F4U Black Corsair

richb2599

Where is the CG?

Alp, Did you post what the cg is for the corsair? I might have missed it but I didn't see it on the plans anywhere. My corsair is just about ready to maiden. Just need to know where you have the CG located.

Attachments

• corsair2.JPG
    corsair2.JPG
    469.4 KB · Views: 40

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Lies, all lies! That's not foam board. ;)

Just kidding man! AWESOME job on your corsair. Looks like it was bought at a hobby shop. :applause:

richb2599

Thanks Sponz. It was an interesting build. Your plans and Alp's design are fantastic! Even so there is still some shaving and fitting to get the wing right. Not complaining��. I did a cg calculation and came up with 2.95" from the root which falls right on the spar centerline. Does that sound about right to you? How did your corsair turn out? Maiden her yet?

Thanks again, Rich B.

richb2599

Sponz, any suggestions for control surface throws? High rates? Low rates? I'm hoping to maiden her tomorrow if I can get the nerve up.

BTW, I built your Bloody Baron and it is amazing! Much faster than my Bloody Wonder. Must be the modified airfoil. I also am a combat junkie. Fly combat every Friday with 7 or 8 others.

Alp

Alp, Did you post what the cg is for the corsair? I might have missed it but I didn't see it on the plans anywhere. My corsair is just about ready to maiden. Just need to know where you have the CG located.
Wow, realy nice. Congratulations. I was proud when I saw it.
Sorry for late reply. But you right. Cg point is 3" from LE. I can not wait for maiden. Please video...

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Sponz, any suggestions for control surface throws? High rates? Low rates? I'm hoping to maiden her tomorrow if I can get the nerve up.

BTW, I built your Bloody Baron and it is amazing! Much faster than my Bloody Wonder. Must be the modified airfoil. I also am a combat junkie. Fly combat every Friday with 7 or 8 others.

I have not built one yet, to many other projects. My son is building one, he has the fuselage complete so far. So I can't really help you on the throws/settings for it. Good luck with your maiden. Hope you get some video.

Glad you like the Baron. Have you used it in combat?

richb2599

Wow, realy nice. Congratulations. I was proud when I saw it.
Sorry for late reply. But you right. Cg point is 3" from LE. I can not wait for maiden. Please video...

The maiden went well. Takeoff roll was bumpy on the grass/dirt field where I fly but she flew beautifully with absolutely no trim required. Wheel landings were a breeze. For throws I used 12 degrees low rates and 20 degrees high rates which worked well for me. CG was perfect. Only change I will make is try a bigger prop. My motor is rated at 1200g thrust with 12x6 prop. I went with a 10x7 3-blade for looks which seemed under powered. I will work on the maiden video and post it. Thanks again for the terrific design! Next I would like to try one with retracts. If anyone has done that I'd love to see how it was done.

Rich

richb2599

I have not built one yet, to many other projects. My son is building one, he has the fuselage complete so far. So I can't really help you on the throws/settings for it. Good luck with your maiden. Hope you get some video.

Glad you like the Baron. Have you used it in combat?

Haven't used it in combat yet. I'd hate to midair this one. I use my bloody wonder for combat. What a blast that is!

viggen

will a 10x7 prop be big enough to use?

i hope to start building soon.i printed out the plans today.i cant wait

viggen

will a 10x7 prop be big enough to use?

i hope to start building soon.i printed out the plans today.i cant wait

Alp

Good luck for you.
Richb2599 used 10x7 3blade propeller but he wants to change with 12x6. Also i am using 12x6 too. Which will you use the motor?

viggen

i will use a tacon 10 bigfoot or ntm propdrive 35-48 1100kv..i dont really want to use a 3 blade.and use the smallest propeller possible,as it wont have any landing gear.ive got lots of 10x7 props.but they might be to small and not give enough prop wash

what do you use as control rods?
what lenght will be needed?

thanks

Last edited:

richb2599

i will use a tacon 10 bigfoot or ntm propdrive 35-48 1100kv..i dont really want to use a 3 blade.and use the smallest propeller possible,as it wont have any landing gear.ive got lots of 10x7 props.but they might be to small and not give enough prop wash

what do you use as control rods?
what lenght will be needed?

thanks

Viggen, I am currently using a BP Cheetah A2814-8 outrunner (power 10 size) with an APC 13x6.5 prop and 2200 mah 3-cell and 40a esc. So far this has produced the best performance. I would still like to improve the speed but that might take a 4-cell lipo and the battery compartment would be a tight squeeze. Speed might be limited by drag of the airfoil and or the large cowl. It's a beautiful plane and design. I was thinking of trying to make the airfoil more like the original but still with foamboard. I'd also like to try retracts. If anyone has done that I'd love to see how it turned out.

viggen

the ntm 3548 1100kv in the ft slinger on 2200 4s nano 35-70c with apc 10x7 was pulling 70A.it was fast.lol
not sure what size prop to use on 3s.please keep us updated with the differant prop sizes you try

thanks

richb2599

the ntm 3548 1100kv in the ft slinger on 2200 4s nano 35-70c with apc 10x7 was pulling 70A.it was fast.lol
not sure what size prop to use on 3s.please keep us updated with the differant prop sizes you try

thanks

Do you still have the Slinger? Mine died a sudden death. To much torque roll! Was fun while it lasted.

imtedsim

To all the builders of these amazing planes, you say that you used pink foam for the cowl, but how do you get the rounded edges to look so perfect? Is it just sanding or something else?

richb2599

To all the builders of these amazing planes, you say that you used pink foam for the cowl, but how do you get the rounded edges to look so perfect? Is it just sanding or something else?

That's what I did. I cut it out with an xacto then used sand paper to get the final rounded shape. It took some time , but it was worth the effort.

imtedsim

I kept reading these threads and could not figure it out! heheh, I thought it was a vertical belt sander or something, a fixture to press the foam against while turning it. Lathe style. It seemed too smooth to be done by hand. Kudos on the result.