The Coffee Shop - For general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

jack10525

After every new year's, I quit alcohol and cigarettes for two and a half months. I do this in hopes that by regularly detoxing, I can continue to do it later in life without health consequences (though, if I become a father I will quit smoking for good - I don't wanna normalise that in front of them). I think one of the biggest mistakes generations before mine (and still made by many IN my generation) was separating alcohol from 'recreational drugs'. Alcohol is a recreational drug. It's not illegal, no, but in the UK alone, in 2016 9,214 people died alcohol related deaths. It is the second biggest killer of all the drugs in this country. Tobacco takes first place having killed an insane 77,900. Third place is occupied by pharmaceuticals; 3744 deaths were caused by drugs drugs both illegal and legal-pharmaceutical together. When you look at the deaths for illegal drugs independently, they don't make up 1000 deaths between them.

What this says to me is the separation of alcohol and cigarettes from 'drugs' has made people complacent. People say 'drugs are bad' but don't treat alcohol, medicine or tobacco as a 'drug', when they very much are. It is a very destructive one and in Britain, we have a binge-drinking culture where the aim is to get completely out of your skull every weekend. It is everywhere and just accepted. And I don't hear people talking about 'the vacant expression that says it all' on alcoholics - but I see that vacant expression that says it all on day drinkers and alcoholics - when I know so people have to deal with that vacant expression first hand. I mean hell, Ian's effectively told us he's had to deal with it from someone he was married to. I can't imagine how horrible that was - I find it hard enough knowing my childhood bestie ain't gonna see 35. The doc's told him his liver has already taken all the booze it can in a life time, but he doesn't care. Booze before life for him.

Drugs are bad... But so is alcohol and we so often seem to forget that.

See now I disagree to a point. Yes alcohol can be classified as a drug but then so can water or just about anything. True story. Alcohol is legal and accepted in our society. So therefore it is ok.
Now I do like the idea of taking a break but wow 2 1/2 months is insane. I usually dry out for a couple weeks in the new year and then start slowly drinking again. My problem is everything centers around alcohol. Car meets, get together, hanging out...

See now I disagree to a point. Yes alcohol can be classified as a drug but then so can water or just about anything. True story. Alcohol is legal and accepted in our society. So therefore it is ok.
Now I do like the idea of taking a break but wow 2 1/2 months is insane. I usually dry out for a couple weeks in the new year and then start slowly drinking again. My problem is everything centers around alcohol. Car meets, get together, hanging out...
Well just for conversation I'd like to contribute: Alcohol is a mind-altering and mood altering chemical. Just like weed and some other things. Just saying.
My firm belief is that alcohol and all the other substances should be legal (but I didn't say legal and accepted), just like the motorcycle helmet law should be abolished. Performing self-destructive behaviors is supposed to be our right in this country - I'm allowed to dance like a darn fool on my roof until I fall off and snap my neck, but I'm not allowed to [insert recreational substances here]. Any foolish or dangerous actions I might take that don't put others in danger is supposed to be my right in the USA. Children are supposed to wear a bike helmet because we've generally taken on the belief that the parent is responsible for the actions of the child. Ok, it is what it is. But the only reason the motorcycle helmet laws exist is because of dollars. Because of the insurance and litigation culture in this country. If an adult is injured or dead specifically because he wasn't wearing a helmet, it should be his fault, plain & simple. Laws designed to protect me from myself are unconstitutional and frankly offensive.

mastermalpass

Elite member
Well just for conversation I'd like to contribute: Alcohol is a mind-altering and mood altering chemical. Just like weed and some other things. Just saying.
My firm belief is that alcohol and all the other substances should be legal (but I didn't say legal and accepted), just like the motorcycle helmet law should be abolished. Performing self-destructive behaviors is supposed to be our right in this country - I'm allowed to dance like a darn fool on my roof until I fall off and snap my neck, but I'm not allowed to [insert recreational substances here]. Any foolish or dangerous actions I might take that don't put others in danger is supposed to be my right in the USA. Children are supposed to wear a bike helmet because we've generally taken on the belief that the parent is responsible for the actions of the child. Ok, it is what it is. But the only reason the motorcycle helmet laws exist is because of dollars. Because of the insurance and litigation culture in this country. If an adult is injured or dead specifically because he wasn't wearing a helmet, it should be his fault, plain & simple. Laws designed to protect me from myself are unconstitutional and frankly offensive.

