Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I have flown the TT with a metal undercarriage and large wheels as well as a heavier battery. It does want/need to fly faster to remain aloft but with sufficient power and a decent prop it is no issue. Actually with a good motor/battery/prop setup it can be very fast and quite aerobatic.

If you version id flying too slowly perhaps you still need to look at the motor/Prop/battery combination that you are using!

Have fun!

mayan

Legendary member
So remember that I have a MT1806 1430kv that just didn’t give enough power to fly the red TT with sports wing that I built?

So..... I found it a new house, a Mini Mighty Mini Sportster better known as M3 Sportster.
E4DB26DA-9856-415C-AF3C-71853ABDA3CC.jpeg
92322AF5-1D3D-44DD-A8C7-78995353074E.jpeg
C822F120-7A3D-4C06-B1DE-8698FE223F09.jpeg

Will it fly? Let’s go find out.

mayan

Legendary member
Will it fly?
Happy failure. Why? It didn’t fly but no electronics got damage, neither did the plane. I do have a rudder issue that is not centered causing the rudder to shift to the left even at max trim. On this model and especially on this size (50% scale of the original FT Might Mini Sportster) it’s impossible to fix the problem without building the whole fuselage from scratch, so I am not going to bother with it.

I started this project because for the last few days I haven’t had the time nor energy to finish off the new power nose for the red TT. Decided to build a new one cause the old one was a bit bashed up, figured I’d build a new one for the new MT1806 2280kv which I bought. I also didn’t find the time and energy to go out to the field to first maiden my Simple Soarer or give the Versa Wing another try. Any how I had this motor and I wanted it to do something rather that just sit around plus am looking for something that can be flown in doors since winter is coming. Didn’t work but was a fun experience which helped me dare a bit more with the hobby. I am still looking for something that I can scale down to fly in doors. Need something with a wider fuselage than that of the Mighty Mini Sportster. Has wheels because I want to practice taxing and be able to take off from the ground. Is good as a trainer cause after all I am still a Newbie with limited flying skills. And also something that can fly 3 and 4 channels.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
One note on the Mini Sportster - I think you had the same problem I did with my first Sportster build. In the picture it looks like the Horizontal stabilizer wasn't level with the wings. That's a very important thing, especially in small models. The vertical stabilizer & rudder can be crooked to the fuselage (i.e. not pointing straight forward) and the plane will just want to fly in circles, and if the rudder is tilted to the side it really doesn't impact forward flight at all (turning gets messy though unless you have two vertical stabilizers at the same angle like the F-22).

But if the horizontal stabilizer and wing aren't level you're in for a rough flight experience. When the wings are level and the stabilizer is tilted the tail tries to move to the side and twist the fuselage - and when the tail is level the wings are banking the plane to the other side. A really really good pilot might be able to keep it in the air, but I'm certainly not that good yet :D

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Haha, my Sportster broke in half a long time ago and I hot glued/taped it back together and the tail is off a bit. It fly's awesome still, but likes do certain maneuvers one way better than the other and no longer loops very straight. But it makes for a great practice plane.

mayan

Legendary member
I went to the field today to fly after a few days of having no energy or time to do so. I took the the red TT which didn’t have enough power last time I tried to maiden it and the Simple Soarer for a first time maiden. Started off with the SS power nose. I don’t know what happen but it had a crazy steep climb, did a back flip and crashed before I was able to figure out what happened. Broke the prop and didn’t have a spare one, so couldn’t try again with the power of the motor. I did toss it around a few times as a glider and again that steep climb, stall, but this time it was belly landing quite nice. Unfortunately I don’t have videos of it so you all can feedback it. Ohh well I am sure it will work out better next time. Meanwhile I might as well give the red TT another try with the MT1806 2280kv motor. Tried it out with a 2S 1000mah battery and the sports wing, it was great! Unlike last time it had power. Was flying a bit of 8s trying to master the usage of ailerons as opposed to rudder. Was flying away from me and back to me trying to belly land close to where my stuff was. Had some wing tip landings but mostly bumpy belly landings. Got crazy lucky when managed to pull up and out of a fast paced route with the motor directly pointing to Mother Earth o_O. To sum up, I would say that I had a thrilling fun flying session with no real damage done to any part of the plane expect for this:

E2F42DB9-0862-438E-A1CF-01D10F50325D.jpeg

which I think was caused by an invisible tiger, cause I just couldn’t figure what how this might have been caused.

Arcfyre

Elite member
Thrust angle on the SS is very important. Make sure your motor is pointed down, meaning not mounted flat to the firewall.

mayan

Legendary member
I post a picture of it ASAP, so you can give me some feedback about it.

