foamboard Dornier Libelle simple seaplane

Arcfyre

Elite member
Cool, so your coming to Germany! I live there!
If you are in Munich, you NEED to visit the "Flugwerft Schleißheim", a Museum with some awesome planes, for example the only X-31 in the world, Horten flying wing, Messerschmitt Me 262, some VTOLs, Eurofighter prototype! Also, Nearby is the Bodensee, where Dornier once build planes like the Libelle, which is also worth a visit.

Wir fahren morgen nach Oberschleißheim ins Museum. Anscheinend gibt es dort eine Do 24. Die werde ich mir sehr vorsichtig angucken, weil ich immer noch vor habe die Libelle von ihnen zu bauen.

Arcfyre

Elite member
So we went to the museum in Oberschleißheim, per the advice of @Dr. Looping Looie. When I looked it up online, it said they had a Do 24 on static display, which is the 3 engined big brother to the Libelle. The Do 24 is approximately similar in size and role to the PBY Catalina. As I'm checking out the impressive Do 24, look what catches my eye hanging from the ceiling!

20190307_104808.jpg
20190307_104813.jpg
20190307_111538.jpg
20190307_113444.jpg

20190307_110802.jpg

A real Libelle, probably the only one left in existence! I'm more motivated than ever now to build this when I get home. So cool to see one in real life.

Dr. Looping Looie

Elite member
So we went to the museum in Oberschleißheim, per the advice of @Dr. Looping Looie. When I looked it up online, it said they had a Do 24 on static display, which is the 3 engined big brother to the Libelle. The Do 24 is approximately similar in size and role to the PBY Catalina. As I'm checking out the impressive Do 24, look what catches my eye hanging from the ceiling!

View attachment 125879 View attachment 125880 View attachment 125881 View attachment 125882
View attachment 125883
A real Libelle, probably the only one left in existence! I'm more motivated than ever now to build this when I get home. So cool to see one in real life.
Thats amazing!
You saw one in real life, so tell me how it compares to my model!

Also, what was your favorite plane in the museum?

Arcfyre

Elite member
In a word, it looks like you nailed it. It's a very graceful airplane, and your model does it justice. I'm excited to build one when I get home.

I'd say your next design project should be the big brother, the Do 24. Probably wouldn't be too difficult to upscale the Libelle drawings and add a few more motors.

Dr. Looping Looie

Elite member
@Arcfyre Totally agree with that!
I dont think Im going to do the Do 24 in the near future, its a beautiful airplane, but especially the tail would be hard to make. BUT im planning to do a He 111 and a Messerschmitt Me 262 soon! As well as a Bf-109 E, which was also in the museum (I think it was a B, but they Look nearly the same).

Yawnsky24

@Dr. Looping Looie I used a motor similar to this one https://www.headsuphobby.com/Power-Up-300-Speed-1400kv-Outrunner-Brushless-Motor_p_2294.html with a 7x3.5 GWS prop. The actual motor I used is from an old EPP foam combat wing and the motor itself has no writing at all on it. Battery was a 3S 650Mah (all the way forward) and 5 gram servos.
The new model I built has a 24Gram 1500KV Blue Wonder motor with a 6x4 Slo Fly prop. It has 4 5gram servos and will use the same 3S 650Mah battery. I have not yet been able to fly with the aileron mod but both of them now have the ailerons. The plane flies so well on 3 channel I can't wait to fly it with the aileron setup.

Not sure if you heard my buddies on the video but I have cut out 3 additional models for them as they could not ask fast enough to have one!

BTW, I also saw the article on both the Libelle and the modified Mini Speedster so you know what I am going to do next!! ALready cut the second wing for my Mini Speedster. I will get pics up as soon as I finish this weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_0546.jpg
    IMG_0546.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0547.jpg
    IMG_0547.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0548.jpg
    IMG_0548.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 0

Dr. Looping Looie

Elite member
I fixed the issue with the bottom plate, and now I think they are final.
@Yawnsky24 depending on your experience with the ailerons, i might add them as optional cuts. For me, 3ch works perfect, but only with one motor prop como. So it might help those who dont have the right electronics.
@Brett_N make sure to use the new UPDATED v3 plans. The change was only the bottom tail part.

Attachments

• DornierLibelle1v3.pdf
    628.1 KB · Views: 0
  • DornierLibelle2v3.pdf
    458.6 KB · Views: 0

Brett_N

lucky timing - I checked just as I was about to walk out of the office, so I was able to print another set :)

I'll see how it flies on 3 Channel with a cheap-o 2212 / 30A setup (Amazon special.) If it needs ailerons, that's an easy fix. May be as easy as just lengthening the right wing an extra inch to offset the motor torque.

Yawnsky24

@Dr. Looping Looie , @Brett_N , you will not be disappointed with the 3 channel. It flew beautifully but there are some throttle settings under which the rudder loses effectiveness. Does not make it a bad flyer at all, you just have to adjust when it occurs. I am anxious to try the ailerons and have 2 setups with ailerons to try out. If it flies well with the ailerons then I'll share the size that works best for me as I have 2 different aileron sizes on the 2 models. If it does not change significantly, I will just glue the ailerons and remove the extra servos. I have a trip tomorrow but if there is a break in the weather on Sunday I will try to get out and do some testing.

In either case, this plane stays on the flight list. It is a beautiful thing to see in the air. A great deign that looks awesome in the sky!