I do like the bracketed point. Too many times when I've said 'telling people to just say no to drugs doesn't seem to be working very well, maybe we should legalise and regulate them like other countries have and seen a reduction in addiction and drug related-crime rates' and people retort with 'WOULD YOU BE COMFORTABLE WITH A MAN OPERATING A CRANE WHILE HIGH?!?!' like drink driving isn't an issue that we, y'know... Regulate? Like, you can drink. You can drive. But you can't do both at the same time. Not hard idea to grasp. lol

Having worked in data where a big chunk of my clients are health and safety workers in the construction industry, I've turned a lot from 'HSE - A.K.A the Fun Police' to 'Oh wow, workplace deaths have halved since 2005'. The helmet debate is a hard one for me, I say that if states in the US aren't gonna make it law to wear a helmet, they should make it law that people must watch this video before getting their Motorbike license:

I do like the bracketed point. Too many times when I've said 'telling people to just say no to drugs doesn't seem to be working very well, maybe we should legalise and regulate them like other countries have and seen a reduction in addiction and drug related-crime rates' and people retort with 'WOULD YOU BE COMFORTABLE WITH A MAN OPERATING A CRANE WHILE HIGH?!?!' like drink driving isn't an issue that we, y'know... Regulate? Like, you can drink. You can drive. But you can't do both at the same time. Not hard idea to grasp. lol

Having worked in data where a big chunk of my clients are health and safety workers in the construction industry, I've turned a lot from 'HSE - A.K.A the Fun Police' to 'Oh wow, workplace deaths have halved since 2005'. The helmet debate is a hard one for me, I say that if states in the US aren't gonna make it law to wear a helmet, they should make it law that people must watch this video before getting their Motorbike license:

Yeah I'm with you. If you think you can "force" people to not do drugs because some Karen said "I think that's bad. We should make it illegal." Then you'll just create thriving underground businesses passing billions of dollars through their systems.
In this country it's perfectly legal to own a firearm. Your handgun don't care. :) It's against the law to shoot it at someone without a good reason. And it's against the law to beat 'em with a stick. Or throw rocks at them.

I could choose to go to war and get killed. I could choose to be a deep sea diver. I could choose to bike without a helmet. Law or no law.

If you think it's stupid and irresponsible to bike without a helmet, I'm sure we would all agree on this one: Good for you!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!

As much of a fan of Darwinism and self destruction of stupid people as I am I have to disagree with this whole "should be my choice" thing. The ENTIRE reason for laws and rules is BECAUSE of the stupid ones with ZERO common sense doing what they do but hurting and destroying others lives in the process.

We see far too much of it as it is even with the laws and rules in place. I cant tell you how many times when I worked installing internet for the local cable company that I have seen idiots sitting around getting stoned with babies in the room, Drunk people falling asleep with lit candles, cigarettes' and fire places unwatched that have burnt their houses down. Wont even get started on DUI and all the lives destroyed because some moron thinks they can drive when they are stoned or drunk..

I am ALL about freedom and being able to do as we want.... BUT that all comes with consequences for our actions and THAT is where 80% of humanity these days flat out fails. No one thinks of what could happen as a result of their choices being as free as we are and only thinking of themselves. Personally I think after you reach a certain level of stupid you should not be allowed to procreate and breed another knucklehead just as dumb or worse then you are.

The perfect example is the mother of my son... she used to get high all the time when we first met. I thought maybe she would grow out of it as we got thru school and worked into better jobs. All she could think about was going out all the time, getting high. To this day she still acts like she did in high school. Her one ambition for our unborn child in her mind was that she wanted to be the first one to get high with the child. It was then I knew how bad she really was messed up from the effects of smoking weed so long. How messed up do you have to be to have a goal like that for your child?

He started out really well.. by 5th grade the councilors were asking us if they could advance him a grade or two because he was doing so well. I got hurt when he was 9 and by the time he was 12 I was not able to be in his life so much. By then he was getting high with his mother. Now instead of being a productive member of society and using his gift he smoked it all away and decided his life ambition was to go out west and grow weed for a living. Now he will perpetuate that loser life style with his daughters and they will also just be a drain on the world.

So yeah.. certain people should not have high levels of freedom because they are not able to handle it not to mention they are not responsible enough to not destroy others lives in the process.

And just for general knowledge you have the right to pursue happiness. You do not however have the right to be a menace to society by your actions. Lets say society did allow you to do all the things you listed.. Did you ever once think about if you did fall off the roof and break your neck or scramble your brain on a highway by not wearing a helmet the effects it would have on your family? What would YOUR freedom to be stupid do for their freedoms to have you in their lives. By the way helmet laws are not just over money they came about from the survivors of helmetless crashes being vegetables the rest of their lives and again.. destroying someone elses freedom to love their child, brother, father, what ever family title there is... the cost to keep them alive or rehabilitate some are an after effect.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
After every new year's, I quit alcohol and cigarettes for two and a half months. I do this in hopes that by regularly detoxing, I can continue to do it later in life without health consequences (though, if I become a father I will quit smoking for good - I don't wanna normalise that in front of them). I think one of the biggest mistakes generations before mine (and still made by many IN my generation) was separating alcohol from 'recreational drugs'. Alcohol is a recreational drug. It's not illegal, no, but in the UK alone, in 2016 9,214 people died alcohol related deaths. It is the second biggest killer of all the drugs in this country. Tobacco takes first place having killed an insane 77,900. Third place is occupied by pharmaceuticals; 3744 deaths were caused by drugs drugs both illegal and legal-pharmaceutical together. When you look at the deaths for illegal drugs independently, they don't make up 1000 deaths between them.

