The Triplane Tribuild! (Catchy, huh?)

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Wasn't that right after you said "I'm going to medium rates"?... :LOL:
I feel ya, I needed a bit more elevator throw as well.
Ironically, yes it was! The nose was overweight by several grams and I had a hard time keeping altitude. The DR1 is not supposed to be a rocket, but was absolutely exhilarating to see a triplane shoot across the sky.

I know how to get it balanced, now. After the combat I am definitely revisiting that combination and pushing her to 100% throttle on a straight run. The 10x45 is a "slow fly" prop. It has the opposite effect with the DR1. I guess because it's such a small bird. The big motor probably didn't hurt either. :p

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I still have this kit sitting around and a 1300 mah battery to keep that weight up front...seeing how much fun you guys are having with it, I figure I'll try it out soon.
I haven't flown it in a while. I bent the bottom wing at the root and the electronics went into my Mini Scout Biplane project. It's a handful in the air, but it's also really cool. Just watching a triplane cruise around the sky is worth the effort. Definitely worth the build time!

Vimana89

Legendary member
@Vimana89 it would do me a lot of joy seeing you fly a DR-1 too. I like @buzzbomb haven't taken mine out for a while and I should :).
The speed kit will give me half a chance at a decent maiden and cut down my build time. Think I'll just paint the fuselage two tone, one color on the belly one for the rest, and leave the wings and tail brown will a few stripes or decals. Less work, no chance of warping the parts that need to stay straightest. I have no multiwing experience outside a sim though, and this is about as multi wing as it gets. Is the pitch very sensitive?

mayan

Legendary member
The speed kit will give me half a chance at a decent maiden and cut down my build time. Think I'll just paint the fuselage two tone, one color on the belly one for the rest, and leave the wings and tail brown will a few stripes or decals. Less work, no chance of warping the parts that need to stay straightest. I have no multiwing experience outside a sim though, and this is about as multi wing as it gets. Is the pitch very sensitive?
I found the plane very sensitive to throttle so I would say that yes.

Vimana89

Legendary member
I found the whole flight experience to be sensitive. So much so that I named mine "Challenge." That's part of the fun of flying it though. This isn't a plane you can point in a direction and turn to talk to your buddy. You've really got to stay on top of it.
It's 3ch RET which is very familiar. It has a large rudder though and the description says capable of barrel rolls, so this is going to be touchier than any trainer or the V-Sliver by a lot.

Vimana89

Legendary member
I'll be ordering my Charlie kit here in the next couple days, but I've still got this DR1 laying around, and my skills are up to the point where I know I can handle it and I have an interest in having this in my fleet now. I'm starting my kit build tonight. I've got a lot of options. I could go with a 1300 battery or 850, thinking the heavier one. I've got a 2205 Radial and several varieties of props. Which one do you guys think would be best, 6x3x2, 6x4x3, or 5x5.5x3?

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Sweet! Either battery will do ya'. I flew mine with a 3s 850, but I needed a bit of nose weight. Prop wise? I've never flown a three-blade prop. I'd say start with the 6x3. The DR1 is all lift, all the time. It really doesn't take much to keep it airborne and give it the capability of getting really stupidly fun. :)

Vimana89

Legendary member
Sweet! Either battery will do ya'. I flew mine with a 3s 850, but I needed a bit of nose weight. Prop wise? I've never flown a three-blade prop. I'd say start with the 6x3. The DR1 is all lift, all the time. It really doesn't take much to keep it airborne and give it the capability of getting really stupidly fun. :)
Sounds like a plan! If it doesn't fly on 6x3x2 I'm doing something wrong. Ill try that first and test others later.

Vimana89

Legendary member
The main piece of the fuselage and tail plane are complete. Control surfaces are beveled and reinforced, and control horns are on. Going to figure out if my 2205 mounts to this smaller mount. If it does, I'll use a cut down fixed in version of the power pod, and if not, I've got bigger firewalls and can modify the front a bit.

Attachments

• IMG_1191.JPG
    IMG_1191.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

mayan

Legendary member
I'll be ordering my Charlie kit here in the next couple days, but I've still got this DR1 laying around, and my skills are up to the point where I know I can handle it and I have an interest in having this in my fleet now. I'm starting my kit build tonight. I've got a lot of options. I could go with a 1300 battery or 850, thinking the heavier one. I've got a 2205 Radial and several varieties of props. Which one do you guys think would be best, 6x3x2, 6x4x3, or 5x5.5x3?
I agree with @buzzbomb either battery will work I used a 3S 1000mah and had about 15 mins of fly time with 50% throttle using a 6x4 2 blade prop. Waiting to see you finish bird and maiden video :).

Vimana89

Legendary member
I agree with @buzzbomb either battery will work I used a 3S 1000mah and had about 15 mins of fly time with 50% throttle using a 6x4 2 blade prop. Waiting to see you finish bird and maiden video :).
Only my 850s are slim enough to fit in the battery area so I'll try to get CG with those. I got some 3.7g servos that are a bit temperamental, but I'll see if I can get them working with this bird to keep down weight towards the rear and make CG easier without adding much dead weight. I'll post more pics later, but last night, I got more work done on the fuselage and motor mounted. I thought about painting this one, but don't want to deal with the warping and the time and the mess and whatnot this time around, I just want it to fly nice, so I decided to keep the FT brown as a base and add some flare with some vinyl sticker paper and an orange highlighter on its last legs, which I used to make the turtle deck and cowl a nice bright orange.