AP Super Tucano (FT Power Pack F | swappable)

rmzalbar

I'm ready to fly. Today I sliced the tailplanes off to correct an out-of-square situation I noticed earlier. I set up the throws, subtrimmed the control surfaces center, and gave the motor a run-up. All I need is a rain-free field day.

I have a couple of things to work out before I go: The prop blowing into the intake blows the canopy right off! Must install magnets or a skewer. I also need to figure out a landing scheme, because I don't have soft grass to come down on and the propeller will strike.

I was too hot with the iron when rolling my wingtip leading edge, and the wrinkly skin shows up badly in that picture. I'll smooth it up when I go to paint.

Attachments

• 20190107_200111.jpg
    20190107_200111.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 0

rmzalbar

Today, the Tucano flew! It is fast, fastedy fast-fast fast, and very maneuverable. I'm a beginner. It was a terrifying experience.

Beginner mistakes and lack of patience admission time. The club field was closed due to rain, so I trotted down the street to an empty field within sight of my house and let it rip. However, around this field are tall bushy trees -- fences -- and a sun low in the sky. This plane is small, white, and there are no paint or markings on it, so I had some trouble understanding which way it was oriented, and had to work hard to keep it close enough to see well. A couple times I misjudged and found myself heading for some spot on the ground behind trees, FAST, with only time to make one correct move. I only had it up for two minutes, by the end of it I had to fight panic and trembling hands to come up with and execute a landing plan and bring it down safe.. which I did.. nothing but some green tattoos down the side of the fuse from whipped grass. I felt like Taffy Holden.

The good news is I built it straight - a few clicks of aileron trim against the motor torque and some back-elevator were all it needed, and it did everything I told it to do very crisply. This thing is amazing! It's definitely not a park flyer, at least for me. I should be OK once I get some bright livery on it and fly it at my proper field with nearly unlimited open space.

Now I have to wait out the weather (club field requires 4 consecutive no-rain days to be open) but I'm very excited to get it out again!

Picture is evidence of surviving its maiden in the hands of a foolish beginner.

Attachments

• 20190112_162126.jpg
    20190112_162126.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

rmzalbar

My ESC got pretty warm in my short flight. Plenty of draft from the front intake, but where should I cut an outlet? Bottom of fuse behind the wing perhaps?

AircPirateNinsei

airc-pirates.com
Hey, sorry it took so long for me to get back to this thread. I looked at my build and I believe he may be right, it does look like I had to trim the wing cutouts for it to follow the curve of the wing properly...

So either we both screwed our wings up the same way, or the plans need some adjusting.

Anyways, just my barely useful feedback :)

Thank you very much for your feedback! I built a new wing and the part of the fuselage with the cutout for the wing to check it.
It fits perfectly! See for yourself:

ap_st_123.jpg

I cut the wing apart again and think the key is to make sure the wing folds are outside the spars. I marked them with black paint:

ap_st_124.jpg

rmzalbar

Thank you for checking the wing. I will probably build another Tucano when I receive some of the FT waterproof board. By that time, I may already have crashed this one.

I did a little more work. I grafted on fresh wingtip leading edge sections to replace the rumpled mess I had made with my iron. I added a CF strip to the vert. stab. to arrest warp that was occurring despite frequent ironing. I also added strips of foam to seal up the large gaps I had made in the control surface horns at the ends of the elev and rudder.

On the pad, alert for clear weather, ready to crash!

Attachments

• 20190116_104030.jpg
    20190116_104030.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20190116_103941.jpg
    20190116_103941.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20190116_104018.jpg
    20190116_104018.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

rmzalbar

Just wanted to report in that the Super Tucano was a hit at the local field! It really flies great.

My Emax 30A ESC is not good enough for that RS2205 F-pack motor on 4S, at least not with a 6-inch prop. I quickly blew one of them up on the first flight, due to having the brake enabled. I replaced with a spare, but even with the brake off the spare overheats and falters/power limits within a minute, even if I leave the canopy off. So I have a 40A ESC on the way. I'm not going down to 3S, because it's too much fun to fly on 4S

Last edited:

rmzalbar

Had a great day at the local field with the Super Tucano.

I'm using the recommended F power pack motor on 4S, but my prop is a GemFan 6x4 bullnose. With the bullnose, it's overpropped for the 30A ESC (burnout!,) and I had to go to 40A.

After my first flight, everyone gathered around it. "it's as fast as my wing!" etc. I was chasing around a spitfire and a P40. Lots of questions about construction and where to find the plans. Really love this plane. It outflies my fledgling abilities for sure. Fortunately no "ground attack" mission executed yet :)

Jeffo

Thank you very much for your feedback! I built a new wing and the part of the fuselage with the cutout for the wing to check it.
It fits perfectly! See for yourself:

View attachment 122130

I cut the wing apart again and think the key is to make sure the wing folds are outside the spars. I marked them with black paint:

View attachment 122131
My wing didn’t fit properly either. Figured I screwed up somewhere, and I’m thinking my folds ended up in the wrong spot. Maybe a diagram/illustration of the second pic on the plans somewhere for us newbies? Otherwise an enjoyable build!