The Triplane Tribuild! (Catchy, huh?)

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
And about this. Yes yes I know I am missing, just waiting on a day I can take my family or friends with me to film it all :).
It's all good. Like we've said many times, there is no deadline. Please wait for the right day to maiden. I just couldn't help put pick on you a little bit. :p

mayan

Legendary member
I did it! I maidened the DR-1 for the first time, it was one hell of an experience. The plane was so super floaty, and flew so slow that I could just fly it in circles in a very close range to were I was standing. I tried to dare and did a sort of loop, a sort of roll and a sort of inverted flight to the ground :). Thanks for the challenge guys @kilroy07, @buzzbomb, as this wouldn't have been built if it wasn't for you. Now check it out the video :).

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I did it! I maidened the DR-1 for the first time, it was one hell of an experience. The plane was so super floaty, and flew so slow that I could just fly it in circles in a very close range to were I was standing. I tried to dare and did a sort of loop, a sort of roll and a sort of inverted flight to the ground :). Thanks for the challenge guys @kilroy07, @buzzbomb, as this wouldn't have been built if it wasn't for you. Now check it out the video :).

Nice maiden, @mayan! Congratulations! You Sir, are the King of slow flying! I simply cannot float a plane anywhere near as well as you do. It's a wonderful thing to watch. Then a loop attempt. Then a decent 3ch roll... You madman! I've got to admit, though, my favorite moment was that second launch, where you managed to throttle up and pull up just in the nick of time to avoid a crash. I'm pretty sure I was holding my breath for that one!

The excitement and joy in your voice was so obvious, it brought an instant smile to my face. You are probably the only person on this forum who was afraid your plane wouldn't fly. ;) Please thank your wife for us, for being willing to go out and video that so we could share those moments. That was simply a wonderful maiden flight.

That last crash looked pretty rough. Was there much damage?

mayan

Legendary member
Nice maiden, @mayan! Congratulations! You Sir, are the King of slow flying! I simply cannot float a plane anywhere near as well as you do. It's a wonderful thing to watch. Then a loop attempt. Then a decent 3ch roll... You madman! I've got to admit, though, my favorite moment was that second launch, where you managed to throttle up and pull up just in the nick of time to avoid a crash. I'm pretty sure I was holding my breath for that one!

The excitement and joy in your voice was so obvious, it brought an instant smile to my face. You are probably the only person on this forum who was afraid your plane wouldn't fly. ;) Please thank your wife for us, for being willing to go out and video that so we could share those moments. That was simply a wonderful maiden flight.

That last crash looked pretty rough. Was there much damage?
Thank you for the kind words. As weird as it might sound there is no damage done to the plane and she is good to go flying again soon :).

kilroy07

Legendary member
"Wheee... Wheee!" @mayan That cracked me up! :ROFLMAO:

So I gotta say, GREAT JOB BOTH of you! (y)(y)

You certainly showed me up with my first experience with the Dr.1...
Remember... This was me a couple years ago;

Thanks for sharing your adventures and I'm glad you both enjoyed the challenge!
I had a great time revisiting the design and proving that even old dogs can learn new tricks.

So, what's next?
After @buzzbomb 's combat video with his son of course and our corsair build Mayan!) ;)

Although, I'm pretty sure my workbench won't be free until after FF....
I've been working pretty hard on my SR-71 design and I really want to take that with me to FF this year!
And I've got a full sized Edge kit cut out that is just sitting there taunting me...

mayan

Legendary member
"Wheee... Wheee!" @mayan That cracked me up! :ROFLMAO:

So I gotta say, GREAT JOB BOTH of you! (y)(y)

You certainly showed me up with my first experience with the Dr.1...
Remember... This was me a couple years ago;

Thanks for sharing your adventures and I'm glad you both enjoyed the challenge!
I had a great time revisiting the design and proving that even old dogs can learn new tricks.

So, what's next?
After @buzzbomb 's combat video with his son of course and our corsair build Mayan!) ;)

Although, I'm pretty sure my workbench won't be free until after FF....
I've been working pretty hard on my SR-71 design and I really want to take that with me to FF this year!
And I've got a full sized Edge kit cut out that is just sitting there taunting me...
The pleasure was mine thank you!
I had the same correcting experience with the Simple Soarer check out the video on this thread: https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/the-second-part-of-my-journey-the-diary.58013/page-12.

