Micro/Mini one sheet quarantine build off

Morgajus

That might be true. I haven't been to the field when there wasn't someone else there already.
105"? dang. Think the largest I've seen was maybe 60", but I haven't been going very long either.

OliverW

Legendary member
That might be true. I haven't been to the field when there wasn't someone else there already.
105"? dang. Think the largest I've seen was maybe 60", but I haven't been going very long either.
Ah, ok. A guy who goes to your club also goes to our club. He says that you can fly nothing bigger than a 30cc gasser there. He told me that if I flew only in low and slow, I might be able to do it lol

Morgajus

Ah, ok. A guy who goes to your club also goes to our club. He says that you can fly nothing bigger than a 30cc gasser there. He told me that if I flew only in low and slow, I might be able to do it lol

As far as the rules go, the only thing I'm tracking is "no gas turbines"
I would guestimate the area to be about the size of a football field, maybe a little bigger.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Beautiful my friend absolutely beautiful! Say where do you live to have such an amazing field right off of your front porch?

Haha, thanks! I live in Wyoming, professional cowboy you might say. Pretty much as far as you can see in that video is my front yard! (And my back yard is even bigger 😅) no one out here but me and my family, we're always quarantined! Lol

Morgajus

I am attempting to design something for this build... It's pretty rough.

I'm still calculating thrust angle and precise wing placement. Masses for everything but tape/glue, control horns/rods, and servo arms/wires/extensions are accounted for... 393.54 grams with a 3s Lipo, 10a ESC, 6040 e-prop and a 2204 1200kv (prop saver) motor
View attachment 166860 View attachment 166861 View attachment 166865 View attachment 166863 View attachment 166864
the elevator needs to be scored on the back side... View attachment 166862

more to come as I work on it tomorrow.

EDIT 1: made a mistake with the polyhedral, 15 degrees became ~20. I don't know how that will affect the flight characteristics. and the full length box fuse is a little skewed.
View attachment 167118
Tape reinforcements on all control surfaces, major seams, and leading edges.
Reconsidering the power system at the moment... 400 grams on an ~a-pack equivalent might be a bit much.

Upon further experimentation, the power system is indeed severely underpowered. The motor stutters right as the plane starts to roll during taxi (which I have been informed is a timing issue with the esc, or that it is over-proped.) So, I've decided to scrounge a 20 amp esc from a different project and possibly a 2212 1200kv motor (~b pack equivalent). Unfortunately the other propellers I have on hand are 3-blade 5" and 8060 low fly props (or something like that.)

Any suggestions?

Samh

Elite member
Upon further experimentation, the power system is indeed severely underpowered. The motor stutters right as the plane starts to roll during taxi (which I have been informed is a timing issue with the esc, or that it is over-proped.) So, I've decided to scrounge a 20 amp esc from a different project and possibly a 2212 1200kv motor (~b pack equivalent). Unfortunately the other propellers I have on hand are 3-blade 5" and 8060 low fly props (or something like that.)

Any suggestions?
calibrate the esc. once quarantine is over, come down and fly with me and @SquirrelTail

OliverW

Legendary member
I've got some work done on the GLH
20200428_195657.jpg

L Edge

Master member
Here is a video from 2012 for my entry.

Only thing left is video(stop video immediately to see its design using the letter k) showing a scratchbuilt model(Scifi in looks) with a forward swept wing (ailerons) and a canard that used elevons to make a flight. Found out lots of info dealing with FSW and workable canard.

Key to doing a complete flight ended up having to modify it so it had a workable rudder and small deflections in the controls..

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I think I'll call her the ugly duckling...

View attachment 166438

Barely more than 2/3rds of a sheet, she comes in at 79 grams without the battery. The quad that the motors came from weighed about 85 grams so I have some hope that shes got enough power to fly. It will be interesting to see if the differential thrust alone will be enough control to keep her in the air.

Hopefully I'll get a maiden in tomorrow.
She needs a bigger nose... I think. Look great! A way to repurose those terrible toy drone motors.