FT MS ME-262

Baron VonHelton

Elite member
Painted today. I like the stickers included in the kit; it saves a little $$$ from having to order decals from Callie. Lots of other extra in the kit as well (extra pushrods, control horns, plastic firewalls, etc).

As usual, its an Overstreet masterpiece. I didn't deviate much from the plans except to add a few magnets to the battery hatch instead of the skewers called for in the plans.

I'm a little worried about the wing attachment, as it was hot today when I was painting and the glue loosened up a bit. Its a really big wing. Strong enough bond? Only one way to find out, right?

Once my little launch cart shows up from Walmart (hat tip to CappyAmeric) I'll take it up and see what she can do.

Thanks, FliteTest.

Beautiful paint!

(y)

CrshNBrn

Elite member
A bit of a rough Me-262 flying day.

Couldn't get it to lift off my launch dolly at first and wound up bashing the nose in (that's my "maiden video" below). A quick rebuild with some spare foam and tried again. Again, couldn't get any lift off my dolly and smushed the nose in again. Getting irked, I then used all of my field tape to quickly patch it up, then tried to hand launch it instead. What's the worst that could happen? Full throttle, hard as throw as possible, and it flew...for about 3 seconds. It then proceeded to drop the right wing and nosed over to attack the ground from about 100 feet up. Dunno if it stalled or just poor jet piloting skills, but there wasn't much left salvaging. Bummer.

Build, fly, crash, repeat.

Attachments

• 20210911_144625.jpg
    20210911_144625.jpg
    724 KB · Views: 0

CappyAmeric

Elite member
The pressure to keep accelerating the dolly keeps the craft stuck to it - try this: when you are ready to life off, back off the throttle a bit and then push it back up as you pull back on the elevator stick.

CappyAmeric

Elite member

Couldn't get it to lift off my launch dolly at first and wound up bashing the nose in (that's my "maiden video" below). A quick rebuild with some spare foam and tried again. Again, couldn't get any lift off my dolly and smushed the nose in again. Getting irked, I then used all of my field tape to quickly patch it up, then tried to hand launch it instead. What's the worst that could happen? Full throttle, hard as throw as possible, and it flew...for about 3 seconds. It then proceeded to drop the right wing and nosed over to attack the ground from about 100 feet up. Dunno if it stalled or just poor jet piloting skills, but there wasn't much left salvaging. Bummer.

Do you have differential thrust setup? I wonder if one motor is producing more thrust than the other causing it to yaw and roll to the right.

CrshNBrn

Elite member
Do you have differential thrust setup? I wonder if one motor is producing more thrust than the other causing it to yaw and roll to the right.

Yup, so that's a definite possibility. I thought the differential thrust on the two edfs was fairly balanced because the little cart would roll fairly straight during taxi texts, but I never got it in the air long enough to adjust the trim to really get it dialed in. I'll build another one someday and see if the second version flies better. The next one may need to incorporate a detachable wing (it's really big to fit in the back of my SUV) and a focus on building it light.

By the way, thanks for the support and encouragement. I was a little pissy this afternoon, but it's all about learning, right? It's been a while since I've lived up to my CrshNBurn moniker.

Baron VonHelton

Elite member

Great Scott....!!! What did you hit? A freight train??

:eek:

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor

Oh no, that hurts to see! I’m so sorrry!

CrshNBrn

Elite member
It begins again...

#2 will hopefully feature a few improvements (fingers crossed):
  • less hot glue and more white gorilla glue to save weight
  • detachable wing (simple rubber bands-around-the-wing method) for transport & storage
  • bbq skewer reinforced vertical stabilizer
  • add a rudder
Lets see how this one turns out!

Attachments

• 20210917_154525.jpg
    20210917_154525.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210917_181615.jpg
    20210917_181615.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

CrshNBrn

Elite member
I'm becoming a fan of the white gorilla glue, especially in structural parts that are hidden. Weights and tape come in handy. I'm learning to use the hot glue gun sparingly to tack parts together while the GG does its foamy thing. Saves a ton of weight though.

Attachments

• 20210917_223056.jpg
    20210917_223056.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I'm becoming a fan of the white gorilla glue, especially in structural parts that are hidden. Weights and tape come in handy. I'm learning to use the hot glue gun sparingly to tack parts together while the GG does its foamy thing. Saves a ton of weight though.
I’m a huge fan of the white gorilla glue too, It’s come in handy so many times for different applications.