Yeah @buzzbomb is going to be a bit busy with combat and there better be videos of it ;). I say we put the Corsair on hold til you come back from FF that way I’ll be able to build the Quick Trick @Hai-Lee suggested I build. BTW any body heard from him lately? Where you at brother?
Also I want to figure out why Tedge ain’t flying :(.

What do you say?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
The pleasure was mine thank you!
I had the same correcting experience with the Simple Soarer check out the video on this thread: https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/the-second-part-of-my-journey-the-diary.58013/page-12.

Yeah @buzzbomb is going to be a bit busy with combat and there better be videos of it ;). I say we put the Corsair on hold til you come back from FF that way I’ll be able to build the Quick Trick @Hai-Lee suggested I build. BTW any body heard from him lately? Where you at brother?
Also I want to figure out why Tedge ain’t flying :(.

What do you say?
Still around and watching. Not much needed in the way of advice of late and I am battling a health issue, (the flu?).

Been teaching a couple of new club members to fly, Building aircraft for a couple of other club members, working on another project for the forum, and slowly working through a build list for the local shop.

As for the Quick Trick, mine is still going strong and may consider a slight redesign and try it as a 3D beast with unlimited vertical!

As for the "Tedge" we can go through the design and flight characteristics quickly and finally get it flying as it should and you intend!

Have fun!

mayan

Legendary member
Still around and watching. Not much needed in the way of advice of late and I am battling a health issue, (the flu?).

Been teaching a couple of new club members to fly, Building aircraft for a couple of other club members, working on another project for the forum, and slowly working through a build list for the local shop.

As for the Quick Trick, mine is still going strong and may consider a slight redesign and try it as a 3D beast with unlimited vertical!

As for the "Tedge" we can go through the design and flight characteristics quickly and finally get it flying as it should and you intend!

Have fun!
Hope you get better soon and super happy you are keeping yourself busy. I will probably get back to Tedge over then next few days and will happily share the build details to get your advice :).

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
After we maiden the SE5, my son and I have got to get some practice in with the two birds, so we can at least stay in the same part of the field during combat. I've got a Simple Scout waiting in the wings as well, also for my son, but I've fallen in love with an idea. I love the size of the Simple Scout and I think biplanes are just cool. I wanted both and I found the Baby Blender.

It's known to be really squirly, but @jpot1 thinks he's got it licked and uploaded plans for a Baby Blender Extended. I've become a bit mentally obsessed with the idea and that plane is next on the build table.

More than a bit obsessed, perhaps. If I'm not actively concentrating on something, I'm visualizing that plane in my head. It's white with dark blue on the front that tapers off as it goes to the rear. (It's a real biplane I'm visualizing, I just can't remember where I saw it.)

I want to fly the darn thing so badly, I don't know if I've got the patience to actually do the markings, even though I've got some HobbyKing wing tape on order. Maybe on Version 2... ;)

I want to thank you all - @kilroy07, @mayan and @sundown57 for a wonderful experience. Building and flying these planes is a joy in itself. When we get to share that journey with others, as we've done here, the joy increases exponentially. Not only was I excited for what I was doing, I was excited for what ya'll were doing as well. Our collaboration raised the fun-factor to a whole new level.

I'm not done with this thread just yet. I'll be posting some practice video with the DR1 and the combat video will be posted here as well.

Later on down the road, we should do this again if ya'll are game. You know I haven't built or flown any of the warbirds, yet... :D:love:

mayan

Legendary member
Later on down the road, we should do this again if ya'll are game. You know I haven't built or flown any of the warbirds, yet... :D:love:
I want to build the Spitfire or Spitfire Mini but that will have to wait until after I finish the Quick Trik, the Master Series Corsair, and wrap up my Tedge build.

kilroy07

Legendary member
I want to build the Spitfire or Spitfire Mini but that will have to wait until after I finish the Quick Trik, the Master Series Corsair, and wrap up my Tedge build.
I’ve heard the spit was a well behaved warbird.... and one I haven’t done yet.... that might be an option. 🤔
What do you say @buzzbomb ?