Meanwhile I am not giving up on making a 50% scale of any of the FT models that will be able to run off my MT1806 1430kv motor and could be flown in very small spaces. After the mini sportster didn't work because of a reason that I never bothered checking considering that it had a rudder not centered problem. While the challenge continues I built a 50% scale of the TT (M3 TT) which is by all means my favorite plane at the moment. Gonna give it a try in the morning :).
IMG_20181021_221534.jpg

mayan

Legendary member
Yet another failed maiden. The M3 TT was again to heavy with the Motor, prop, battery setup to fly. I am going to try scale down the FT Mini Speedster which should at 50% scaled be light enough to be able to fly.

@Hai-Lee you mentioned that you use the MT1806 1430kv with the TT on full scale with a 7x4.5 prop, is it 3 blades or 2? Also is there any difference between 2 to 3 blades on a prop? or could a 2 blade work too as long as it is the same size?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I use/used the 2205c 1400kV from HK with a 12A esc and a 850mA 3S battery. I also like ot use 3.7 gram servos but my Fb is heavier than the FT original.

The 2205c 1400kV can utilise props on 3S up to 9x5, (all 2 bladed), so I use the props selection to reduce the performance to suit beginner pilots.

Have fun!

mayan

Legendary member
Inspired by @buzzbomb, two weeks ago I set on a challenge to build and fly a 50% scaled FT model. So that I can use my hanging around MT1806 1430kv motor, and fly in really small areas because winter is coming. I built many versions of the same planes trying to get them air born but all failed miserably.
IMG_20181027_110356.jpg

Some ended up as room decorations others given out to friends.
IMG_20181027_110407.jpg

Anyhow yesterday night at work, around 21:00 or so I managed to get a 50% scaled FT plane model to fly. Which was it? Hmmmm my all time favorite as of today the beloved Tiny Trainer :).
IMG_20181027_110442.jpg

servo setup. A ton of thanks to @Arcfyre for giving me the idea for this.
IMG_20181027_110457.jpg

battery hatch.
IMG_20181027_110512.jpg

Also a ton of thanks to @Hai-Lee for giving me the prop tip. Couldn't fly without that thrust. :)

I used 3mm foam board, after the 5mm one didn't work too good. It made this a lot more massive and left me with even less space for the electronics. The battery hatch is quite long so that I can change battery sizes and move it back and forward to balance CG.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Nice job! I also sometimes build the full size TT from the 3mm FB and it flies extremely well and is actually lighter ans MORE rigid!

As for the failed build, If you like the design try to build a Mini Speedster. I had one many years ago now and i crashed it so much and it was normally just change a prop and back in the air!

Have fun!

mayan

Legendary member
Dude! Did it fly or didn't it?! Holy cow, pins and needles and stuff. Does it fly like you want it to?
It was dark outside so kinda hard to tell if it flew as I wanted but it did fly so stage one done with. I kinda crashed into a tree and it landed on the roof of a building underneath. Lucky it was a low building, so I pulled out my ninja moves climbed the roof and brought it down. All while being on break from work :).

try to build a Mini Speedster.
I have gave it away. Just couldn’t get it to fly. And always having issues with ground take offs too :(.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
It was dark outside so kinda hard to tell if it flew as I wanted but it did fly so stage one done with. I kinda crashed into a tree and it landed on the roof of a building underneath. Lucky it was a low building, so I pulled out my ninja moves climbed the roof and brought it down. All while being on break from work :).

I have gave it away. Just couldn’t get it to fly. And always having issues with ground take offs too :(.
The problems you experienced are common but easily overcome with a lower kV motor ans a larger prop. In addition a longer ground run at higher speed before take off makes it a pussy cat to fly.

My version survived for well over a year of constant crashes and finally ended being gifted away to another club member as a hack to learn upon.

Have fun!

mayan

Legendary member
Two days ago a few hours before a small rainstorm hit our area, I went to first madain a new TT that I built from recycled foam board. The red one that I had was beaten more than I felt comfortable flying so I laid it aside deciding I'd find time to put it together and hang it on the wall.

I broke the tail part of the fuselage, ran home, fixed it, picked up a friend, and went out to fly again.

Tomorrow should be nice with 18-22 degrees Celsius with 5-11 km/hr of wind, so I plan on going out to the field. Debating if to take the simple soarer and versa wing with me...

d8veh

Elite member
mAh =mili-Amp-hour.
The plane looked good and flew pretty well.

I think the wide-angle lens on your camera made it look like you were flying the plane a long way from yourself, so much of the time we couldn't even see it. For a Youtube vid, it's much better to fly as close as you can so that we can see what's happening.

You probably know this, but in case you dont, on a sunny day, you should never fly the plane in front of the sun because you won't be able to see it for a while afterwards, so stand with your back to the sun and fly around in front of you. It's better for the camera too. the second video was better than the first in that respect.

mayan

Legendary member
Big day tomorrow. I decided to take all the 3 planes that I had built and ready to fly to the field tomorrow. Going to fly TT and try to first maiden the Versa Wing and Simple Soarer again. Wish me luck.

6472A72F-AFC2-4377-A654-C2B0CD692A66.jpeg