Arcfyre

Elite member
Nothing else really comes to mind why your TT would be underpowered. Usually a bad solder joint would prevent the motor from turning at all. You wouldn't really experience a loss of power.

The aileron wing is a little bit heavier and provides a little bit less lift than the glider wing but it shouldn't make that much of a difference. You might try the 3S battery on your TT. Should increase performance significantly.

mayan

Legendary member
Nothing else really comes to mind why your TT would be underpowered. Usually a bad solder joint would prevent the motor from turning at all. You wouldn't really experience a loss of power.

The aileron wing is a little bit heavier and provides a little bit less lift than the glider wing but it shouldn't make that much of a difference. You might try the 3S battery on your TT. Should increase performance significantly.

I can't really explain it but the motor didn't sound as fast turning as the other TT motor did. I'll post the videos soon and it might be more clear to see what I mean.

Last edited:

Arcfyre

Elite member
In that case you may need to calibrate your new speed controller. Normal procedure for this is:

1. Remove prop
2. Power on TX, move throttle stick to full power position.
3. Power on aircraft, wait for 2 beeps (actual tone varies- will be different from normal beeps)
4. Move throttle stick to lowest position, wait for another set of beeps (varies)
5. Power off aircraft and restart normally with throttle stick at minimum.

mayan

Legendary member
In that case you may need to calibrate your new speed controller. Normal procedure for this is:

1. Remove prop
2. Power on TX, move throttle stick to full power position.
3. Power on aircraft, wait for 2 beeps (actual tone varies- will be different from normal beeps)
4. Move throttle stick to lowest position, wait for another set of beeps (varies)
5. Power off aircraft and restart normally with throttle stick at minimum.

The T8FB from RadioLink does it a bit different tried that on field which didn't seem to fix the problem. Will post the videos real soon (I hope :)).

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
I fly mine with 3S.

2S would be WAY under powered for aerobatics for me on that plane with that motor and prop.

mayan

Legendary member
I fly mine with 3S.

2S would be WAY under powered for aerobatics for me on that plane with that motor and prop.
But should still fly? I was definitely expecting it to fly with the glider wing on a 2 cell like the first TT I built did.

Videos coming shortly, just saving the last one right now.

mayan

Legendary member
Hey All,

So as promised with apologies for the delay here are a few practice session videos, along side a show off video for a few friends at a BBQ we arranged. Enjoy!

Practice session with my kids. Flying the my original white only TT and me giving the Versa Wing a first maiden. The maiden of the Versa Wing didn't go well, so looking for your feedback about it: 26-09-2018 - FT Tiny Trainer 3 Channels + FT Versa Wing First Maiden [GoPro]

Me showing off at a BBQ that me and my high school friends arranged for all times sake. The location was great because we had a shaded area for the BBQ where everybody could sit, eat and rest; and I had an open field to fly in without having to walk to far from my car or the BBQ area. Was an awesome day, here is the GoPro footage: 29-09-2018 - FT Tiny Trainer 3 Channels Show off at a BBQ with Friends [GoPro]

And here is yesterday's practice session with the new TT that I built. Red color coating, flying 3/4 channel first time maiden. Like I mentioned for some reason this didn't seem to fly. After all the checks I did at the field it seems like an under power or ESC calibration issue to me because everything else seems to be working fine. Didn't get a chance to sit at home and do some electronic swapping to try and figure it out yet but hope to get to that soon. Any how here is a link to that video: 02-10-2018 - FT Tiny Trainer Red & White Color Coating 3/4 Channels [First Time Maiden] [GoPro]

Looking forward for your feedbacks :)...

mayan

Legendary member
And here is yesterday's practice session with the new TT that I built. Red color coating, flying 3/4 channel first time maiden. Like I mentioned for some reason this didn't seem to fly. After all the checks I did at the field it seems like an under power or ESC calibration issue to me because everything else seems to be working fine. Didn't get a chance to sit at home and do some electronic swapping to try and figure it out yet but hope to get to that soon. Any how here is a link to that video: 02-10-2018 - FT Tiny Trainer Red & White Color Coating 3/4 Channels [First Time Maiden] [GoPro]

I won't be getting a chance to do some checks before my shift starts, so it will have to wait for later. Any way this is what I thought to do to understand if it was an under power issue and what is causing it if so.
1) Connect a 3S LiPo battery and check the motor power. It should give enough power. Even if it does I'll still go on and check #2.
2) Check the motor with the ESC used to fly the original white TT on a 2S LiPo battery, to see if its sounding better. If this works then it's clearly a calibration issue. Then I'll need to re-calibrate the ESC.
3) Repeat step #2 with a 3S LiPo battery, and see the outcomes.

If this doesn't give me the answer to my problem then I am clueless.
Looking forward to your feedbacks.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Sometimes the reprogramming of the ESC timing can improve motor performance quite a lot. If the ESC timing is off the motor will not get the correct waveform to drive it properly. The normal ortions are effectively fast, slow and auto. Most ESCs are delivered as Auto but there can be variations.

have fun!

mayan

Legendary member
Sometimes the reprogramming of the ESC timing can improve motor performance quite a lot. If the ESC timing is off the motor will not get the correct waveform to drive it properly. The normal ortions are effectively fast, slow and auto. Most ESCs are delivered as Auto but there can be variations.

have fun!
How do you reprogram the esc is it basically calibration?

Arcfyre

Elite member
How do you reprogram the esc is it basically calibration?

Most ESCs come with a programming table that explains how to program them using your transmitter. Basically different beeps control different functions. You can set things like timing and the brake by listening for a specific beep and then manipulating your controller at the right time. It's kind of a pain but once you get used to it it works pretty well.

Arcfyre

Elite member
I watched your Versa Wing video. It almost looks like the engine is pushing air forward over the wing instead of backwards. Are you sure it's all spinning properly? The thing looks like it hits a wall in midair.

mayan

Legendary member
Most ESCs come with a programming table that explains how to program them using your transmitter
I'll look for it.

I watched your Versa Wing video. It almost looks like the engine is pushing air forward over the wing instead of backwards. Are you sure it's all spinning properly? The thing looks like it hits a wall in midair.
:ROFLMAO:. I'll double check it today. Try to post a video about.

Any thoughts about the new TT why it didn't fly?