*Unofficial* Alpha Bravo Charlie

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Nice. 2nd photo posed ;-) Glad to hear you like it. Got Alpha and a Bravo wing plan printed. Looking forward to another prop-jet. They're cool.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
I maidened mine this evening. I am very happy with this plane. I had a mini FT-22 and I hated it. It always felt like it was on the edge of a stall and though it looked cool I did not enjoy flying it. I like an airfoil. This plane is great.

Sorry to hear that the Mini-F-22 didn't make you happy. If you still have it, try making it a little more nose heavy and see if you still hate it.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Gotta try this

16931094_10158274892425416_1870437240_o.jpg 16935430_10158274892230416_762355661_o.jpg

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
What size EDFs are those Andre? I though a dual 55 setup would be cool when I was building my Bravo. You could probably 3d print a ducting system to make it look like a real jet too.

PureCarnage

Hello i would like to download the plans for Alpha, Bravo and charley but the links are not working. Can anyone post links that work or send me them?

kazbach

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Is your motor spinning the right way? That's going to make a big difference in the way it flies. Try switching two of the motor/esc leads with each other and do a run up making sure that the motor is spinning the right way. Do this with the prop off!

If you're in a completely safe area and you are completely confident in your work then you can put the prop on (numbers still forward) and do the run up making sure that the motor is producing thrust in the correct direction.

kazbach

Is your motor spinning the right way? That's going to make a big difference in the way it flies. Try switching two of the motor/esc leads with each other and do a run up making sure that the motor is spinning the right way. Do this with the prop off!

If you're in a completely safe area and you are completely confident in your work then you can put the prop on (numbers still forward) and do the run up making sure that the motor is producing thrust in the correct direction.

I guess the best way to clear this up is to confirm which props in the store are the right one for the FT Alpha.

I received what I believe to be this one:

https://store.flitetest.com/hq-6x4-5-reverse-cw-props/

But perhaps I needed this one instead?

https://store.flitetest.com/hq-6x4-5-standard-ccw-props/

I'm almost certain it was spinning counter clockwise to begin with. I'll check again.

Last edited:

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Both of the props should work fine. It's going to come down to which way the motor is spinning to determine which one you'll need to get. Just make sure that your motor is spinning the same way that the prop should be. I.E. for spinning a CCW prop, the motor should be spinning CCW. You can change the spin of the motor just by switching around two of your ESC and motor leads. If you have red to red black to black, yellow to yellow, try red to yellow, yellow to red and black to black. If you already have either one of those two props they'll work just fine. You'll just have to get at your ESC.

Gazoo

I finished (almost) my Alpha last weekend. I had 4 nights into the build (from scratch). Wow! This plane looks impressive. It is a very well thought out design. Kudos to the STEM kids for putting so much work into it.

It really flies nice and stable. I'm using the 2204 with a 6X3 prop. It is a slight bit too....slow. It definitely makes noise though. At first I thought that the prop could be on backwards. It is numbers forward. I guess that the prop spinning in the cutout section makes more noise than usual? As opposed to a tractor or pusher configuration.

I think I'm going to buy the speed build kit to show some support to the STEM program. I am very impressed with what a group of kids can do. Simply awesome and I want to support that.

I see that the F-pack has been updated to the 2205. Does it have more "snot" than the 2204. I suspect that it does. So, has anyone tried the Alpha with a 2205 and has anyone put it on 4S? I see some posts where others have threatened to put it on 4S but I didn't see any actual reports (unless I missed something). Is the 2205 capable of 4S?

Alpha 1.JPG Alpha 2.JPG

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
I see that the F-pack has been updated to the 2205. Does it have more "snot" than the 2204. I suspect that it does. So, has anyone tried the Alpha with a 2205 and has anyone put it on 4S? I see some posts where others have threatened to put it on 4S but I didn't see any actual reports (unless I missed something). Is the 2205 capable of 4S?

The 2205 is a pretty awesome motor. Really torque-y. It's got way more get up and go than the 2204 does, and it handles 4s like a champ, just don't over prop it. Id recommend that you use a 5x4 tri blade prop for 4s and take it really easy on the throttle, only wide open for short bursts.

Madewthrealchz

Quick question. I'm scratch building the Alpha and getting ready to assemble. In post #93 kazbach linked to a segment of video where Josh says to make sure the motor is running CCW. But he also mentioned that it has to be this way due to a right thrust angle on the mount. The plans that I'm building from have a zero degree motor pod. So am I to assume that since the thrust angle is zero that I can spin the motor either CW or CCW? I ask because I already have a 6X4.5 CCW prop so if I can spin the motor CW that prop will work fine.

RMDC

I haven't built the Alpha, but sometimes the thrust angle is achieved in the alignment of the slots to which the pod will attach on the body of the plane - i.e. the pod is built straight, but it mounts pointed a little to the right. I think that's how the Bushwacker was designed. Might be true here as well?

Yayat

Here is my FT Alpha, I've flown FT vector and Ft Raptor before, among them I think FT Alpha a bit dragging. Is it because of folded wing?
IMG_20180511_114653.jpg