What this says to me is the separation of alcohol and cigarettes from 'drugs' has made people complacent. People say 'drugs are bad' but don't treat alcohol, medicine or tobacco as a 'drug', when they very much are. It is a very destructive one and in Britain, we have a binge-drinking culture where the aim is to get completely out of your skull every weekend. It is everywhere and just accepted. And I don't hear people talking about 'the vacant expression that says it all' on alcoholics - but I see that vacant expression that says it all on day drinkers and alcoholics - when I know so people have to deal with that vacant expression first hand. I mean hell, Ian's effectively told us he's had to deal with it from someone he was married to. I can't imagine how horrible that was - I find it hard enough knowing my childhood bestie ain't gonna see 35. The doc's told him his liver has already taken all the booze it can in a life time, but he doesn't care. Booze before life for him.

Drugs are bad... But so is alcohol and we so often seem to forget that.
Cumon buddy you have leave me something pleasureable in life, a couple of drinks at the end of a set of 6 -12hr night shifts is all I have to look forward to :cry:

mastermalpass

Elite member
Cumon buddy you have leave me something pleasureable in life, a couple of drinks at the end of a set of 6 -12hr night shifts is all I have to look forward to :cry:

Don't worry! After all the destruction I've mentioned alcohol brings, there is one other point I have to all this; if alcohol brings so much destruction, why do it? ... Well, 1, if you're careful you can indeed enjoy it responsibly. 2, It's fun. It's enjoyable. I like it. Lots of us like it. It's probably the oldest drug in human history - even Jesus was brewing the stuff (although his brewing techniques sound like they're a bit faster than mine). I'm just saying I think the narrative; 'drugs = bad, alcohol = good and let's forget for a moment that it's even a drug to begin with' is a dangerous one...

So, now you've got me moving onto the more positive side of all this and since this is a website about hobbies after all... Does anybody else on this site like picking wild fruits and introducing them to our good friend; Yeast? :D

1611173463053.png

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
You missed another impotant fact. Honey Bee's collect nectar and produce honey, a by product of there process is production of mead, fermented honey which is why you sometimes you see bee's wandering around on the ground looking dazed. Actually they aren't dazed at all, they are drunk.
So if its good enough for Jesus and Bee's its good enough for me too (y)

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Most things in moderation are good for you, wine for example: particularly Red, is full of anti oxidants which is known to help combat cancer forming cells.
Alcoholic Spirits such as whisky help to thin the blood so again taken in small quantities they benefit heart patients by improving blood circulation.
Guinness a well known Irish stout , has high concentations of Iron in it and is used by people suffering from anemia.

mastermalpass

Elite member
You missed another impotant fact. Honey Bee's collect nectar and produce honey, a by product of there process is production of mead, fermented honey which is why you sometimes you see bee's wandering around on the ground looking dazed. Actually they aren't dazed at all, they are drunk.
So if its good enough for Jesus and Bee's its good enough for me too (y)

I think my brother made mead - using honey produced by his own bees (I didn't know they could make their own though)! He lives in America and one business idea he had was to make British mead and cider. Cider in America is just apple juice apparently. He figured the Americans might appreciate some proper Devon cider... Or, to spell it more phonetically; Broppergh Devon Soydeergh! Onless your fraghm Sommerseht, but the words is jost the sayme! An'it'll annoilate ye just as well!

Wine is the only one I've tried to make and its incredibly simple and easy - you just have to wait a long time for it to brew. But it sure is nice when you've made it yourself! :D

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I think my brother made mead - using honey produced by his own bees (I didn't know they could make their own though)! He lives in America and one business idea he had was to make British mead and cider. Cider in America is just apple juice apparently. He figured the Americans might appreciate some proper Devon cider... Or, to spell it more phonetically; Broppergh Devon Soydeergh! Onless your fraghm Sommerseht, but the words is jost the sayme! An'it'll annoilate ye just as well!

Wine is the only one I've tried to make and its incredibly simple and easy - you just have to wait a long time for it to brew. But it sure is nice when you've made it yourself! :D
The alcohol basically forms in the Bees spit I believe thats where it ferments. Mead is vicious stuff real bad hang over job, not as bad as Scrumpy though that stuff is reet wicked, cider is for kids lol :LOL:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
@IanT The one with the chic in the car was more for the facial expression in that shot.. she is like "Dooooodddd"...

I despise facebook so I added the comment text at the bottom like she really said that in the game and was going to submit it for a screen shot contest.

Maybe one without a bike to check your eyes and age again?

photomode_30122020_103824.png

Status
Not open for further replies.