What would you like to see as the new FT scratch build aircraft.

Mozella

Another idea

Ya know....Were not too far from making a quad that we could ride like a motor cycle. We may need 6 or 8 motors and it would cost a bit. But worth it? Something to think about.
When I fall off a normal motorcycle, I expect to get some road rash. If you fall off a quad-bike or octo-bike the first responders will call the local sausage making company to help with the clean up.

IcedStorm777

Any EDF's they have so few compared to prop planes. Maybe a jet glider or an F-4 phantom. something like that

Arcfyre

Elite member
I'd love to see something from the general aviation world. How about a Beechcraft Bonanza? Make it with retracts, flaps, and that sexy V tail.

IMG-20180929-WA0004.jpg

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Not that it really matters but I would like to see a true purpose designed FB EDF trainer. Not a warbird or some fancy civil design but a scratch designed PURE convential layout trainer for those who would like a gentle introduction to reaction powered flight rather than via a FB blur!

Just a thought!

Have fun!

Namactual

Elite member
I would like to see a collaboration with FT and Skip Stewart for a show and a FT version of Prometheus.

Josh Bixler and Peter have done it again! Maybe not to video scale, possibly closer to a FT Guinea Pig. The Short Brothers SC-7 Skyvan! I modified a Guinea to look like one. I'd love to see something closer to proper scale.
IMG_20190110_063229719.jpg

Anyone get me the parts list for the video Skyvan?

L Edge

Master member
Not that it really matters but I would like to see a true purpose designed FB EDF trainer. Not a warbird or some fancy civil design but a scratch designed PURE convential layout trainer for those who would like a gentle introduction to reaction powered flight rather than via a FB blur!

Just a thought!

Have fun!

Have an EDF trainer, not FT, but finishing up with my version of setting up EDF angles. At times, with proper throttle management, can get 8 min flight. Reason, proper design wing and building light. Nice and slow and takeoffs and land without gear.

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/64mm-edf-trainer.57755/#post-462528

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Have an EDF trainer, not FT, but finishing up with my version of setting up EDF angles. At times, with proper throttle management, can get 8 min flight. Reason, proper design wing and building light. Nice and slow and takeoffs and land without gear.

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/64mm-edf-trainer.57755/#post-462528
I had seen that item before and whilst it may handle well enough to be a trainer I am hoping for something that can handle a number of rough or very poor landings without a need for repair. In addition it would be solid enough to be able to be thrown in the trunk possibly under other planes for a drive down to the field without serious damage.

Finally it should be able to fly quite slow to allow time for the newbie to react and respond in flight.

It is OK as I am in the process of such a design at this time so my request will soon be fulfilled.

Have fun!

L Edge

Master member
I had seen that item before and whilst it may handle well enough to be a trainer I am hoping for something that can handle a number of rough or very poor landings without a need for repair. In addition it would be solid enough to be able to be thrown in the trunk possibly under other planes for a drive down to the field without serious damage.

Finally it should be able to fly quite slow to allow time for the newbie to react and respond in flight.

It is OK as I am in the process of such a design at this time so my request will soon be fulfilled.

Have fun!

Interesting what you said. Are you putting landing gear on it ? I guess I will have to revist mine and show you it can take rough and poor landing as well as being thrown in the trunk. In fact, it took me over 2 months to design a landing gear that will stand up to handling clumps of grass or real hard landing where you can straighten it out and re-fly it.

In fact, most foamy's don't have landing gear and that's the next thing a pilot should learn how to do before they buy a warbird(tail dragger) where they usually jump into the air (stalls) and rolls over. And of course, be able to land it in front of you.

Anyway, the result of both of us should have a EDF trainer that meets some or all your goals.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Interesting what you said. Are you putting landing gear on it ? I guess I will have to revist mine and show you it can take rough and poor landing as well as being thrown in the trunk. In fact, it took me over 2 months to design a landing gear that will stand up to handling clumps of grass or real hard landing where you can straighten it out and re-fly it.

In fact, most foamy's don't have landing gear and that's the next thing a pilot should learn how to do before they buy a warbird(tail dragger) where they usually jump into the air (stalls) and rolls over. And of course, be able to land it in front of you.

Anyway, the result of both of us should have a EDF trainer that meets some or all your goals.
Our resultant offerings will definitely be different! Mine will be heavy and slow with a very well tried and robust undercarriage.

My biggest issue is that I like the handling characteristics of a canard but a canard does not like to be heavy as it requires a much larger foreplane. The wing is quite large in span and cord, for its size, and removable, (held in place with rubber bands).

In order to give it a reasonable flight endurance a 2200 battery is preferred and so the airframe must be able to support the battery in a crash without significant airframe damage.

You offering is a great little bird but comparing out versions is like comparing a F15 fighter to a U2 Recon.

Anyway time will tell if I can even get it airborne at the size I require!

have fun!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
@Hai-Lee is there a link to your jet?
The thread has been started and has only very early info as it is a design in progress.

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/edf-basic-trainer-by-hai-lee.58205/

The current state of the design is in the stage of cutting out parts for the first prototype. The wing has been taken/borrowed from another FB design and so just the choice of conventional or canard to be finalised and then the build starts proper!

Have fun!

L Edge

Master member
Well, it is going to be interesting how you approach it to make it a slow lander, have a decent flight time, and be heavy carrying a 2200 3s system.
The other 2 things of interest is to watch for is stability and how it handles in gusty winds. Are you putting any dihedral in it?

IcedStorm777

I would reccomend something like the project air jet. It glided well, had a long flight time. could go both fast and slow, and had lots of power to get out of bad situations. Also a pretty simple jet.