• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Scratch built Scale Icon-A5

#3
I finished the plans for the tail.
DSC_0254.JPG
After cutting these out, I traced them onto foam.
DSC_0255.JPG
and proceeded to cut the pieces out.
DSC_0257.JPG
I glued the smaller stabilizers into the side of the rudder, and since it is hard to get a knife in place for a bevel cut for a hinge, I ended up using a sanding block instead.
DSC_0260.JPG
DSC_0258.JPG
Forgot to grab some pics of the elevator before it was put on, but it has split elevators, to go on either side of the vertical stabilizer. Also, the float part of the tail is creased about halfway down and glued on the bottom. The lower float is made with a B-fold.
I need to increase the size of the float, but other than that, the tail is looking pretty scale!
DSC_0264.JPG DSC_0263.JPG
 
#4
I finished the main bottom plate, I will upload pictures soon. What are your thoughts on making this swappable with the FT Explorer pusher pod, given that the thrust angle works. Could be pretty economical.
 
#5
I have the larger ParkZone A-5 & the umx A-5 (liked the umx so much I bought a spare LOL). Building one would be great! I love the swappable idea. So far, this looks magnificent! Keep going with it, please?
 
#6
I have the larger ParkZone A-5 & the umx A-5 (liked the umx so much I bought a spare LOL). Building one would be great! I love the swappable idea. So far, this looks magnificent! Keep going with it, please?
Thanks for the encouragement. I have been hung up with some other things recently, but I certainly haven't forgotten about this. I will be working on it more the next few weeks, and I hope to have it ready by the end of the month. Also, I'm glad to have a second opinion on the swappable concept. That will give me something to build the wing around. I can't upload pictures at the moment, but the front has come along a little more. Look for pictures tomorrow.
 
#8
I just started on the wing design.
DSC_0470.JPG
Some of the scale lines are complicated, but I plan on using them to ad some flare to the wingtips for a gentle stall. Look for a completed wing in the next couple of days.
 
#9
I made more progress today. Here is the tops of the wing.
DSC_0475.JPG
It has 3 breaks, to allow for the scale curves. Using the same build techniques for FT, I built a simple box spar.
DSC_0476.JPG
DSC_0478.JPG
And glued it onto the wing.
DSC_0479.JPG
There was some room left for an under camber in the wingtips.
DSC_0480.JPG
I went ahead and drew out the bottom wing plate.
DSC_0481.JPG
Here is how it looks roughly with the bottom plate sitting on the wing spar.
DSC_0483.JPG
At this point I realized that the aileron servos need to go somewhere, and I planned for them to go on the underside of the wing. After a few access holes and removing paper, The servos had a place to stay.
DSC_0484.JPG
DSC_0485.JPG
All of my servos I have at the moment are for the Simple Storch that I recently completed, so I will order a few more.