Andre's Durafly Curtiss P-40N Warhawk 1100mm (PNF)

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Durafly Curtiss P-40N Warhawk 1100mm (PNF)

Anyone listening to the Afterhours Podcasts will know I've been waiting for this plane a long time.

4(171).jpg 7(90).jpg 76069.jpg

When HobbyKing accounted more production delays back in the spring I all but gave up on the plane and opt'd to buy a used Dynam Fw 190 1200mm. A nice plane but I've had my share of issues landing it.

attachment.php

The P-40 was finally released in August but sold out immediately. And I was also eyeing the E-Flite P-47 with AS3X.

EFL6850_a6.jpg EFL6850_a8.jpg

Nice plane with a solid history from Parkzone and E-Flite but the P-40 came back into stock and I decided how better to celebrate my 40th birthday then with a P-40N. I'm not allowed to build it till next week but I will do a full technical inspection later this evening when I get home ;)

I was rather happy to discover that Canada did fly the P-40N.

Curtiss P-40 Warhawk - Royal Canadian Air Force

unnamed.jpg

I might have to try and match the decals as closely as possible. PS the date is super awesome.

Gear:
I'll be running a FrSky D8R-II PLUS 2.4Ghz 8CH Receiver with Telemetery.

Batteries will be Turnigy nano-tech A-SPEC G2 2200mah 3S 65~130C Lipo Pack and

ZIPPY Flightmax 1800mAh 4S1P 40C

But I plan to order some ZIPPY Compact 2200mAh 4s 40c Lipo Pack as they will run well in the P-40 and a certain Spitfire MK1 Durafly announced earlier this week.

image (1).jpg image.jpg image-4af274b4.jpg image-627d15d5.jpg

Stay tuned for my reactions later this evening.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Subscribed and lurking - the P-40 is one of my all time favorite warbirds from a historical point of view, and I was thinking of making this my first "big plane". I'm very interested to hear about your experiences with this release.

Thanks,

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
What I'm hoping is it makes me better at landing.

I might spend some time using the SU-29 to get back into the "grove" because my experience with the 190 was errr sad.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Yeah, I warned you about the retracts on the FW-190. This should be much better. I'm not sure how well your field is mowed or the condition of the ground but at this size if you are less than 3" in wheel size you will struggle with landings in general. My Durafly P-51 has 2.5" and I can take off no-problem but landings are frequently imperfect. Larger wheels will help with landing rollout.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
We have a running track (gavel) and the guys are able to land the Durafly T-28, Spitfire and P-51's so I should ok.

The FW-190 seems to be more a case of weight and a bad gear to begin with. I am going to try again soon with the updates I've done plus I will also bend a new gear section out of piano wire. If that fails I'll order some oleo's from HK.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Well Stuart told me Durafly have a few new warbirds in the pipe. So you never know.

Frankly I'll have to put the brakes on soon. I'm out of space ;)

Spastickitten

I have a feeling that hobbyking is trying to become more reliable. Like Horizon Hobby, just on a global scale. They do have a lot of work but this a start.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Of course. In fact the hope is the P-40 flies a little better and I can improve my landing skills and therefore enjoy the 190 as well.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
I'm hoping to do the decals this weekend. ;)

Weather forecast is rather poor.

IMG_6116.jpg IMG_6109.jpg IMG_6108.jpg IMG_6046.jpg