from foamboard to 3D print EDF Jet!

Dr. Looping Looie

Elite member
It all startet half a Year ago when I wanted to scratch build a new EDF jet. My FMS 50mm unit went through 4 different planes before, but they all lacked something. They didnt flew well enough. I wanted something that was both fast and slow, but light enough to climb vertical. I began picturing something in my head. I really like the twin boom jets like the Xcalivur or the Bobcat. Twin boom is my favorite layout, because of its large tail surfaces, it offers great stability, it tracks like it's on rails and at slow speeds it gives the plane very gentle characteristics. It should also have a high sweep wing wing with strakes to make it not stall. And most important, it should look good.

I made a quick drawing, which looked phantastic, so I immediately started building by measuring and scaling up the drawing. And just two hours later, the Foamboard was transformed into this:
IMG_20200727_234454.jpg

IMG_20200727_234712.jpg

Right after the maiden, it was clear that this was my favorite Jet I ever had. It was speedy, but if you pull the elevator, it becomes a completely different beast. You can do super tight loops, almost like flips, and cobra maneuvers. Thanks to its aerodynamic design its impossible to stall, and if you slow it down, it enters an extremely stable state. It can also do vertical climbouts, which makes it a very fun, capable, yet easy to fly EDF jet.
I also added some LEDs to turn it into an all weather night flyer, and it was even used to celebrate new year at 20mph wind.

Specs:
Wingspan: 80cm
Length: 120cm
Flying weight: 700 gramms
Power: 50mm EDF with 4S 2200 LiPo

Flight Video:

Now I think this is like the perfect plane of its kind, and if you like it, I'll do some plans for you to build your own.

Now that I got my 3D printer, I want to step the game up a bit and go beyond the limitations if foam. I will convert the whole thing into a 3D printable version, and improve the aerodynamics along the way. With carefully selected wing profiles, circular fuselage and optimized air intakes, it will be sleeker, faster and more precise than the foam version, but it will also be heavier from the PLA.
I already started modeling it in CAD, and it already consumed multiple days if work, and a lot still needs to be done, especially the inner structure.
Heres a little sneak peek:
IMG-20210319-WA0013.jpeg

IMG-20210321-WA0013.jpeg

Tell me what you think and if you would build one out of foam, if enough are interested, Ill draw some plans.

Greetings,
Tristan Emde

OliverW

Legendary member
It all startet half a Year ago when I wanted to scratch build a new EDF jet. My FMS 50mm unit went through 4 different planes before, but they all lacked something. They didnt flew well enough. I wanted something that was both fast and slow, but light enough to climb vertical. I began picturing something in my head. I really like the twin boom jets like the Xcalivur or the Bobcat. Twin boom is my favorite layout, because of its large tail surfaces, it offers great stability, it tracks like it's on rails and at slow speeds it gives the plane very gentle characteristics. It should also have a high sweep wing wing with strakes to make it not stall. And most important, it should look good.

I made a quick drawing, which looked phantastic, so I immediately started building by measuring and scaling up the drawing. And just two hours later, the Foamboard was transformed into this:
View attachment 196277
View attachment 196278

Right after the maiden, it was clear that this was my favorite Jet I ever had. It was speedy, but if you pull the elevator, it becomes a completely different beast. You can do super tight loops, almost like flips, and cobra maneuvers. Thanks to its aerodynamic design its impossible to stall, and if you slow it down, it enters an extremely stable state. It can also do vertical climbouts, which makes it a very fun, capable, yet easy to fly EDF jet.
I also added some LEDs to turn it into an all weather night flyer, and it was even used to celebrate new year at 20mph wind.

Specs:

Flight Video:

Now I think this is like the perfect plane of its kind, and if you like it, I'll do some plans for you to build your own.

Now that I got my 3D printer, I want to step the game up a bit and go beyond the limitations if foam. I will convert the whole thing into a 3D printable version, and improve the aerodynamics along the way. With carefully selected wing profiles, circular fuselage and optimized air intakes, it will be sleeker, faster and more precise than the foam version, but it will also be heavier from the PLA.
I already started modeling it in CAD, and it already consumed multiple days if work, and a lot still needs to be done, especially the inner structure.
View attachment 196282
View attachment 196281

Tell me what you think and if you would build one out of foam, if enough are interested, Ill draw some plans.

Greetings,
Tristan Emde
I would definitely build one out of foam!

whackflyer

Master member

View attachment 196277
View attachment 196278

Specs:

Flight Video:

View attachment 196282
View attachment 196281

Greetings,
Tristan Emde
Looks really nice. I'd be interested in foam plans.

The Fopster

Master member

View attachment 196277
View attachment 196278

Specs:

Flight Video:

View attachment 196282
View attachment 196281

Greetings,
Tristan Emde
Yes to foam plans. Perfect first EDF? I've got a 3s 50mm FMS fan that needs a home!

