Mini FT Flyer

GrizWiz

Elite member
You could have to 0.05 edge extension for postering which could cause you to accidentally tape then longer than recommended!

Flyingshark

Master member
I'm working on v1.5 of the plans right now. :) The purple boxes are alignment markers representing sheets of paper. I'm trying to make it as easy as possible to print and tape together. Hopefully I'll be able to finish this by the weekend! :D
Screen Shot 2020-11-12 at 14.52.23.png

Flyingshark

Master member
Thanks!

You might have noticed the mini power pod in the bottom middle. I think your method/that method is going to be so much easier to fiddle with. Less to recut and redraw to change the thrust angle! :)

There will probably be several little tweaks like that to be made before this becomes a resource.

Last edited:

GrizWiz

Elite member
Thanks!

You might have noticed the mini power pod in the bottom middle. I think your method/that method is going to be so much easier to fiddle with. Less to recut and redraw to change the thrust angle! :)

There will probably be several little tweaks like that to be made before this becomes a resource.
Yeah!

jitblass

Wow, I just started looking for this very thing and find out you’ve done all this great work just before I started searching for a mini FT Flyer! :)
Tell me... do you find the 75% version to be better for small yards than the standard (slow speed and wind tolerance?). I know sometimes those small builds can be even faster than their larger siblings.
I’m looking for something to fly around in ~1/3 acre backyard and wondering if I would be better suited with your scaled down version or the standard.
Thanks for all the hard work on this! I know that took a great deal of time.

GrizWiz

Elite member
Wow, I just started looking for this very thing and find out you’ve done all this great work just before I started searching for a mini FT Flyer! :)
Tell me... do you find the 75% version to be better for small yards than the standard (slow speed and wind tolerance?). I know sometimes those small builds can be even faster than their larger siblings.
I’m looking for something to fly around in ~1/3 acre backyard and wondering if I would be better suited with your scaled down version or the standard.
It flies very easily in the a backyard as long as it does not weight to much!

Flyingshark

Master member
I've actually never built the full-size one, but I'm pretty happy with how this version flies. Wind definitely affects it, but it seems to be able to ride it pretty well, if you've built up a little speed. In a 1/3 acre backyard it should have enough space to fly nicely. In my tiny backyard, I need to fly as slowly as possible, just on the edge of stalling and still crash into the fence a lot. But at the larger places I can fly, it's super enjoyable. Small builds are generally faster, but that's because of the wing loading. Since this can run on an A/F pack and a 2s battery, it's pretty light for its wing area. So it probably flies a bit faster, but it's also smaller. Tradeoffs... :)

Personally, this is one of my favorite planes to just take out and fly, but I'm still tweaking the thrust angle on the power pod to try to get it just right.

Last edited:

Flyingshark

Master member
Officially declaring Mini Flyer #3 lost. It's been stuck in a tree for a little over a month now, so time to remove it from the "flying" list. My "crashed" list really is getting long...