The Coffee Shop - For general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Oh. You played video games. That's why you're stupid and nasty and you're probably going to hell. Don't you know they're an addiction and they're for dumb people? You should read a book.

I tested into the Navy straight outta high school with a higher then average IQ. They tried intensely to recruit me for their nuclear program to work on reactors but I wanted to be in the air. In all that time I have not killed off too many brain cells as I dont smoke weed or do psychedelic's. Video games have NOTHING to do with intelligence unless you happen to be the one doing the coding and gfx. The bad effects only happen to weak minded people hiding from life or THINKING it is life.

Now my liver on the other hand. I flat out abused that over the years. :cry: Its VERY :mad: with me. :LOL::LOL:

As for going to :devilish:.... I volunteer so I can take over and torment for all the useless humanz that have pissed me off in my life time.

Rob freaking Halford..... nuff said.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I tested into the Navy straight outta high school with a higher then average IQ. They tried intensely to recruit me for their nuclear program to work on reactors but I wanted to be in the air. In all that time I have not killed off too many brain cells as I dont smoke weed or do psychedelic's. Video games have NOTHING to do with intelligence unless you happen to be the one doing the coding and gfx. The bad effects only happen to weak minded people hiding from life or THINKING it is life.

Now my liver on the other hand. I flat out abused that over the years. :cry: Its VERY :mad: with me. :LOL::LOL:

As for going to :devilish:.... I volunteer so I can take over and torment for all the useless humanz that have pissed me off in my life time.

Rob freaking Halford..... nuff said.
Well said Sir. I have also abused my liver over the years, for which I am also paying the price now. But I am proud to say that at nearly 61 years old I have never taken or used any recreational drugs, that includes pot, I dont feel I have missed anything either. I have played video games, Ive watched films and treated them for what they are entertainment and amusment. I started off my career in the scientific world, but too late in life realised I should have joined the RAF.
No idea who the Ron guy is though ?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
It's like Bruce Dickinson couldn't make an Iron Maiden gig so he asked the lead singer of AC/DC to step in for him. Both those videos are really cheesy in my opinion, but... That damn sound! You could write a song about watching paint dry, as long as its 80's speed metal, I'm gonna love it! That whole genre of music is just plain fun!

But speaking of Heavy Metal and games... Checkout what they did to make the music for the new DOOM games:

Well... They keep saying it's heavy metal, but it's much more black metal meets synthwave meets.... Doom? Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden were Heavy Metal and I really don't think you can put them in the same box as this sound. lol

Man I need to reinstall DOOM 2016 and play it through... Then maybe get DOOM Eternal. It is, like the composer says, a very 'metal' experience. And since all the Festivals were cancelled last year, possibly this year too and I'm going a long time without some very loud musicians slaughtering my ear drums and the brain behind them, I may need to get my fix through alternative means. :D

It ceases to be Metal the instant you add keyboards and midi drum tracks in my head. Metal is ALLLLLL about the guitars, thundering drums being attacked like they want to start an earthquake and vocals that range from kill your mom kick your dog low to sky splitting highs all out of the same body.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Well said Sir. I have also abused my liver over the years, for which I am also paying the price now. But I am proud to say that at nearly 61 years old I have never taken or used any recreational drugs, that includes pot, I dont feel I have missed anything either. I have played video games, Ive watched films and treated them for what they are entertainment and amusment. I started off my career in the scientific world, but too late in life realised I should have joined the RAF.

Rob Halford is the lead singer for Judas Priest. Then there is also Ronnie James Dio (R.I.P. the world is less without him in it) who fronted Black Sabbath, Rainbow, and of course DIO. Of course Bruce Dickenson of Iron Maiden as mentioned earlier. There is some newer talent but they have all wandered too far from what metal really is into sub genres. Only us "Boomers" understand that loss.

As for weed.... Well it has been illegal for a reason... Back when scientists and doctors where scientists and doctors and not businessmen with agendas working for big pharma they understood this. Weed makes you dumb in a way you don't even realize you got dumb. Now with the weed generation coming into political power they will spread that decline more rapidly.. You see what it has resulted in every day on you tube, facebook, twitter...

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
My daughter told me she was having "nothing else matters" for her wedding as she walked down the isle. I was fuming as it was one of the songs I had chosen for my funeral.
Then she played the version she had selected, it had cellos an orchestra and no vocals. I thought go ahead its a completley different song anyway, I am still having the original for my funeral.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Rob Halford is the lead singer for Judas Priest. Then there is also Ronnie James Dio (R.I.P. the world is less without him in it) who fronted Black Sabbath, Rainbow, and of course DIO. Of course Bruce Dickenson of Iron Maiden as mentioned earlier. There is some newer talent but they have all wandered too far from what metal really is into sub genres. Only us "Boomers" understand that loss.

As for weed.... Well it has been illegal for a reason... Back when scientists and doctors where scientists and doctors and not businessmen with agendas working for big pharma they understood this. Weed makes you dumb in a way you don't even realize you got dumb. Now with the weed generation coming into political power they will spread that decline more rapidly.. You see what it has resulted in every day on you tube, facebook, twitter...
I know Raninbow well Richie Blackmore from Deep Purple originally. Ronny James I also knew and of course Ozzy from Sabbath, Listened to Judas priest stuff in the past but never knew the front mans name, learn something new every day.

