ANET A8 Autolevel with Skynet

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Right had to try this.

Ordered a Practical 6 - 36V Auto Leveling Sensor for 3D Printer, then printed a mount Anet A8 Sensor Mount.

The tricky part was connecting the PC to the printer since my Mac wont talk to it.

Instructions ànd details from SkyNet3d Firmware Development are not half bad.

I did have to tweak the configuration file to update where the sensors position is compared to the nozzle.

In the end the setup works. I need to fine tune the printers physical limits (Early tests involved the hot end slamming into the bed) a bit more but it did a 9 point auto level and print last night.

16683882_10158201227465416_4951816322103247921_n.jpg IMG_1164.jpg IMG_1364.jpg IMG_1381.jpg

Last edited:

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
You are such an enabler. I might have to upgrade mine now too. Keep me posted.

I manually level my bed, I drilled the bed holder and put on the thumb screw leveler mod...I just have to make sure I watch the brim or skirt as it prints to make sure it's printing the 1st layer at the right thickness and it's uniform and consistant all the way around

I have also modded my heat bed and wires to print ABS and that is what I exclusively print

Oh...in case you were wondering

https://www.fasttech.com/products/1040/10029477/6455402
$146.95 (not sure about shipping)

And https://www.fasttech.com/search?pla
$7.52 a KG for PLA! Might have to wait a while...fasttech has been lovingly referred to as "slowtech" in many circles I hang out in

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I ordered the self-leveling hardware when I ordered the A8, but haven't even taken it out of the package yet since the printer is only 3 days old and I'm still printing the required pieces to upgrade it. So far I'm very impressed with how well the printer functions!

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
So I'm about ready to start on installing my auto-level device, but there is a ton of info out there. Is there any set of instructions you found "better" than the rest? You also mentioned during your live print that you changed the code a bit. Can you elaborate?
Thanks!

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Yeah the g-code is pretty simple.

Before the auto level I was doing this.

Starting Script (Old)

G28 ; home all axes
G1 X0 Y20 Z0.2 F3000 ; get ready to prime
G92 E0 ; reset extrusion distance
G1 X200 E20 F600 ; prime nozzle

Starting Script (New)

G28 ; home all axes
G29 ; auto level 9 points
G1 X20 Y20 Z0.2 F3000 ; get ready to prime
G92 E0 ; reset extrusion distance
G1 X200 E20 F600 ; prime nozzle

The new code tells the printer to do the auto level and return to the far lower left corner to perform a prime print.
With the code it was just leaving a glob of filament in its last position ;)

The instruction with the firmware are good enough to do the job but I recommend you do the bed warm.
I did mine cold and had to do it.

Andre.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Thanks for the info. I'm still printing the braces and upgrades for mine. Once they're all done I'll install them, add the mosfet, add tensioners, and do the auto-level update. This darn thing is taking a LOT of my attention right now! :)