View attachment 196277
View attachment 196278

Specs:

Flight Video:

View attachment 196282
View attachment 196281

Greetings,
Tristan Emde
I love seeing a real design success story. I bet you have a huge sense of satisfaction with this!

Dr. Looping Looie

Elite member
I love seeing a real design success story. I bet you have a huge sense of satisfaction with this!
Yes! But its just the beginning. If enough people like it, even more versions will come out, and I already have another sportjet design in the works, I dont want to spoil too much, but this thing is just the test run, the successor will be, in my eyes, the most beautiful jet ever of all time!

Yes! But its just the beginning. If enough people like it, even more versions will come out, and I already have another sportjet design in the works, I dont want to spoil too much, but this thing is just the test run, the successor will be, in my eyes, the most beautiful jet ever of all time!
Love that! Hey don't be shy!

quorneng

Master member
de Havilland did came to a similar conclusion with the Venom.
Not such 'aggressive' styling but probably better aerodynamics. ;)

Dr. Looping Looie

Elite member
Here are a few pictures to help you:

On the horizontal stabelizer, remove the foam from the leading edge and fold the paper over to create more strength
IMG_20210326_171830.jpg

That's how the part should look like where the trailing edge of the wing connects to the fuselage. Pic is shot from below
IMG_20210326_171837.jpg

And here's another reference
IMG_20210326_171920.jpg

If you have any questions, ask me!

The Fopster

Master member
Looks great - I'll definitely build one, and then probably immediately crash it! A few quick questions:
Where is the CG?
How does the battery hatch work?
Are those long triangle pieces wing spars?
Thanks for sharing the plans. I was going to build a grunjet as my first EDF but this looks like a great alternative to mix things up a bit! (And then I can build Grifflyer's F22 as an encore!)

Wonder if your 3d printed version would work in LW-PLA?

Dr. Looping Looie

Elite member
V2 of the plans is done! I added different line colors so you can easily see what needs to be done.

Black full line: Cut through everything
Red striped line: Cut through top paper and foam
Blue striped line: Cut through top paper only
Small points: Remove top paper only
Large points: Remove everything except bottom paper
Waves: Do a bevel cut

Edit: I just realized that some files didnt convert properly. Its still possible to build it, I will try to solve the problem.
Plan number 4 convertet properly. se it as a reference. Also all line colors are correct, only the infill is missing. Do bevel cuts everywhere where blue lines are.

Attachments

• twin boom jet1.pdf
    84.1 KB · Views: 0
  • twin boom jet2.pdf
    61.8 KB · Views: 0
  • twin boom jet3.pdf
    65.1 KB · Views: 0
  • twin boom jet4.pdf
    130.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Dr. Looping Looie

Elite member
Looks great - I'll definitely build one, and then probably immediately crash it! A few quick questions:
Where is the CG?
How does the battery hatch work?
Are those long triangle pieces wing spars?
Thanks for sharing the plans. I was going to build a grunjet as my first EDF but this looks like a great alternative to mix things up a bit! (And then I can build Grifflyer's F22 as an encore!)

Wonder if your 3d printed version would work in LW-PLA?
CG is right where the strakes (round pieces that are glued between wing and fuselage) end. Or roughly 10cm aft of the leading edge. However this plane is very forgivin and you can still fly it with CG extreamely far to the back.

Battery hatch is the large cutout on the top fuselage piece. Check the third picture I posted above. I used the two small triangles to prevent the hatch from falling into the fuselage. Then I glued the canopy on. The rest is up to your preferred method of making hatches. I cut the canopy and glued a little foam piece in the hole in the back. the piece is bend to lock the hatch in place. you can also use magnets or velcro or skewers, whatever you like.

Yes, the large triangles are spars. Each wing has two spars. The longer ones go to the second bend in the wing, the shorter ones to the third.

It should work in LW-PLA, but I dont have any experience with this material. I think the stiffness of PLA will make it fly more like a composite jet, while the LW-PLA will make it more like the foam version. I think it depends on if you want to fly fast or slow.

The Fopster

Master member
CG is right where the strakes (round pieces that are glued between wing and fuselage) end. Or roughly 10cm aft of the leading edge. However this plane is very forgivin and you can still fly it with CG extreamely far to the back.

Battery hatch is the large cutout on the top fuselage piece. Check the third picture I posted above. I used the two small triangles to prevent the hatch from falling into the fuselage. Then I glued the canopy on. The rest is up to your preferred method of making hatches. I cut the canopy and glued a little foam piece in the hole in the back. the piece is bend to lock the hatch in place. you can also use magnets or velcro or skewers, whatever you like.

Yes, the large triangles are spars. Each wing has two spars. The longer ones go to the second bend in the wing, the shorter ones to the third.

It should work in LW-PLA, but I dont have any experience with this material. I think the stiffness of PLA will make it fly more like a composite jet, while the LW-PLA will make it more like the foam version. I think it depends on if you want to fly fast or slow.
Great - thank you. One last question - what control throws are you using? I'll start this next week - looks a quick build!