The Triplane Tribuild! (Catchy, huh?)

kilroy07

Legendary member
Yes it is, just uses the straight end.
Thought you use the end the “A” points to (is that the flat or angled end?).....
Maybe that’s where I went wrong with my earlier builds.... now you’ve got me second guessing myself.

sundown57

Legendary member
Thought you use the end the “A” points to (is that the flat or angled end?).....
Maybe that’s where I went wrong with my earlier builds.... now you’ve got me second guessing myself.
I use the end with the A and the angle. I believe its called 3 degrees thrust angle.

FDS

Elite member
Sorry, my bad, they use the angled end. I looked at my SE5, it’s had 3 new powerpods and has a flat end on right now. Checked the DR1 with the original pod on, that’s angled.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Alright guys, here you go!! (sexy headgear and all!)

Now, lets see what you've got! ;)

Absolutely perfect day to fly today! Took the $11 Tiny trainer, the Dr.1 and my repaired Mustang, every one got a battery and every one made it home in one piece (even the $11tt which landed on the far side of a 6' ditch full of water... I was trying to get it to flat spin...) :rolleyes:
Sorry I've been out of it for a few days, but I'm back. Nicely done @kilroy07! Showing all us noobs how it should be done. Absolutely beautiful flight. You flew the DR1 like you'd been practicing with it forever. Calling that a successful maiden is a serious understatement. You even threw in a couple of loops! It's hard to ask for a much better maiden than that. Congratulations!

"No shenanigans." No shenanigans??!! WHAT??!! Oh, OK. Maybe I do want this plane to come back in one piece. I'm not going to promise that there won't be ANY shenanigans, though. Maybe just a little bit... :p

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I did manage to accomplish this!

IMG_0320.JPG

She's as ready as she'll ever be. No matter how much weight I put on the nose, I couldn't get it to balance below the tail. It just wants to stay even keel, so I'm going to run with it. I'll bring some weights with me, just in case.

There's a good chance our flying field is flooded out, but my son and I are headed out tomorrow with the DR1, the resurrected Simple Scout, and a newly repaired 4ch TT. I was hoping to take the Mini Scout with us, but I don't think I'll have it ready.

Wish us luck!

kilroy07

Legendary member
Yea, glad your feeling better (this getting old thing sucks, am I right?!) 😉

Nice clean build! 👍👍
The only thing I might suggest is make sure that cowl isn’t rubbing on the motor bell. It’s funny, but just the littlest drag can really spoil the thrust you get from these motors. (That said, that looks to be one of the new ft “F” packs... that might just burn the paper off!)

The wheels look sweet!

When I balanced mine I started looking at the bottom of the fuselage and the angle of the mid wing..
It can get tail heavy in a hurry during the build (I ended up scrapping the heavy Foamboard tail, and glad for it.)

I tuck my battery almost even with the motor. Although she is so draggy and so much lift, I don’t think a little weight would hurt at all..

My experience was (with smaller motor)
50% throttle coming in for a landing (gliding, not well btw... had to keep some power on.)
75-80% flew great
100% just seemed to make it a tad twitcher (not fly any faster...)
Certainly no vertical prop hanging with the “A” pack motor.

I could also have liked a bit more elevator authority.... might look into that this week (I’m finally home for a week) 😃 what I saying is make sure you have some altitude before any shenanigans (I know you’ll have to do some!) 😉

Good luck and get video! 😉

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
this getting old thing sucks, am I right?!
Brother, you ain't lying! It's been an ordeal, but my doc thinks he's got it licked and I should be able to go back to work in a couple of weeks. I eat like a darn horse and I was suffering from malnutrition of all things. It had been going on so long that my body was eating itself. I've got a pretty funky metabolism to begin with, and it's just one of those things that happens. A whole lot of tests and a cornucopia of medications later, but I'm finally on the mend. Thank you, Lord!

It is a rotary F Pack motor. I'll be running a 6x3 prop with a 20amp ESC and a 3s 850mAh batt. I made sure the outer bell was clear of the cowling.

+- 80% throttle in flight, 50% for landing. Got it.

Elevator authority? Ha! I've got a switch for that! :devilish:

My son just got home and we're about to load up. I pray that field is dry!

mayan

Legendary member
Brother, you ain't lying! It's been an ordeal, but my doc thinks he's got it licked and I should be able to go back to work in a couple of weeks. I eat like a darn horse and I was suffering from malnutrition of all things. It had been going on so long that my body was eating itself. I've got a pretty funky metabolism to begin with, and it's just one of those things that happens. A whole lot of tests and a cornucopia of medications later, but I'm finally on the mend. Thank you, Lord!

It is a rotary F Pack motor. I'll be running a 6x3 prop with a 20amp ESC and a 3s 850mAh batt. I made sure the outer bell was clear of the cowling.

+- 80% throttle in flight, 50% for landing. Got it.

Elevator authority? Ha! I've got a switch for that! :devilish:

My son just got home and we're about to load up. I pray that field is dry!
Go do it fox. Waiting for a we had a great time post followed by a video :). Fly calm this time would you :)?

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I present the Maiden Flight of my first ever DR1 build!

We flew the Mini Scout first as a warm up. That was pretty cool as well. It's over here:

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/ft-mini-scout-newbie-challenge.57186/page-24

The first launch didn't go so well. She was indeed tail heavy. I added three quarters above the cowling and she flew a lot better. My son and I just couldn't believe how darn cool the DR1 looks when it's flying! Video really doesn't do it justice. It may be small, but it's got a serious presence when it's airborne.