Last edited:

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Weed causes paranoia over time, I can see it in my neighbour and he's only in his late 20's early 30's he has that vacant expression that say's it all.
Just before Christmas my wife son and his fiancee where sat in one Saturday night watching TV, my son decided to order a take away. After 30 mins and no sign he started getting impatient so started watching out of the window. He noticed a small red car drive past the house twice slowly, so thought the delivery driver didn't know the house number. He went outside to the front of the house on the drive and the car stopped.
I little shifty looking guy got out and walked up to my son holding out a little plastic bag with white powder in, to which my son said "sorry I thought you where fetching my take-away" at this point the guy panicked and sprinted to his car and rove off wheels spinning.
Crazy we live in a reasonably nice neighbourhood too, I suppose you get drug taking anywhere these days.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Looking like the rain here is finally subsided for a while anyway, just in time for me heading home :).
Even if I wanted to fly today though I wouldn't bother, the ground will be so water logged in the fields it would ruin any plane I attempted to land there (unless it was a sea plane with floats).
I knew I should have started building the sea otter next. Although to be honest even the Otter would get bogged down in the mud at the moment, the ground is that wet and muddy.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Suppose its a good thing really I can get on with building the Scout, rather than getting distracted by an hour or so flying.
From the 1st of May I dont really want to be wasting my days off building, thats the time to be out flying every day. So I should be building as often as I get the chance now, so my all my planes are ready for Spring.
From May onwards my building and repair time will only be in the evenings, when its too dark to fly or I am at work and its a quiet period like weekend.

mastermalpass

Elite member

Dio fronted Black Sabbath and Rainbow?! How did I miss that?! There is new talent around that still plays that style - remember, there's loads of guys my age who were kinda bummed out that we missed out on previous music eras (fortunately for us, a lot of them are still performing - Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Guns 'n Roses, KISS, Motley Crue, Megadeth, seen 'em all live since 2015 :D ) and so they've realised, the only way our generation is gonna get more of that music is if we make it ourselves. Now, the mainstream doesn't really like metal, rock or punk anymore, so you have to go looking for bands like these.

Around 2009 we got Steel Panther and unfortunately they are a parody of vulgar bands like W.A.S.P so this is the only song of theirs I can really share here:

Then, in 2018 I saw a bunch of 20 year olds who teleported me back to the 60's (song starts at 02:14):

A lot of people crap on Greta Van Fleet for basically copying everything from Led Zeppelin, buuuut - people like me didn't get any Led Zeppelin growing up, if our Dad's weren't into them (and mine wasn't), so I'm very glad this band is a thing!

As for Weed... Yeah, that stuff can creep up on you. But all drugs do! Taking you brain's natural chemical balance and launching it at the wall for fun in any way whatsoever is going to have negative side effects. Hell, carefully administering chemicals to try and get a brain that is naturally un-ballanced to be balanced has its risks. Big pharma aren't the kinds to push weed - you can't patent weed. There's no financial gain from saying plants are acceptable. If anything any dangers of weed will be riding along with the dangers of the other holistic 'alternative' medicines (in other words, old wives tales and made up pseudoscience) that people are choosing instead of legitimate medicines.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Here are two versions of the same song with the change up in band members happening. Seriana is like a female version of Rob Halford with hair.
Both have their charms and they seem to be the closest to old school metal by younger performers I have come across. Not to mention they are much better on the eyes then old dudes in spandex :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

mastermalpass

Elite member

After every new year's, I quit alcohol and cigarettes for two and a half months. I do this in hopes that by regularly detoxing, I can continue to do it later in life without health consequences (though, if I become a father I will quit smoking for good - I don't wanna normalise that in front of them). I think one of the biggest mistakes generations before mine (and still made by many IN my generation) was separating alcohol from 'recreational drugs'. Alcohol is a recreational drug. It's not illegal, no, but in the UK alone, in 2016 9,214 people died alcohol related deaths. It is the second biggest killer of all the drugs in this country. Tobacco takes first place having killed an insane 77,900. Third place is occupied by pharmaceuticals; 3744 deaths were caused by drugs drugs both illegal and legal-pharmaceutical together. When you look at the deaths for illegal drugs independently, they don't make up 1000 deaths between them.

What this says to me is the separation of alcohol and cigarettes from 'drugs' has made people complacent. People say 'drugs are bad' but don't treat alcohol, medicine or tobacco as a 'drug', when they very much are. It is a very destructive one and in Britain, we have a binge-drinking culture where the aim is to get completely out of your skull every weekend. It is everywhere and just accepted. And I don't hear people talking about 'the vacant expression that says it all' on alcoholics - but I see that vacant expression that says it all on day drinkers and alcoholics - when I know so people have to deal with that vacant expression first hand. I mean hell, Ian's effectively told us he's had to deal with it from someone he was married to. I can't imagine how horrible that was - I find it hard enough knowing my childhood bestie ain't gonna see 35. The doc's told him his liver has already taken all the booze it can in a life time, but he doesn't care. Booze before life for him.

Drugs are bad... But so is alcohol and we so often seem to forget that.

mastermalpass

Elite member
Here are two versions of the same song with the change up in band members happening. Seriana is like a female version of Rob Halford with hair.
Both have their charms and they seem to be the closest to old school metal by younger performers I have come across. Not to mention they are much better on the eyes then old dudes in spandex :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Awesome! Just plain awesome! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.