from foamboard to 3D print EDF Jet!

Dr. Looping Looie

Elite member
Great - thank you. One last question - what control throws are you using? I'll start this next week - looks a quick build!
I use maximum throw possible, especiallialy on the elevator thats great fun. 30-40% Expo is recommendet. I think 35 degree on ailerons and 45 degree on elevator is good.

Dr. Looping Looie

Elite member
Its currently printing everything out, and I can already tell that it is not a finished product yet. A lot of work still needs to be done to make the assembly process easy etc. It weighs a lot more than I thought, and I dont know if 50mm is enougth. Time will tell.

Also, if anyone has a larger EDF unit, it would be really cool if someone could install it in the foam version to test how it goes. There is plenty of space available to fit it in there.

The Fopster

Master member
OK. I'm up and running. Seems bigger than I imagined. Here we go...

IMG_20210401_194315295.jpg

GrizWiz

Elite member
It all startet half a Year ago when I wanted to scratch build a new EDF jet. My FMS 50mm unit went through 4 different planes before, but they all lacked something. They didnt flew well enough. I wanted something that was both fast and slow, but light enough to climb vertical. I began picturing something in my head. I really like the twin boom jets like the Xcalivur or the Bobcat. Twin boom is my favorite layout, because of its large tail surfaces, it offers great stability, it tracks like it's on rails and at slow speeds it gives the plane very gentle characteristics. It should also have a high sweep wing wing with strakes to make it not stall. And most important, it should look good.

I made a quick drawing, which looked phantastic, so I immediately started building by measuring and scaling up the drawing. And just two hours later, the Foamboard was transformed into this:
View attachment 196277
View attachment 196278

Right after the maiden, it was clear that this was my favorite Jet I ever had. It was speedy, but if you pull the elevator, it becomes a completely different beast. You can do super tight loops, almost like flips, and cobra maneuvers. Thanks to its aerodynamic design its impossible to stall, and if you slow it down, it enters an extremely stable state. It can also do vertical climbouts, which makes it a very fun, capable, yet easy to fly EDF jet.
I also added some LEDs to turn it into an all weather night flyer, and it was even used to celebrate new year at 20mph wind.

Specs:
Wingspan: 80cm
Length: 120cm
Flying weight: 700 gramms
Power: 50mm EDF with 4S 2200 LiPo

Flight Video:

Now I think this is like the perfect plane of its kind, and if you like it, I'll do some plans for you to build your own.

Now that I got my 3D printer, I want to step the game up a bit and go beyond the limitations if foam. I will convert the whole thing into a 3D printable version, and improve the aerodynamics along the way. With carefully selected wing profiles, circular fuselage and optimized air intakes, it will be sleeker, faster and more precise than the foam version, but it will also be heavier from the PLA.
I already started modeling it in CAD, and it already consumed multiple days if work, and a lot still needs to be done, especially the inner structure.
Heres a little sneak peek:
View attachment 196282
View attachment 196281

Tell me what you think and if you would build one out of foam, if enough are interested, Ill draw some plans.

Greetings,
Tristan Emde
Have you got plans for the BF-110 and F-14 in the background they both look awesome?

Dr. Looping Looie

Elite member
Have you got plans for the BF-110 and F-14 in the background they both look awesome?
Sadly, no. The BF 110 is actually a twin engine BF 109, it's a design with lots of potential, however it doesn't have priority right now. But it's not that hard to recreate, there are lots of 109s out there.
The Tomcat was sadly a fail, it's only half the plane, this is how it looked complete:

IMG_20200708_212331.jpg

IMG_20200708_212419.jpg

It was not controllable. But again, other plans for F14s in this size already exist, even with variable geometry wing.

Pieliker96

Elite member
Sadly, no. The BF 110 is actually a twin engine BF 109, it's a design with lots of potential, however it doesn't have priority right now. But it's not that hard to recreate, there are lots of 109s out there.
The Tomcat was sadly a fail, it's only half the plane, this is how it looked complete:

View attachment 196712
View attachment 196713

It was not controllable. But again, other plans for F14s in this size already exist, even with variable geometry wing.
Very clever. 10/10 reference

The Fopster

Master member
Started the build and so far so good. May have spotted an issue on the plans? Fuselage isn't square - the sides are taller than it is wide, so the square formers to mount the EDF don't fit. I just sliced the top off so no big deal. I also lengthened the thrust tube to increase the exit velocity - I can always trim it later if it doesn't work.
IMG_20210402_160229709.jpg
IMG_20210402_164518282.jpg
IMG_20210402_175856097.jpg
IMG_20210402_160308255.jpg
Wings tomorrow...

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Started the build and so far so good. May have spotted an issue on the plans? Fuselage isn't square - the sides are taller than it is wide, so the square formers to mount the EDF don't fit. I just sliced the top off so no big deal. I also lengthened the thrust tube to increase the exit velocity - I can always trim it later if it doesn't work. View attachment 196764 View attachment 196765 View attachment 196766 View attachment 196767 Wings tomorrow...
Great work!