I kept it toned down so my son could get a chance to fly it. Even without my usual amateur (and oh so fun!) attempts at aerobatics, that plane is a lot of fun to fly. She is definitely a handful in the wind!

I'm still not sure about the CG on that thing. I've got batteries recharged and we're going to try again tomorrow. If it doesn't rain, maybe the wind will be lighter and I can figure it out. In the meantime I'm going to leave it where it's at.

A couple faux pas. At the beginning I meant to say "new plane" and instead I said "newborn." A little freudian slip there, I guess. :) And when she swung around in her own length, I said it was 90 degrees, but it was 180. Even more impressive.

Then it was my son's turn!

The poor kid was worried about breaking my plane and had a couple of aborted ground launches and I ended up hand launching for him. As is his usual, he got that plane to do some wild stuff. He actually nosed into the wind and rose vertically, like he was on an elevator. I've never seen anything like it.

He also inadvertently named my un-named DR1. Her name is now "Challenge." Aptly named she is, too! Then he brought her in for a pretty decent landing, all things considered.

Throughout the whole ordeal, Challenge sustained only minor damage to the landing gear struts. Mostly because I couldn't get them in place quickly enough and they weren't really mounted correctly. That's been repaired and she's ready to go again. :D

We attempted to fly the Simple Scout next. That VERY short video is over here:

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/what-its-not-a-mini-simple-scout-build.58166/page-3

We were out of time, and the poor Tiny Trainer didn't get her go. Hopefully tomorrow.

So, let's see... Sundown57 beat us all to the punch with the first maiden. Kilroy rocked the house with a pristine flight on his maiden. I learned what a wonderful plane the DR1 is on my maiden. My son gave it antigravity on his maiden. Hmmm. Someone is missing, I think... :unsure:

Mayan! You're up, Brother! :p

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
I present the Maiden Flight of my first ever DR1 build!

We flew the Mini Scout first as a warm up. That was pretty cool as well. It's over here:

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/ft-mini-scout-newbie-challenge.57186/page-24

The first launch didn't go so well. She was indeed tail heavy. I added three quarters above the cowling and she flew a lot better. My son and I just couldn't believe how darn cool the DR1 looks when it's flying! Video really doesn't do it justice. It may be small, but it's got a serious presence when it's airborne.

I kept it toned down so my son could get a chance to fly it. Even without my usual amateur (and oh so fun!) attempts at aerobatics, that plane is a lot of fun to fly. She is definitely a handful in the wind!

I'm still not sure about the CG on that thing. I've got batteries recharged and we're going to try again tomorrow. If it doesn't rain, maybe the wind will be lighter and I can figure it out. In the meantime I'm going to leave it where it's at.

A couple faux pas. At the beginning I meant to say "new plane" and instead I said "newborn." A little freudian slip there, I guess. :) And when she swung around in her own length, I said it was 90 degrees, but it was 180. Even more impressive.

Then it was my son's turn!

The poor kid was worried about breaking my plane and had a couple of aborted ground launches and I ended up hand launching for him. As is his usual, he got that plane to do some wild stuff. He actually nosed into the wind and rose vertically, like he was on an elevator. I've never seen anything like it.

He also inadvertently named my un-named DR1. Her name is now "Challenge." Aptly named she is, too! Then he brought her in for a pretty decent landing, all things considered.

Throughout the whole ordeal, Challenge sustained only minor damage to the landing gear struts. Mostly because I couldn't get them in place quickly enough and they weren't really mounted correctly. That's been repaired and she's ready to go again. :D

We attempted to fly the Simple Scout next. That VERY short video is over here:

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/what-its-not-a-mini-simple-scout-build.58166/page-3

We were out of time, and the poor Tiny Trainer didn't get her go. Hopefully tomorrow.

So, let's see... Sundown57 beat us all to the punch with the first maiden. Kilroy rocked the house with a pristine flight on his maiden. I learned what a wonderful plane the DR1 is on my maiden. My son gave it antigravity on his maiden. Hmmm. Someone is missing, I think... :unsure:

Mayan! You're up, Brother! :p
I can imagine all those wings would cause a lot of drag as well as loads of lift, making it a handful in wind. It does still look a bit tail heavy, often an issue when making models of WW1 planes. The original planes were basically wood poles and fabric with a huge radial heavy engine at the front. Difficult to recreate in model form.
Blooming well done!!!

kilroy07

Legendary member
Wow, Daniel.... I am speechless man!
Well done👍👍
Easily your best flying to date!

Awesome to see you and your son out making memories. Thanks much for sharing with us (me)!

I was going to suggest some harbor freight tire weights on the firewall when you said something about it during your son’s flight. 😉

One of the real Dr.1’s claim to fame was it’s ridiculous turning radius (to the left I believe) due to the torque of the rotary engine and short tail (coupling). Definitely a plane you “danced” with (kept your feet active on the rudder pedals). Challenge is a perfect name.

Your F pack has tons more power than my A, no way I could get a vertical climb like that. 😅
Great job flying for you too @TacoShako
It looked like it was pretty tail heavy the second time, I have to put my battery pretty far forward.

Now, get that Se.5 going, some streamers and lets see you and your son dogfight! 😉

mayan

Legendary member
Great flying both of you. @buzzbomb you calmed it down and that was amazing to watch. @TacoShako I enjoy your landings so very much even with a nose over and am a bit jealous if I must admit :). Just a something I noticed, it seemed like when you were flying high altitude the wind was calmer and the flying was more controlled compared to when you were flying low and battling the wind gusts.

I second @kilroy07 dog fight, dog fight, we want to see some father and son combat baby!