Failed builds, Bad Crashes....Post Pics

Aikon1977

Crashes? There were lots of them...

Here is an example of what can happen to a heli if you don't care enough about your antenna (thought it was enough distance between tail rotor and antenna):

IMG00100-20101006-1302.jpg IMG00103-20101006-1302.jpg IMG00104-20101006-1302.jpg

...but that was a great chance to rebuild it and now it flies very well (but without the 35mHz antenna and the brushed motor ;-) )

Gregor

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Lawn Dart

Testing a new wing design for a friend. High G loops and full speed dives with last second pullouts trying to induce some wing flex.
If you decide to do this kind of thing, don't trust just two rubberbands to hold the wing in place. Wish I had captured this one on video :)

Awesome thing is I was able to straighten the motor mount, put on a new prop and extreme tape the joiner section by the tail and continue testing and fly out serveral battey packs :)

DSC04544.jpg DSC04542.jpg

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Prop savers are good but they're not 100% foolproof. I've never gone through so many props as I have this year (Funbat was not as fun as was hoped). My currently build underway is a wing which should be a little more forgiving. We'll see.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Prop savers are good but they're not 100% foolproof. I've never gone through so many props as I have this year (Funbat was not as fun as was hoped). My currently build underway is a wing which should be a little more forgiving. We'll see.

Combine a Bixler (must be inverted flying backwards to break the prop according to Josh Scott) with a prop saver and you have a 100% foolproof propeller.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Combine a Bixler (must be inverted flying backwards to break the prop according to Josh Scott) with a prop saver and you have a 100% foolproof propeller.

I don't know if anything is foolproof. Every time we think we've made something foolproof, nature provides us with better fools.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Before, CMP 63" PT-19.

IMG_0997.jpg

After:

IMG_1064.jpg IMG_1065.jpg IMG_1066.jpg IMG_1067.jpg

This is what happens when you snap roll a PT-19. It went into a death spiral after the third snap roll and I was too low to recover.

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
Ouch, that must be painful.

I can´t imagine how much I would freak out, if I´d break a basla model.

You know, foam is easily repairable and if not its rebuildable out of depron. So you can crash of you want to (I don´t recommend it though ;D)

But repairing balsa models is soooooooooooo expensive and time taking! I´ve never flown a full balsa model before but I know that if I want to get one I need to get better at my flying skills, otherwise its just not worth the money.

Are you going to rebuild/rebuy it?

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
Will this picture fit into the crash category?
DSC_0379_7.JPG

Or must it be a total disintegration?
090717-02.JPG

This one is an "almost" - only resulting in a broken prop.
080718-03c.JPG

Last edited:

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Started like this:

6f164706.jpg

Ended up like this:

5aa05e6d.jpg

I flew it right between me and the sun and by the time I could see again it was headed straight down at full throttle. Amazingly, the main wings were 100% unharmed...