Texan AT6

richb2599

This comment comes from a brand new RC obsessed one, but I have to say, that is a beautiful airplane right there. Can you please tell me a little about the colour and finish on this?

Is it painted or ironed on? Incidentally, is anyone doing iron on finish over foam board?

Thanks for the nice words Peter. The plane was painted with Ace Hardware brand Sunshine Yellow Gloss spray paint. I really like their spray paints. I always treat the dollar tree foam board with minwax oil base polyurethane before painting. I just wipe it on then wipe off the excess with a paper towel before spraying the paint.

Attachments

• yellow paint.jpg
    yellow paint.jpg
    993 KB · Views: 5
Retracts

No, I've never seen anyone do recracts :D

Hi Alp
Thanks for the plans I have also started on the build process. Got an ear full from the misses as i only got to bed at 1:00AM HAHA

I did a Mustang from Flight test with home made retracts which i got the idea from HILDFLYER in the forum he built it for the Spitfire. The Mustang was too nose heavy each time to wanted to take off it would dip the nose. I hand launch it but still land on the retracts. Might be an idea to look at that to see if it could be incorporated into the Corsair and Texan

How did you mount the Power pod on this one. If you have photos on the build it will be fantastic

Thanks for the plans
Edwin

TEXAN

Hi Alp
Thanks for the plans I have also started on the build process. Got an ear full from the misses as i only got to bed at 1:00AM HAHA

I did a Mustang from Flight test with home made retracts which i got the idea from HILDFLYER in the forum he built it for the Spitfire. The Mustang was too nose heavy each time to wanted to take off it would dip the nose. I hand launch it but still land on the retracts. Might be an idea to look at that to see if it could be incorporated into the Corsair and Texan

How did you mount the Power pod on this one. If you have photos on the build it will be fantastic

Thanks for the plans
Edwin
PS: Is the canopy removable where is the battery positioned

Pappy

AT6

Super! My father in-law flew an AT6. In July 1942 he crashed and lost half his left hand. Later became a science teacher...
I'd love to build this next! We have actual crash site pictures from 1942 and are able to see the numbers and details. Good winter project for NY.
Pappy

Pappy

Dihedral measurements

Super! My father in-law flew an AT6. In July 1942 he crashed and lost half his left hand. Later became a science teacher...
I'd love to build this next! We have actual crash site pictures from 1942 and are able to see the numbers and details. Good winter project for NY.
Pappy

Hi Alp, Thank you very much for the plans. Fuselage is complete! Lots of fun. Could you pass along the dihedral measurements? If middle wing is flat, how high should the wing tips be off the table?

Pappy

Alp

Hi Alp, Thank you very much for the plans. Fuselage is complete! Lots of fun. Could you pass along the dihedral measurements? If middle wing is flat, how high should the wing tips be off the table?

Pappy

You welcome. Here is dihedral measurements but do not care it is not very important :)
Dihedral.jpg

Corsair and Texan ready for Maiden

IMG_4489.JPG
Texan AT6:
Wingspan: 1200mm
Lenght: 875mm
Weight: 810gr without battery
Motor: Tgy d2836-1100
Propeller: 10x5
Battery: 3s2200
Material: foamboard and coated paper or poster board. (plan for 70x100cm foamboard)

Maiden video:

Pictures:
View attachment 40284 View attachment 40285 View attachment 40286 View attachment 40287 View attachment 40288 View attachment 40289 View attachment 40290 View attachment 40291

View attachment 43659 (tiled/edited by SP0NZ)

View attachment 40295
View attachment 40292
View attachment 40689 (minor changed: power pod dimensions.)
View attachment 40294

Pappy

Thanks again for your help with dihedral . I was going to adjust low and high rate throws as with my FT Mustang??
Any better thoughts on this bigger plane?
Pappy
image.jpeg u

Ltngstrike

I'm new to FT and just found this thread, great job Alp! I'm just starting to build from FT kits but this bird is on top of my list for a scratch build.

My Father was an AT6F crew chief during the Korean War. He was assigned to the 6147 TCG at K47, Chunchon, ROK. Here's a picture of my Dad standing at the nose of his aircraft "LTA-291":

DadsPicture.jpg

I bet you can't guess the paint scheme when I DO build this aircraft?!

Keep up the awesome work Alp!

ipeifer

Scratch Build AT6 Texan

Thanks Alp,
here is my AT6 Texan Scratch Build, all dollar store foam board, including the skin (original was skinned in poster board).
As per my 9 yr old daughter (she saw me add R2D2 as a co-pilot) and suggested putting Luke Skywalker in as a Pilot.
So I went with the Star Wars theme , and added only Star Wars Rebel Forces Decals.

maiden flight to follow when the weather breaks,

Motor/ servos/ linkage/ and Pilot all came from a crashed "Parkzone Sukhoi su 29mm"

1250 kv brushless
40a esc
11x5.5 apc prop
48" wingspan
38" tip to tail (including spinner)
3s 2200mah 25c lipo
Weighs 1364 Grams without battery

designed by M.Baris Alp

Last edited:

ipeifer

Maiden Flight

Thanks so much for the plans Alp Barris she flies great ,
and the poster board covered foam board is supper strong, as you can see in the video at the 2:22 mark I skidded the wing off of the park bench and have no damage.