The Coffee Shop - For general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
This always happens. I want to call it "light air" or "dead air" but that was from sailing, and I have to remember I'm with plane people now so I have to change it to light breeze or light wind.
I prefer exciting sailing, found a new to me ebay special... lol

20210512_130553.jpg

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
hey there guys just found some awesome bargains that i'm keen on, but i need ur opinions.
Hitec Optic 6 Sport R950 $67.
Specktrum Dx6i R1000 $70.

which one would you guys go for... they both include receivers.

i think i'm leaning towards the hitec because i already have a receiver for it (why do i have a receiver that is 2.4ghz, when i only fly 35mhz atm???)

would appreciate your opinions

OliverW

Legendary member
hey there guys just found some awesome bargains that i'm keen on, but i need ur opinions.

i think i'm leaning towards the hitec because i already have a receiver for it (why do i have a receiver that is 2.4ghz, when i only fly 35mhz atm???)

The only pros to spektrum is that it would be easier to get more receivers for, and that it would be a little bit easier to program. That being said hitec makes a great tx. I had the aurora 9x for a few years

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor

I’ve never used hitec, but I have a dx6i as a backup and it’s a great transmitter.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
I’ve never used hitec, but I have a dx6i as a backup and it’s a great transmitter.
The only pros to spektrum is that it would be easier to get more receivers for, and that it would be a little bit easier to program. That being said hitec makes a great tx. I had the aurora 9x for a few years
cool thanks, i think ima gonna go with the hitec... because i know the brand (kinda) my cousin knows the brand and the guy up the road ONLY uses hitec, and has tons of receivers.
another thing is Hitec receivers are much easier to find here in south africa.... most specktrum rx's have to be ordered from ebay or amazon;)

There's another great reason to have a Flitefest every year. It gives the active players on the forum a chance to get up close and personal with Josh & crew. Watching the "Master Series Builds..." post, a lot of people haver a lot of needs, wishes, suggestions that they can share in person.

Quinnyperks

Legendary member
There's another great reason to have a Flitefest every year. It gives the active players on the forum a chance to get up close and personal with Josh & crew. Watching the "Master Series Builds..." post, a lot of people haver a lot of needs, wishes, suggestions that they can share in person.
And we can see each other.

As far as the discussion over recent FT video content - I can't remember what thread it's on - I think there's still a place for simpler builds like in the good old days. There's a growing gap now between FT kits and the monster MS builds featured in the vids. I think there are a lot of enthusiasts who've built one or more kits and now want to design something for themselves, but aren't sure of the where's and why's of how to go about doing it.

A staff member can say "Let's build a plane. I've always been a fan of the blah blah, and so I drew this up..."
"I keyed this in here and tabbed this in there because we really want the added strength at this point..."
"This is actually my second version. I want to use this blah blah battery but the spar was too far forward to get the CG right..."
"And at this point we can blah blah... and we have to do it now before we put in the blah blah."

It doesn't need to be about how to draw a plane - there's enough drafting tutorials online to go around. It's about the thinking behind the design decisions, planning ahead, and then about the build techniques, and then a flight test. And it doesn't always have to be a complete success, but there's a process to doing this.

It's not exactly a tutorial, more like a broadly applicable light design/build seminar. There could be one of these every 6 or 8 weeks.

I think that's what we need.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
I like this idea. However... I question how much the YouTube algorithm likes it. The unfortunate part of running a business.

That said, what type of info would you want in videos/content like that? I have a whole list of reference information which has allow me to design and fly just about anything I come up with and have it work.

I like this idea. However... I question how much the YouTube algorithm likes it. The unfortunate part of running a business.

That said, what type of info would you want in videos/content like that? I have a whole list of reference information which has allow me to design and fly just about anything I come up with and have it work.
Yeah, youtube algorithms and stuff. Whatever. I'm not their accountant, I'm a viewer and recognizing a need in the community.

And yeah Jason, you're smart. I am too. As I said, there are a lot of young builders who want to design a plane and don't know how to go about getting started. I try to help if I can, but words in a forum can only do so much. Even the Golden Age FT videos didn't explain the thought process, the design process. They just gave the bare bones instructions of how to build that particular kit. To sell more kits. Go read my post again.

Ok there's the other thing: Making my video will only sell foamboard from Dollar Tree, and maybe if they're lucky a FT power pack. So yeah, it's a sad fact but you're right on that point, they have to sell product. (Besides the Youtube numbers.)

Wildthing

Legendary member
I saw that when my buddy brought a couple down. That thing was insane. He was doing 3d with it lol. He pulled off a pop top and it was such a violent maneuver that it ripped the magnets holding the battery hatch out
Right off the bat you want to add some ca glue to them plus a few drops on the servos doesn't hurt either. The were very cheap on the glue.

Our club is ( few members :) ) are thinking of doing some pylon racing with them

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
Yeah, youtube algorithms and stuff. Whatever. I'm not t heir accountant, I'm a viewer and recognizing a need in the community.
That is a great way to start a new business/project/whatnot... ID a need that isn't being filled, then fill it. Since you seem to be quite passionate about it, would you be willing to give it a shot?

Status
Not open for further replies.