Swift II build. Need some advise...

nene

Thanks for the extra pics, I will try to replicate this, if I get my Swift up an running. I managed to assemble the Swift so its ARTF. :) I am now waiting just for the battery and prop to come. Below are some pictures. I still have to properly mount the ESC... Any comments are welcome.

BILD0154 [1024x768].JPG
BILD0156 [1024x768].JPG
BILD0157 [1024x768].JPG

Last edited:

UndCon

UndCon
Looks good - I think you want to cover your servos or they will break easily on landings.
//UndCon

Burg

Never catch a multirotor
Looking very good already nene !
Hope to see the end result soon ..
Nice to see that you used some of my tips ;-)

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
nice build nene!

Looking great. I like your design on the top of the wing :)

How did you solve the problem with the tape not being able to stick on EPP?

nene

How did you solve the problem with the tape not being able to stick on EPP?

I haven't solved that yet really. :) The tape you see over the servo push rods is just temporary for the CA to dry, because I have no activator. I have now taped the leading edge of the wing, and the tape doesn't stick very good. Any suggestions? I was thinking I could go over the edges between foam and tape with a thin layer of hot glue...

I have one more problem, that is bothering me. When I was gluing the carbon rod, there was approx 1cm of gap between the wing and the carbon rod in the middle, while the end of the carbon rod were on the wing. The bottom of the wing wasn't straight. So I forced the carbon rod in the middle to the wing and glued it in. Was this the right thing to do? I am sure, I glued the wing straight when I glued it together, you can also see on the top of the wing that its straight.

On the image below you can maybe see what is bothering me, the back inside of the wing is force down a little bit, you can tell by the motor mount being slightly bent.

BILD0158 [1024x768].JPG

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
That shouldn´t be too much of a problem I think.

A solution I heard many people do with the tape is not using Hot glue (you won´t be able to get like a VERY thin layer of hotglue on it and then the tape at once. The hot glue will dry too fast) but what I know works is covering it with Uhu Por (a normal flexible glue similar to GOOP) that one actually needs to dry a little (for 10 minutes) and then apply the tape. Uhu por is a glue that needs air to be "activated" and as soon as it feels dry you are ready to put the tape on. That holds! I have seen people doing that a lot on bigger wings. The problem with my Hacker Skyfighter (similar to mini swift) is that tape is too heavy...

Burg

Never catch a multirotor
I was thinking I could go over the edges between foam and tape with a thin layer of hot glue..

+1
I do it like that too.
Tip: after aplpying the hot glue, wet your finger and wipe over the hot glue to make a very smooth surface.

But the idea from Anas is actually better. You will have more time to make it nice, because like Anas wrote, hot glue dries very quick. I know very thin CA with kicker works but this is brittle and breaks when bending the wing. Hotglue and UHU POR remains flexible.

So I forced the carbon rod in the middle to the wing and glued it in. Was this the right thing to do?
Yes, this is known. You did the right thing by pushing the rod down in the middle. The slight deformation is absolutely no problem. Great job figuring that out !!

nene

Great... I will try with UHU Por then, and we will see how it goes.

That carbon rod thing we really worrying me, glad to hear I did the right thing.

If the weather will be good this weekend, the Swift is definitely going into the air. Next week we are geting some cold and snowy weather, so I hope I get the battery and propeller soon or my thumbs may freeze... :D

Burg

Never catch a multirotor
Good luck nene !
For the maiden make sure you you start with elerons and elevator at approx 60-75% dual rates.
This way the response is somewhat slower and gives some less stressfull first flight.
After a while, when you got used to it, crank it up to 100% :)
Check the static 60-75% differences in throw with 100% first.

And carefull with your fingers.
Launch it like done here at 8:30 minutes.
It will take several times till you get it right ..

http://youtu.be/RD1b3Z7K2bE

nene

Yes, this is also something I wanted to ask... DR and EXPO. So 60%-75% DR, what about EXPO?

Burg

Never catch a multirotor
No expo needed at first. I believe expo is for fine tuning later to the maximum handling feeling.

nene

Yay, I have received all parts today. :applause: I have some work to do, so I will probably assembly the Swift II on Friday evening and hope for some flying time on Saturday. What is your best CG point from your experience? The manual says 180-185mm from the tip of the wing...

Burg

Never catch a multirotor
18cm is correct indeed.
Try if the wing balances on this position using the tips of your thumb and index finger.
It could be that there is too much weight in the back.
Just add more reinforcement tape in the front then.
But it is not that critical, correct it with the elevator during flight ..
GOOD LUCK !!

nene

Argh, guys, help I'm stuck. I can't get the ESC working... After I connect it, the 3 beeps emit for 3 cell battery, after that there is rapid beeping... The manual says two things could be wrong: to low or to high voltage. That is not the case, the ESC supports 3s and the battery voltage is apporx. 12.4 V. The second this is that the throttle stick is not in the lowest position. I have put it at the bottom position and trimed it down as far as it goes, and it still doesn't work. Any ideas? The same thing happens if I try to enter programming mode (stick at the top).

EDIT: I already figured it out. I just reflashed my Turnigy 9x with er9x firmware, so I am still getting a hang of it. My throttle channel had no values assigned, so no wonder the throttle didn't work.

Last edited:

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Rebind, make sure the bind plug is removed, and then try to enter program mode and set your endpoints.

To do this:
REMOVE YOUR PROP (for safety)
Turn on your radio, throttle trim all the way down (leave it there), move the throttle stick to full throttle, plug the battery into the ESC. The motor should NOT spin, the ESC will beep beep (high endpoint learned), move the throttle stick to off, (the low endpoint is now learned). The ESC should now arm normally and be ready to use. If it didn't work, reverse the throttle channel on your radio and set the Endpoints again.

If this doesn't work check all of your connections.
Still won't work could be a bad ESC...

More info? What radio/receiver/ESC...

nene

You didn't read my post to the end. You can see I solved the problem, it was radio based as I reflashed my Turnigy 9x with er9x and I didn't understand it yet. I figured it out then.

Well, this afternoon it was maiden time! :) I set the CG, check everything was properly mounted, and of we go. I threw the wing sideways and it instantly rolled verticaly. I saved it by quickly counteract the roll and it flew into the wind. Wow, its quick. I quickly landed. No problem whatsoever. After some practice and changing hands, I learned how to throw it. It was quite windy today, but the Swift goes just right through the wind. Amazing. When I drained the battery (ESC stopped :eek: ), I threw my Kinetic up in the air. I could barely save it from the wind and landed somehow safely, running a 3s. That's how windy it was.

I have to be very very pleased with my maiden. No crashes or other problems. Just a little bit of triming and flying. Also, thanks to you guys, who helped me. Below are some pictures of my wing, open for comments and improvements. The battery, ESC and reciever are velcro mounted. I use the ESC to perfect the CG by moving it a little bit up or down.

BILD0161 [1024x768].JPG
BILD0162 [1024x768].JPG
BILD0163 [1024x768].JPG

One question: In the air I realized my motor died because the ESC powered it off. Not a good thing, I know. How do you guys calculate your flying time? Any info or links? I would like to set a timer on my radio, so I know when its time to land.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
You didn't read my post to the end. You can see I solved the problem, it was radio based as I reflashed my Turnigy 9x with er9x and I didn't understand it yet. I figured it out then.

Yes- was posting from work. Did not see your edit until now.
Looks good. Awesome!