YANTBL: Yet another NOOB tricopter build log

JoeyG

Great read.. enjoyed following your progress. I'm planning a BatBone build, this has helped alot! Thanks, do you think you'll move to FPV?

J.

Johan

Great read.. enjoyed following your progress. I'm planning a BatBone build, this has helped alot! Thanks, do you think you'll move to FPV?

J.

Thanks JoeyG, that's very kind!
Let us know how your build is going

About the FPV: well, yes I might try that :) , here is a sneak preview

I just wired up a Boscam 5.8 Ghz receiver with a cheapo TFT, Lipo powered.
I might try the "Ski glasses / foam board / fresnel lens (to get the display closer to the eyes)" setup inspired by an article on FPV lab :) (Gotta do something if you can't afford the fat sharks...)

The live video on the (Ebay) TFT was from a GoPro hero 3 with a mini USB plug I've soldered after FT David's example plugged into the Boscam transmitter.

PS: for correct attribution: Music: Six More Weeks by Evening Fires (myspace.com/eveningfires)

Last edited:

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Johan,

Great minds think alike it would seem (I am of mixed Dutch descent several generations ago). I have what would appear to be the same components. I plan an EPP foam "face mask" to hold the display and associated lenses as required by my aging eyes. Somewhere in my internet travels I spied a man in England that did or still does sell such a "mask". If I find the link I'll post it (probably somewhere on RCGroups.com).

Thurmond

Johan

Ha ha "Great minds", I'm flattered!

I too need the lens due to aging eyes :), my initial test setup had lengths of cable with cinch plugs, eliminated those by soldering directly in the TFT, getting rid of half the weight and a lot of wiring mess...

If by chance you still understand some Dutch, here is a thread where several people are building a similar setup.

I'm curious how your project is going!

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Ha ha "Great minds", I'm flattered!

I too need the lens due to aging eyes :), my initial test setup had lengths of cable with cinch plugs, eliminated those by soldering directly in the TFT, getting rid of half the weight and a lot of wiring mess...

If by chance you still understand some Dutch, here is a thread where several people are building a similar setup.

I'm curious how your project is going!

No, I don't think there have been any in my family who could speak Dutch for probably 200 years of so. I have not made much progress except to gather the bits and bench test. I did find that my 5.8 transmitter is strong enough to pass through 2 solid metal walls some 250' apart with excellent picture quality.

Thurmond

Johan

I did some remodeling for my "Virtual Batbone" (3D model for simulator)

Now I can ride virtual FPV on the back of the Batbone (nice if you've seen the weather over here:)):

Posted some footage on Vimeo:
PS, if you see nothing, uncheck HD, for some reason it does not show ...

Last edited:

Johan

The modifications:

Added LED strips to the back, light to the KK2 assembly and a GoPro light (blink is not supported...)
Made the landing gears more like the real thing, added 'better' ESC wires.

While I was at it, I also created a hires version of the 'old' flying field, I'll update those in the appropriate thread...

Here are some pictures ...

Batbone1.jpg

Batbone2.jpg

Batbone3.jpg

KK2 and LED's lighting up:

Batbone4.jpg

Going to inspect Chads roof :)

Batbone5.jpg

Oops, cannot post and fly at the same time:)

Batbone6.jpg

Johan

Hi Thurmond,

Thanks, I'll try. Looked at Phoenix RC, but that is a no no.
Maybe the scenery, but model itself can't be done (proprietary file format), the scene may work (but no collisions etc).

I'll have a look at FMS and RC Desk Pilot.

Johan

Hi Thurmond,

Thanks, I'll try. Looked at Phoenix RC, but that is a no no.
Maybe the scenery, but model itself can't be done (proprietary file format), the scene may work (but no collisions etc).

I'll have a look at FMS and RC Desk Pilot.

I did a conversion of the Kapper residence scenery for PhoenixRC (which, given the software you have to do it in is an achievement:)):

Here it is (hope it works)

There are no obstacles (I can't get it to work) except for the ground ...

Johan

Ok, next project (It is really autumn out there, windy and stuff, so better be inside.....):

So what is it going to be:

foto 4.JPG

Phase one: 15 y old ski goggles (not much use in the Netherlands, bought these for a long weekend in the French Alps loooong time ago).
Orange plastic replaced by a fresnel lens ... and some kind of foam (This used to keep my notebook neoprene case in shape, but actually it was a kind of packaging material)

foto 3.JPG

Stuff measured and lined out (time to get the hot glue gun.....)

foto 2.JPG

Ok, starting to look like 'poor man's Glass' :)

foto 1.JPG

A look from the other end ....(never mind the hot-glue), or the fact that it is not straight B.T.W...

So now I need to:
- Line the inside with something black (bad planning, should have done that before)
- fit the eBay rear view monitor in this 'case'
- Tape it and cover light leaks.
- Do some actual FPV instead of fooling around in the attic (https://vimeo.com/77184783) ...

Last edited:

Johan

Ok, some progress:

Insides are lined with black matte paper, measuring foam for the back.
Have to make a hole for the power+video cables ..

WhaleGoggles1.JPG

And here it is: the latest "WhaleShark" (other suggestions are welcome)

WhaleGoggles2.JPG

Just did a few tests, and it is now completely light proof, monitor looks good.
So I'm quite happy!
Well, apart from looking like a complete idiot when wearing it :)

PS, this is the kind of tape that sticks really well ....
if you apply some CA!, that is ...

I won't be buying that again

Last edited: