FTFC20 - Build-Ruary (Build Challenge)

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Not much building time lately... I have my Kitfox almost done so I’m hoping to finish my paint job this weekend and then maiden it on Monday. I’m really pleased with where the kitfox is at though. The rimfire motor looks great in it too.
A876E61A-E307-4C22-9DC2-56B5DD072647.jpeg
FCAA5251-E192-4B35-A352-1C09C53D4CE7.jpeg

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Finished building James Whomsley's Mighty Mini Vampire (updates will be posted on my build page this weekend). It came in at 260 grams with 1806 motor, 3 9g servos, and a 20a ESC. I want to build the Mini Argus as light as possible, what's the best glue to keep the weight down? I'm considering building the AP Sperber or Mach1 MM Hurricane next. Does anyone have experience with either of these? @mayan did you maiden your Hurricane yet? @Grifflyer I saw you mention the Sperber a while ago, did you ever build one?
I honestly don't remember, I know I cut out the plans for the sperber and I had a 4ch glider at around the same time, but I don't remember if it was the sperber or a 4ch tiny trainer...either way whichever plane it was I do know it was a lot of fun.

herbertjalarcon

Elite member
Ok...here is the official entry for build #3...the tri-plane was of moderate success...so I built a Fokker DR1 from my own design, but borrowed shapes from FT mini...it's pretty rough, but it's a prototype...it will look better with paint... 40"top wing...30" middle and bottom wings... overhanging ailerons on top wing only...hope to maiden her on my break today or tomorrow morning...
And here is the maiden flight...

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
The MS Spitfire JUST released... I think I might build the original and the new...
@herbertjalarcon - Of course, I have YET to do a build on my list. I'm 3 in. (stupid inspirations.:devilish:) Just let me/us know. Nice on the Maiden Flight
Build, Fly (it's what it's about here) - Crash on your own time. :D

Vimana89

Legendary member
And here is the maiden flight...
I see DR1, I hit like. Not to mention yours is larger, custom designed, and blue👍. Awesome flight, erring on the side of a little nose heavy is smart, and an easy fix with such a plane, the FT mini(which I have) has a tendency to balloon and be tail heavy without sufficient trim and CG. I can high alpha the FT mini all day like it's a Nutball or delta, not sure you'd be able to with a larger one, but not sure you wouldn't...

herbertjalarcon

Elite member
I see DR1, I hit like. Not to mention yours is larger, custom designed, and blue👍. Awesome flight, erring on the side of a little nose heavy is smart, and an easy fix with such a plane, the FT mini(which I have) has a tendency to balloon and be tail heavy without sufficient trim and CG. I can high alpha the FT mini all day like it's a Nutball or delta, not sure you'd be able to with a larger one, but not sure you wouldn't...
I built a mini to give to a club member...he loves it, as he loves doing 3d stuff...that little 3ch plane is all sorts of fun! Yeah, I went with as scale as I could, and she is a bit fast...super agile, but only slows down so much...

Vimana89

Legendary member
I built a mini to give to a club member...he loves it, as he loves doing 3d stuff...that little 3ch plane is all sorts of fun! Yeah, I went with as scale as I could, and she is a bit fast...super agile, but only slows down so much...
Agile and responsive, even a bit twitchy is normal, but only slows down so much? Should fly well at low speeds, maybe a different prop if that isn't the case?

herbertjalarcon

Elite member
Agile and responsive, even a bit twitchy is normal, but only slows down so much? Should fly well at low speeds, maybe a different prop if that isn't the case?
Don't get me wrong...she flies well at lower speed, but it has a park 15 motor with a 40 amp ESC and a 4s battery...it's just kind of a hot rod...and the nose heavy thing doesn't help...tomorrow should be better...think I have the CG nailed...

mayan

Legendary member
You are right @Vimana89 - Thanks for the Hexy Compliment and the good work on the Tandem Wing Plane

@mayan, I would like to recind my title of Building Fool, and pass it to you - hat's off to you my friend. (maybe we just form a building - fool club.
What would membership requirements be like. :unsure: I think everyone here is aiming for club membership!

@Hondo76251 - is the OCD your plane, or does it extend to seeing others' planes? (I should show you the inside of the Spruce Gosling then. Good work and luck with the Sea Duck.
Thanks buddy!
Finished building James Whomsley's Mighty Mini Vampire (updates will be posted on my build page this weekend). It came in at 260 grams with 1806 motor, 3 9g servos, and a 20a ESC. I want to build the Mini Argus as light as possible, what's the best glue to keep the weight down? I'm considering building the AP Sperber or Mach1 MM Hurricane next. Does anyone have experience with either of these? @mayan did you maiden your Hurricane yet? @Grifflyer I saw you mention the Sperber a while ago, did you ever build one?
Yeah I did will post about it later today now that I have a few more maidens in.

Don't get me wrong...she flies well at lower speed, but it has a park 15 motor with a 40 amp ESC and a 4s battery...it's just kind of a hot rod...and the nose heavy thing doesn't help...tomorrow should be better...think I have the CG nailed...
Good luck!

Vimana89

Legendary member
Been busy the last few days, but have been working on the Vector kit a bit at a time here and there. Tomorrow after work I'll do electronics/linkages and assembly. My biggest mistake was closing the fuselage before electronics, but it will be easy to work around either by dropping cables and parts through or making a small cut or two somewhere.

Attachments

• IMG_1431.JPG
    IMG_1431.JPG
    1,006.7 KB · Views: 1