And I chuckle now that you are both getting a “build list” together!
Now, if I can ever get around to chipping away at my own! 😂

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
And I chuckle now that you are both getting a “build list” together!
Wow, you're right. I'm going to need a bigger house... :LOL:

I’ve heard the spit was a well behaved warbird.... and one I haven’t done yet.... that might be an option. 🤔
What do you say @buzzbomb ?
I'd love to build a Spitfire with ya'll! No hurry, we've all got projects we want to complete, but that sounds like an awesome idea! I'm already looking forward to flying it. Really. Darn it! See what ya'll do to me! :ROFLMAO:

I'll ask @sundown57 when I call him this evening and see if he's in, in case he missed the post. We're "following" each other on the forum, but we're still not getting alerts when the other posts. He's really limited to slow flying planes, due to the size of his flying field, and the really large trees that surround it. Still, I'll ask if we wants to build another Spitfire and join us when we build ours.

sundown57

Legendary member
Wow, you're right. I'm going to need a bigger house... :LOL:

I'd love to build a Spitfire with ya'll! No hurry, we've all got projects we want to complete, but that sounds like an awesome idea! I'm already looking forward to flying it. Really. Darn it! See what ya'll do to me! :ROFLMAO:

I'll ask @sundown57 when I call him this evening and see if he's in, in case he missed the post. We're "following" each other on the forum, but we're still not getting alerts when the other posts. He's really limited to slow flying planes, due to the size of his flying field, and the really large trees that surround it. Still, I'll ask if we wants to build another Spitfire and join us when we build ours.
you really have to ask? Of course im in. whats a spitfire ?

jpot1

Elite member
After we maiden the SE5, my son and I have got to get some practice in with the two birds, so we can at least stay in the same part of the field during combat. I've got a Simple Scout waiting in the wings as well, also for my son, but I've fallen in love with an idea. I love the size of the Simple Scout and I think biplanes are just cool. I wanted both and I found the Baby Blender.

It's known to be really squirly, but @jpot1 thinks he's got it licked and uploaded plans for a Baby Blender Extended. I've become a bit mentally obsessed with the idea and that plane is next on the build table.

More than a bit obsessed, perhaps. If I'm not actively concentrating on something, I'm visualizing that plane in my head. It's white with dark blue on the front that tapers off as it goes to the rear. (It's a real biplane I'm visualizing, I just can't remember where I saw it.)

Saw the reference to the blue and thought it a funny coincidence. Here’s mine going strong after 2 years.

022572FE-8483-4844-B1EF-C29435305190.jpeg

1E99D330-20CE-4D2B-851C-A4DC133B2EAE.jpeg

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
We maidened my son's SE5, first. That video is at the current end of this thread:

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/of-course-its-an-se5.58615/page-2

This is the DR1 with an unknown motor, 30amp esc and a 10x4.5 prop with a 3s 850mAh battery. Nope. I could not get it to launch from the ground. She instantly nosed over, every time. So we hand launched it. This is the outcome:

It was a BEAST! I never even got above 50% throttle, if that high. After she came down for still unknown reasons, I pulled a bit of weight from the front and got her ready to go again. When I did the CRAP check there was an awful vibration from the front end.

All that torque on an already compromised powerpod, plus that nose-in had done it in. The front end of the power pod was actually squishy and the motor just sort of flopped around a bit.

I had a couple spare power pods with me, but both my son and I were wore out and edgy and we decided to call it quits for the evening.

That's probably a good thing. All that remains of the landing gear is the wires and wheels, the middle wing broke right at the glue joint at the fuselage and I snapped one of the arms of a cabane strut. Further experimentation is going to have to wait until after the combat, I'm afraid.

Still, Challenge is one day going back up in the air with that combination again. I've GOT to see what 100% throttle is like!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I was watching my video of the DR1 with the 10" prop for the fifth or sixth time, and I figured out why she went down. The wing didn't break when it hit the ground. The wing broke in the air. You can actually see when it happened.

You may recall, I melted the wing joints trying to glue them together with the big glue gun, and added some tape to try to support them. I put just a bit too much stress on it, apparently. I'm actually glad that happened today, and not during the combat, though! :D