adjustments away from being just about perfect. She's a favorite for sure.

Joe

Michael9865

Elite member
Would it be possible to convert the Eaglet to a tail dragger? I was wondering if it was possible to move the main gear assembly to just behind the lower hatch?