XF VIPER - Foamboard F-16 EDF

IcedStorm777

The helix will be your best choice.
Looks like it has a 24x18" working area (approximately 610x460mm) so, you are probably going to have to make your own cut files.
Your going to have to become comfortable with a CAD program of some sort to take the "pieces" and rearrange to fit the Helix's working area.

"Cutting" verses "Etching" on lasers is a function of power/speed. I cut my foam in two passes to help minimize the cut back because the heat of the laser will melt the foam a bit and it will form a cupped area at the cut line. You are just going to have to play with those numbers until you find ones that work (or maybe someone here has experience with Epilog equipment.)

There's at least one other thread talking about laser cutters, so I don't want to hijack this one any more. ;)

Do you know anyone who could do this for me on the forums? I have never used CAD or any building software for that matter and i need help. If not do you know a software i could use for free for this? how would i get the pieces of the aircraft onto the software so that i could move them around. Thanks

Liemavick

Mentor
Finally got around to putting some color on the Viper build.

Attachments

• 20180906_194342.jpg
    20180906_194342.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20180906_194414.jpg
    20180906_194414.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0

Liemavick

Mentor
File folder, photo paper, posterboard, whatever you have handy. Regular printing paper isnt going to cut it. ;)

IcedStorm777

Ok, thanks. I will probably go out to my local maker-space sometime this week and finish cutting the plans out. So excited!! :)

jagee

This is my first ever EDF.
First try at a maiden:
Needed a much stronger throw.

Second attempt went pretty well until I tried a roll. Plane came out with just a couple scratches.

Third time went great. I was keeping the throttle on too much on landing.

It slowed down fine on the final flight that I didn’t film.
Thanks to my wife for filming and to the kids for color commentary.

Chuppster

First try at a maiden:

Second attempt went pretty well until I tried a roll. Plane came out with just a couple scratches.

"I'm going to go get that!!"
"NO YOU WON'T!"

I love kids. This exact same thing happens with my 12 y/o sister whenever she visits.

IcedStorm777

@Mid7night

I have a few questions. I live at 7,500Ft above sea level so getting off the ground here can be a bit tricky. I have had one EDF before, it was the https://www.motionrc.com/collection...jolley-roger-64mm-edf-jet-pnp#description-tab.
Hand launching this was a pain and caused a crash once. I'm guessing altitude had a little bit to do with it. What altitude do you live at? Do you think the F-16 Viper will be able to hand launch easier? Also, what EDF are you using? Thank you I know that was a lot of questions.

IcedStorm777

@Mid7night

I have a few questions. I live at 7,500Ft above sea level so getting off the ground here can be a bit tricky. I have had one EDF before, it was the https://www.motionrc.com/collection...jolley-roger-64mm-edf-jet-pnp#description-tab.
Hand launching this was a pain and caused a crash once. I'm guessing altitude had a little bit to do with it. What altitude do you live at? Do you think the F-16 Viper will be able to hand launch easier? Also, what EDF are you using? Thank you I know that was a lot of questions.
Oh, also what ESC did you use?

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
@Mid7night

I live in Southern California, basically at sea level. That's a very interesting question, certainly a new one to me. I would think it's possible, but you might want to look for a day with a headwind and throw it as hard as you can into the wind.

Also, build light and use a smaller battery, something in the range of 2600-3000mAh 4S. I use 70mm 12-blade EDFs, and I would suggest that more blades will get you more power at high altitude.

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Yes, a 4S 3200 would be a good size.

I generally use something in the 70A to 85A range for my ESCs. I over-spec them because I tend to fly at higher throttle settings for most of the flight, and even in direct airflow the ESC is going to get quite a workout and you don't want it to get hot.

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
First try at a maiden:

Congratulations! That looked awesome! So glad it survived to fly again. Family at the field with you is the best. :D

jagee

Congratulations! That looked awesome! So glad it survived to fly again. Family at the field with you is the best. :D
Thanks to you Ben for an awesome design! Definitely planning on having this one at FFT although I may have to build it again and go without paint to see if that helps in terms of weight. I should have weighed it before and after painting.