from foamboard to 3D print EDF Jet!

Dr. Looping Looie

Elite member
The second prototype is finished and it flew well, until my buddy crashed it on the fifth flight. It was an epic lawndart and nothing is left except electronics. This gave me the opportunity to improve it one more time. The crash cost around 4 days of printing and 12€ in filament.

IMG_20210530_172733.jpg

IMG_20210530_172759.jpg

The Fopster

Master member
Finally got to maiden mine today. I was quite nervous as it's my first EDF and I'm still quite a new pilot but I needn't have worried. Flew three batteries without any problems - I was on low rates and didn't try anything ambitious in the high wind but it's surprisingly easy to fly. Very pleased -
I guess I need to make the canopy and paint it now!

Attachments

• IMG_20210830_153246_683.jpg
    IMG_20210830_153246_683.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 0

Marzipan

hey Doc, can you define what 3D printing foam is and how it's done?

I had a client call me yesterday looking for a PDU for a 3D foam printer they just bought and in our discussion asked if they've printed any planes. they commented they have never heard of a 3D printer that prints 'foam'...but said they use a CnC to modify foam for different things all the time.

so I'm a bit confused if 3D printing foam is not actually printing foam in a 3D printer, LoL! :p

The Fopster

Master member
Still no paint on mine yet but I've added a cheater hole underneath the fuse which seems to have added some speed. This is a great first EDF - very easy to fly. Can't help looking at it and wondering what would happen if I cut off the tail booms and converted it to a delta with elevons? I'd need to add a vertical stabiliser and maybe increase the size of the ailerons a bit, but...
🤔

Dr. Looping Looie

Elite member
hey Doc, can you define what 3D printing foam is and how it's done?

I had a client call me yesterday looking for a PDU for a 3D foam printer they just bought and in our discussion asked if they've printed any planes. they commented they have never heard of a 3D printer that prints 'foam'...but said they use a CnC to modify foam for different things all the time.

so I'm a bit confused if 3D printing foam is not actually printing foam in a 3D printer, LoL! :p

I dont really know what you mean. This plane can be build using foamboard, with standard FT techniques and without the use of a 3d printer. However, I am also working on a version, which is 3d printed. The two airframes are identical in dimensions, but otherwise completely different. Its designed to be printed with standard PLA, but there is also another material called LW PLA. This material foams up during printing to be a little lighter. maybe that is what you mean.

FlyingWithRyan

Elite member
Still no paint on mine yet but I've added a cheater hole underneath the fuse which seems to have added some speed. This is a great first EDF - very easy to fly. Can't help looking at it and wondering what would happen if I cut off the tail booms and converted it to a delta with elevons? I'd need to add a vertical stabiliser and maybe increase the size of the ailerons a bit, but...
🤔
Your center of pressure and cg would change drastically, I'd be very concerned about being in CG limits.