AP Mini Mirage (swappable)

T-Richard

I've been procrastinating the maiden but I can get it filmed if you want. By this weekend I should have it done. Hope it goes well. Smallest plane I've built

T-Richard

Unfortunately did not go well. Camera was dead, and the video would have been terrible. Set up and throws were anemic for my scaled down version. I'll work on mods as it berely flew.

Only advice I can offer is that I threw underhand, holding the fuselage, at about 45 deg and with enthusiasm. Worked well for the launch

FlyingCurry

Can any of you who have built the AP Mini Mirage please post a few photos of how the canopy mounts are fitted to secure the canopy. Many thanks

AircPirateNinsei

airc-pirates.com
Please excuse the late response. I just got back from vacation.

Unfortunately I just borrowed my Mini Mirage so i can´t post a video of launching it, but the advice of T-Richard works well for the launch.

The mounting of the canopy consists of three parts. Glue the part with the number 21 on the fuselage.

Canopy_Mounting_01.JPG

Then glue the C-folded part with the number 22 on the front underside of the canopy.

Canopy_Mounting_02.JPG

Then put the canopy on the nose and fasten it with the BBQ skewer. That's it!

FlyingCurry

Please excuse the late response. I just got back from vacation.

Unfortunately I just borrowed my Mini Mirage so i can´t post a video of launching it, but the advice of T-Richard works well for the launch.

The mounting of the canopy consists of three parts. Glue the part with the number 21 on the fuselage.

View attachment 111912

Then glue the C-folded part with the number 22 on the front underside of the canopy.

View attachment 111914

Then put the canopy on the nose and fasten it with the BBQ skewer. That's it!
Excellent! That explains it. Thanks a million.

FlyingCurry

Well the maiden went ahead in perfect conditions but was not very successful. See the video clips below. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Hmm how do I include MP4 files??!

AircPirateNinsei

airc-pirates.com
Oops! Have you set the zero position of the elevators with part G1 "ELEVON NEUTRAL GAUGE"?

G1.JPG

What is the all up weight of your foamie?
Which electronic components and which battery did you use?

Here is a video of the hand launch:

FlyingCurry

Oops! Have you set the zero position of the elevators with part G1 "ELEVON NEUTRAL GAUGE"?

View attachment 112457

What is the all up weight of your foamie?
Which electronic components and which battery did you use?

Here is a video of the hand launch:

Thanks for positing the hand launch video, I learned a lot from it!

To answer your questions I can confirm that the 4mm up neutral aileron position is correct.
The all up weight on the maiden flight was 498g
Battery 1300 mAh 3S
30 Amp BL Heli ESC
Racestar BR2205 2300kv motor
Dalprop 5.0x4.0 tri-blade prop.

For the remaiden I am going with the following set-up:
All up wieght reduced to 470g
Battery 1000 mAh 3S
30 Amp BL Heli ESC
Racestar BR2205 2300kv motor
Align 6.0x4.0 bi-blade prop.

What are your thoughts on this set-up?

I am unsure why the mass of my Mirage is 71% greater than yours? I have covered mine using sticky back vinyl which would add some weight but not that much. Possibly our foamboard is heavier than the Flite Test foamboard?
My 30 Amp ESC is 10g heavier than a 12 Amp ESC.

AircPirateNinsei

airc-pirates.com
Your foamboard is definitely heavier than the Flite Test foamboard. If I equip my Mirage with a 2205 motor, a 30A ESC and an 850mAh 4s battery I get to 400 g all up weight. I'm going to test this setup. How much does one of your foam board weigh and what are its dimensions?

I think you need more speed and should go on 4s! Your setup makes it possible. I will use the Turnigy Nano-Tech-850mAh 4S 25 ~ 50C Lipo-Pack.

FlyingCurry

Your foamboard is definitely heavier than the Flite Test foamboard. If I equip my Mirage with a 2205 motor, a 30A ESC and an 850mAh 4s battery I get to 400 g all up weight. I'm going to test this setup. How much does one of your foam board weigh and what are its dimensions?

I think you need more speed and should go on 4s! Your setup makes it possible. I will use the Turnigy Nano-Tech-850mAh 4S 25 ~ 50C Lipo-Pack.

Here are our foamboard dimensions and mass:
Length: 1015mm
Width: 812mm
Thickness: 5.25mm
Mass: 408 grams
Mass per Sqm: 495 grams/sqm

AircPirateNinsei

airc-pirates.com
Your foam board is almost twice as heavy as the Flite Test Water-Resistant Foam Board (762 mm x 508 mm | 102g).
So if you can't get the Mirage in the air with 4s, then you should upscale the plan to reduce the wing loading.

FlyingCurry

Your foam board is almost twice as heavy as the Flite Test Water-Resistant Foam Board (762 mm x 508 mm | 102g).
So if you can't get the Mirage in the air with 4s, then you should upscale the plan to reduce the wing loading.

The FT Adams Foamboard weighs 297 grams/sqm which makes the foamboard I use 66% heavier.

The dry weight you quote in the Mirage Specs of 205grams, does that include or exclude the motor, servos and electronics?

AircPirateNinsei

airc-pirates.com
My Flite Test Water-Resistant Foam Board (762 mm x 508 mm | 102g) weighs 263.5 grams per square meter.

The dry weight of 205 grams is the all up weight of the Model without the battery.

AircPirateNinsei

airc-pirates.com
Now I have equipped the Mini Mirage with the following components:
  • 2 x HXT500 Micro Servo 0.8kg / 0.07sec / 6.2g
  • Emax RS2205-2300KV Racing Edition Brushless Motor
  • HobbyKing 30A BlueSeries Brushless Speed Controller
  • 300mm Battery ESC XT60 Plug Extension Wire Cable Male Female
  • Turnigy nano-tech 850mah 4S 25~50C Lipo Pack
  • STORM S603 DSMX receiver
The all up weight is 390g. With a Spektrum AR 400 receiver I would save 5g in weight.
It sounds like a speed demon. Let's see if it flies like that.

FlyingCurry

Now I have equipped the Mini Mirage with the following components:
  • 2 x HXT500 Micro Servo 0.8kg / 0.07sec / 6.2g
  • Emax RS2205-2300KV Racing Edition Brushless Motor
  • HobbyKing 30A BlueSeries Brushless Speed Controller
  • 300mm Battery ESC XT60 Plug Extension Wire Cable Male Female
  • Turnigy nano-tech 850mah 4S 25~50C Lipo Pack
  • STORM S603 DSMX receiver
The all up weight is 390g. With a Spektrum AR 400 receiver I would save 5g in weight.
It sounds like a speed demon. Let's see if it flies like that.
Hi AircPirateNinsei I am delighted to tell you that after waiting many weeks for flying weather I was aible to maiden the Mini - Mirage and it flew fantastically!.
My set-up was as follows:
Racestart 2305 2300kV motor
6x5 propellor
Emax BLHeli 30Amp ESC
800mAh 4S Lipo Pack.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=_y80MnkvvN0