FT MS ME-262

CrshNBrn

Elite member
Okay, lots of fun with #2 so far....

On her maiden flight yesterday I had the the rates turned down WAY too low (i.e. aileron at 60%, elevator at 50%). Mistake. After a nice hand launch where she tracked out true and straight, I had a beast of a time turning it around only to see it gradually descend into the ground at a high rate of speed while I'm pulling the elevator stick back with everything I had. Verdict? Nose heavy with no elevator control. Fortunately, the only things that really shattered were the engine pods.

After a quick rebuild last night using the smushed pieces as templates, I enlisted my kid to help and went back again this afternoon . As you'll see in the video (apologies for the poor quality), takeoff was a little sketchier- its hard to hand launch it. It flew best at 80% aileron, elevator at 85%, and rudder at 100%. I still crashed on landing, but nothing too serious. Keep the speed up on landing and you'll do better than I. I also want to strengthen the horizontal stabilizer, as it had too much wiggle in the air. It looks crooked in the video.

I'd like to emphasize how cool this thing looks in the air. Its so big! It's also my first edf and it flies a little differently than a prop plane, but has been a great learning experience. Definitely "working on it."

CappyAmeric

Elite member

On her maiden flight yesterday I had the the rates turned down WAY too low (i.e. aileron at 60%, elevator at 50%). Mistake. After a nice hand launch where she tracked out true and straight, I had a beast of a time turning it around only to see it gradually descend into the ground at a high rate of speed while I'm pulling the elevator stick back with everything I had. Verdict? Nose heavy with no elevator control. Fortunately, the only things that really shattered were the engine pods.

After a quick rebuild last night using the smushed pieces as templates, I enlisted my kid to help and went back again this afternoon . As you'll see in the video (apologies for the poor quality), takeoff was a little sketchier- its hard to hand launch it. It flew best at 80% aileron, elevator at 85%, and rudder at 100%. I still crashed on landing, but nothing too serious. Keep the speed up on landing and you'll do better than I. I also want to strengthen the horizontal stabilizer, as it had too much wiggle in the air. It looks crooked in the video.

I'd like to emphasize how cool this thing looks in the air. Its so big! It's also my first edf and it flies a little differently than a prop plane, but has been a great learning experience. Definitely "working on it."

Sweet! At launch it looked like it was about to do the famous B737 pitch up, then dirt dive (underslung motors), but as soon as it got good airflow over the elevator you corrected and it looked like it flew great from there.

Belly landers that need speed are always going to be sketchy figuring out slow enough, but not stalling.

Nice job - thanks for sharing.

CrshNBrn

Elite member
The next step is to try out your dolly again, Cappy. This plane would look great taking off and landing- I see why folks would want to put gear on it, but I'd worry about the extra weight. Fixed gear ruins the look of the warbird in flight, imho.

foamboardflyer

The next step is to try out your dolly again, Cappy. This plane would look great taking off and landing- I see why folks would want to put gear on it, but I'd worry about the extra weight. Fixed gear ruins the look of the warbird in flight, imho.
Thank you for making this thread. I got a 262 at Flite Fest and this thread will help a lot for my build.

CrshNBrn

Elite member
#2 bites the dust. I missed the hand launch on the video, but a couple of folks said that the toss was angled too high. It never had a chance. Build, fly, crash, repeat.

On to #3!

CrshNBrn

Elite member
You folks are funny! Let me know how it flies with the twin props...and how you launch it. Will you be adding landing gear? One of my concerns with the props was how to hand launch it.

Baron VonHelton

Elite member

Seems like EVERY landing will rip the engines off, since you don't have any landing gear. You'll hafta have someone catch it in mid air, or land in VERY tall, stiff grass.

:unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

CrshNBrn

Elite member
The engine pods are definitely a weak spot. I was considering reinforcing them with thin balsa or plywood for #3. Of course, landing decently would help.

Baron VonHelton

Elite member
The engine pods are definitely a weak spot. I was considering reinforcing them with thin balsa or plywood for #3. Of course, landing decently would help.

This is why I've waited on buying or building WW2 aircraft..........No landing gear. And, each plane seems to have it's own unique landing gear. I can only build a Stuka, but I like the Stuka so it's ok. I may even figure out how to get the "Trumpets of Jericho" to work.

:cool:

CrshNBrn

Elite member

Attachments

• 20210707_174914 (1).jpg
    20210707_174914 (1).jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0