DTFB Grumman Goose

doog_laand

Those would be great. I'm curious, what size motors are you planning to use?

I hope all goes well with the surgery, and have fun with the build.

Allenhat

I am planning on a pair of 1804s that I already have. It will be tight running a 6" propeller but there should be room.

The design was made around the original mini power pack with the 1806 motor and will accept a mini power pod. Currently I am starting out with thrust angles at zero. I will adjust as needed during test flights.

Allenhat

Decided to build up a fuselage with only one side on to start out so I can get some pictures of the internal structure. That and I didn't have a piece of white foam board large enough to cut out the left side.

20160107_111559.jpg

20160107_111548.jpg

20160107_111617.jpg

20160107_111623.jpg

20160107_111639.jpg

20160107_111652.jpg

I would highly recommended building up the keel structure first when building the fuselage.

Also I had to modify the fuse/wing saddle doubler and fuselage former FF from what the plans show. I will revise the plans and repost them soon. It is pretty obvious how they need altered though as you assemble the fuselage.

Allenhat

Thanks to the help of JUSS10 here on the forums I have a laser-cut of my version 2.0 design in the process of being built. Here are some pictures of the wing and nacelle structure. I will try to get more pictures of the airplane posted soon.

IMAG2175.jpg

IMAG2176.jpg

IMAG2177.jpg

IMAG2178.jpg

I have joined the wing halves and assembled the fuselage and empennage so far but just don't have any pictures to share yet.

Allenhat

My background is full scale aviation. I hold a commercial pilot's license and an A&P mechanic's certificat. Along with a degree in Aircraft Maintenance Engineering Tech, (just shy of a BS in Mechanical Engineering). I was basically trained to be the guy that takes the engineer's design and makes it work in the real world. At least we liked to joke about it that way. So I tend to think full scale first, models second. This can cause problems some times though.

Allenhat

Looks like the build is going to hit a stalling point tomorrow. I am having surgery on my right hand on Thursday. It will be in a sling for 2 weeks minimum with a removable cast after that. I really want to get it ready for maiden before my surgery but like GRR Martin missing the deadline to have Winds of Winter out before season 6 of Game of Thrones it is just not meant to be. I have progressed further then the pictures posted thus far and will get a few more taken and posted soon (hopefully). Updated plans and tiled plans will have to wait though unfortunately.

I don't know if any of you who have downloaded the initial set of plane have attempted a build yet. If so will try to answer any questions you have (I should be able to type one/left handed albeit slowly) and try to take pictures of how I put the pieces together thus far. I will also try to explain my intended build order as needed.

I will build vicariously through all of you and the builds you post here on the forums while I am in recovery.

Allen

JUSS10

I like Biplanes
That looks fantastic! I'm excited its going together so well. Hope your recovery goes quick!

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
Looks great! Hope the surgery goes smoothly and the downtime is minimal. Good luck!

Allenhat

2016-02-05 10.42.07.jpg

20160205_170006.jpg

Servos are located and horizontal stabilizer supports have been added. Time to start adding control horns and push rods.

It is slowly coming together. It may actually be ready for first flight before my hand is ready to grip the transmitter. Never would have guessed that a week ago. I rendered it always felt like it took forever do so the final hook ups.

Allenhat

20160208_095435-1.jpg

I decided the Goose needed a bit little color. So sharpies to the rescue.

goose-09.jpg

Here is my inspiration. I just need to repeate it on the other side now.

SharkTeethWizard

Master Of The P-40's
Looks Real Nice! Cant wait to she how she flies! Im building a mini cargo plane myself, i wish i just had the skill you have!

Allenhat

Skill may be misinterpreted here as a friend on the forums was kind enough to hook me up with a laser cut speed build for the latest build. However thank you very much for your kind words.

Allenhat

Just don't look to close at the sharpie lines. I am at about 30% functioning maybe on my right hand so the lines are not very steady.

More pictures soon. Engine cowlings are done now to wrap up the nacelles skins. I am not very proficient with poster board even at 100%. Hence I have been avoiding that step.

Allenhat

The promised pictures.

20160210_152904.jpg

20160210_152935.jpg

I will fly this airframe but I already have changes I wanted to make to it. I will update the plans after this incarnation is completed.