FT-22... On Steroids

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Got to maiden the now fixed 22. Awesome flight on that Hot Rod, 2 packs, 0 crashes. the ESC cut out on me twice and it glided so nice, did a quick reset on the throttle stick and off she went again. Ran the 8x8 prop and it performed really well, might be the top end prop for that ESC amps wise, not sure but it was fun. Realized when I got home that I was so eager to take it out that I didn't set rates or expos so it was a bit touchy in flight. Default settings are 100/75 on the rates and 0% expo, dialed it in to 120/70 and 30% expo... more manageable for INVERTS BABY... 3 mistakes high first lol.

Over all it was fun and fast, and I may shelve the BB for a bit and use this plane as my go to. It does have onboard cam mounts and I will be doing some filming from a head cam at some point. I will say this is a great step forward, 3 times a charm

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Got to maiden the now fixed 22. Awesome flight on that Hot Rod, 2 packs, 0 crashes. the ESC cut out on me twice and it glided so nice, did a quick reset on the throttle stick and off she went again. Ran the 8x8 prop and it performed really well, might be the top end prop for that ESC amps wise, not sure but it was fun. Realized when I got home that I was so eager to take it out that I didn't set rates or expos so it was a bit touchy in flight. Default settings are 100/75 on the rates and 0% expo, dialed it in to 120/70 and 30% expo... more manageable for INVERTS BABY... 3 mistakes high first lol.

Over all it was fun and fast, and I may shelve the BB for a bit and use this plane as my go to. It does have onboard cam mounts and I will be doing some filming from a head cam at some point. I will say this is a great step forward, 3 times a charm
Great!!! I need to rebuild my whole nose to accommodate my swappable power pod...

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I remember this little project you resurrected awhile ago. Then didn't hear anymore on it. Good luck on the maiden, may it stay aloft and have soft landings (y):cool:(y)
Yeah - had a sudden inspiration! Not like I needed more projects, but this one should be a fun project

Tonero311

Got some quick aerial vid of the FT-22. You will see some quality invert if you watch closely
Nice flying. It's different from an elevated position. My area I fly from the top of a steep hill. Makes me feel a little safer too, I can see everything around the field and if anyone steps onto it I can land immediately. Downside though, wind can be funky/fun/tricky depending on the model and how strong its blowing. Walk of shame is longer too😂🤣.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Yea buddy flew his done from my driveway, it has a 20 minute battery life and has a range of like 5km's. He flies FPV off his phone. sometimes he will be with me flying at the field. I will be done my 2 packs, we both get in the car and drive back home and he will land back in the driveway, flying while in the car. Crazy to watch. It has a tracking feature where you can lock it in on a moving object like a car or pedestrians and it will follow on it's own. Once the battery goes down enough it will automatically come back to it's take off point judging it's own distance from home. It will do up to 60kph so it can't chase the planes and keep up close. So he just sets it to pedestal from a height over me and just the camera will follow me. That vid I just posted he did that but from to high up, he can do it closer.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Yea buddy flew his done from my driveway, it has a 20 minute battery life and has a range of like 5km's. He flies FPV off his phone. sometimes he will be with me flying at the field. I will be done my 2 packs, we both get in the car and drive back home and he will land back in the driveway, flying while in the car. Crazy to watch. It has a tracking feature where you can lock it in on a moving object like a car or pedestrians and it will follow on it's own. Once the battery goes down enough it will automatically come back to it's take off point judging it's own distance from home. It will do up to 60kph so it can't chase the planes and keep up close. So he just sets it to pedestal from a height over me and just the camera will follow me. That vid I just posted he did that but from to high up, he can do it closer.
such awesome technology...

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Nice flying. It's different from an elevated position. My area I fly from the top of a steep hill. Makes me feel a little safer too, I can see everything around the field and if anyone steps onto it I can land immediately. Downside though, wind can be funky/fun/tricky depending on the model and how strong its blowing. Walk of shame is longer too😂🤣.
At least from a hill top you can see it when it goes down and you aren't searching for it. Makes the walk of shame less frustrating. Been there a few times.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
even with my specs on I only saw a dot moving like a missile! :D
It's funny too, I will run one pack through, you can feel when it gets weak, put a new pack in and it's like it got a shot of adrenaline compared to the end of the last pack. Love this hobby man. So much fun. I can't wait to fly this Sportster now that @Sero talked his up. My daughter will be here this weekend to watch me maiden it on Saturday so I am pretty excited, first time she has seen me fly in person. :eek::D

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
It's funny too, I will run one pack through, you can feel when it gets weak, put a new pack in and it's like it got a shot of adrenaline compared to the end of the last pack. Love this hobby man. So much fun. I can't wait to fly this Sportster now that @Sero talked his up. My daughter will be here this weekend to watch me maiden it on Saturday so I am pretty excited, first time she has seen me fly in person. :eek::D
She gonna video for you?

Tonero311

I should get her to, I am kinda nervous about putting her in the publics eye on YouTube though, I don't know why but maybe that's weird of me to feel that way, hard to say

Not weird at all. Just natural protective instincts of a father. I'm the same with photos and videos with my children too.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Know how you feel. If she has the camera though, it won’t be filming her, right?
Very true. It's a maiden thought so I might do the hat cam. I might get her to film something with the 22.

Speaking of the 22 I might want to do a V3, make some changes to the nose, seems like a real weak spot. I am really enjoying the plane though, like you said I might have fun with it, you weren't wrong